- "We've had a lot of fun together. Traveled all over the world together, been in many, many situations together and that kind of parallels the Harts. We bring a lot of ourselves to these characters. There's a rhythm. We improvise a great deal, and I've never had that in a working relationship with anyone else before." 1
- The working relationship has been the fullest one that I have ever had in my life. To spend five or six years with one woman and to have the joy that I have had out of it.... you become very close. That was a very, very gifted relationship." 2
- "I never thought of anyone to play my wife other than Stefanie Powers," We worked together previously on an episode of It Takes a Thief and I liked her a lot. Her style of acting is perfect for me. She's a terrific contributor and a total professional. I'm thoroughly comfortable working with her.." 3
- "That's absolutely true. I always believed that she would be perfect as Jennifer and she was. We've been together on the show a long time now and worked a lot together. She's a consummate professional." 4
- "I enjoy Stefanie a lot. She makes me laugh. She's got a great spirit, and I find her always interesting. We sort of have the same kind of feelings about a great many things. 5
- "There's something very special about the chemistry between us."... I've worked with some of the greatest actresses in the business-including Elizabeth Taylor- but Stefanie is tops. We've never been romantically involved in real life, but we've always been very good friends. That makes it more fun to act amorous and passionate on camera. We're thrilled to be working together again and we can joke about it. And I know all the people who loved Hart to Hart always enjoyed the lovey-dovey scenes between Stefanie and me. So get ready! There will b plenty more of the hot stuff in the new episodes." 6
- " I've probably spent more time with Stefanie than with any other woman I've ever known- more than with my mother, I think. I've held her in my arms when she has been crying and when she's been laughing her head off. I have a lot of respect, great friendship for her. " 7
- "Hart was in its third year, and Stefanie and I had become close. She'd had the trauma with Holden's death and she held my hand. I really thank God for her. I'd go up on my lines, or get upset, or I'd lose confidence.. no matter what, she'd never let me out of her sight. 8
- Stefanie is very handy.. I'm sure that if I got into any trouble- as Jonathan Hart or as Robert Wagner- she'd take somebody out for me. Or at least try." 9
- RJ says the success of the onscreen relationship with Stefanie is because they have never pursued a relationship off-screen. "We've never been romantically involved in real-life, but we've always been good friends." 10
- "Hart to Hart has been a gift for me. I mean, from the begining, it just a very wonderful feeling about it. The working relationship has been the fullest one that I have ever had in my life. To spend five or six years with one woman and to have the joy that I have had out of it.... you become very close. That was a very, very gifted relationship." 11
- She's a friend and a real pro - very, very intelligent. She's very appealing, obviously, but we're talking working 14 to 18 hours a day, 10 months a year, doing an hour-long weekly series. I could not have done that with my wife; there would be no social life and home comes first. 12
" You have to have the right partner to play this kind of romance. It's a certain kind of style. You have to have a leading lady that has the sense of comedy - the style of it. And I'm fortunate enough to have that kind of leading lady. " 13
The following comments come from an interview that RJ did with Larry King in 2002. Note: RJ mentions the wrong show, he should have said It Takes a Theif not Switch.
King : A lot of people thought you were married
Wagner: Yes, the relationship worked great, didn't it?
King: It did.
Wagner: You know, I'd worked with her before. She worked with me on a series I did, Switch.
King: I remember Switch.
Wagner : Yes, I was crazy about her. And when this came around to the casting, you know, I said -- and the man who really, you know, directed the first one and kind of created Hart to Hart was Tom Mankiewicz. And Tom and I both said, got to have her. She's the one. " 14What Stefanie thinks of RJ
- Stefanie describes RJ as " a best friend, brother, father and a husband all rolled into one" 15
- Stefanie admits that that the chemistry Jonathan and Jennifer have on screen would not work if she was not friends with RJ. "He's so easy and professional, such a terrific gentleman. He makes my work infinitely easier than I could ever imagine otherwise. Jennifer Hart could not exist without Jonathan. Those two characters and the rapport we have in those roles couldn't be realized with anyone but R.J." 16
- When asked about their "warm relationship" was real, that is were they as good friends as they seemed, Stefanie said " that's because we're married (pause) to other people (laughter from the audience) ..that took awhile - got that?" 17
- "I've never had it before, either." ( Agreeing with RJ when he said that "We've had a lot of fun together. Traveled all over the world together, been in many, many situations together and that kind of parallels the Harts. We bring a lot of ourselves to these characters. There's a rhythm. We improvise a great deal, and I've never had that in a working relationship with anyone else before." 18
- No-one does this alone. There is no Jennifer without Jonathan, and , um, we've always had a wonderful working rapport, likened to a tennis match. 19
- "There's never been any ego problem there, and that's made our working relationship and life absolutely remarkable and totally pleasurable." 20.
- The chemistry between them] "I don't know what that is. I don't want to analyze it too much because I'm afraid it might run away." 21
- He's my buddy and neither of us has spent so much time with another single man, woman or child. 22
- "We got a lot of mail from fans who thought that we were perfect for each other. When RJ lost his wife Natalie Wood, and I lost my close friend, William Holden, a lot of the public wanted us to get married for real. I consider that a tribute to the effect we created on screen. I adore RJ. He got me the part of Jennifer. The TV company wanted another actress but RJ kept pushing and eventually they gave in. We had known each other for many years and maybe realised what sort of sparks we could generate. But there was no question of us getting married. The chemistry between us on TV was a very happy accident." 23
- Bob is one of the most exciting people I have ever met. I mean that in a sincere and a pure way. One has to make that point when one is interviewed. Bob is attractive, but he is happy and I am happy, both of us have very successful relationships, he married and I not. Anyway, he is great fun to work with." 24
- "When double tragedy struck we bonded together. Robert and I were a great help to each other.It would have been very hard to get through otherwise." 25 This quote is continued in another magazine where she says " We found solace working and we had the strength to pull through. It was a rough time for us both." 26
- "R.J. 'I like this guy, He s all right. He understands me." 27
- "I love the guy . He's been an international star since he was 20 but he's so balanced and he's so fair He's never temperamental, always gives everyone their due. Believe me. I've been around and that's rare ... rare. 28
."If it wasn't for Wagner this show would not work. He owns half of 'Hart to Hart" and he fights the producers for whatever quality we have. At least this show attempts to have some charm. That is what he sells, Robert Wagner sells charm, which is the most difficult thing to do." 29
- ." Steffie's beauty is not from genetics, it's because she is talented, because there's something going on in that brain. Anyone can be great playing great roles- no sweat. I've done it: Shakespeare, Chekov, Brecht. Go ahead and be great." (with a wicked chuckle) "wid' ordinary lines. That takes real technique. She's a very skilful actress, very. I'm delighted for her at the success at the show. It came at the right time, because if this had bombed she'd have been in real trouble. When a woman hits around 40 in this town. I don't have to tell you what happens. The whole set-up is anti-female. It's very tough for women in this racket because the power's in the hands of the men." 30
- He's a great supporting actor in that he makes me look good as a leading man. He's a great strong person to bounce lines off of." 30
- 'Oh he was wonderful. He polished our luster and made us look great." 30
- "He was a wonderful foil; he was a wonderful person. He's always give a 1000 percent. He was a exceptional human being."