Churches‎ > ‎

Merriam Christian Chapel

Brief History
of
Merriam Christian Chapel 
Merriam, Indiana

The history was taken  from a Merriam Christian Chapel directory dated sometime after January 17, 1965.  The church, a Noble County landmark, is located one half mile, more or less, northwest of Merriam just off US 33.  Contributed by Dave Winebrenner

          The Merriam Christian Chapel was organized June 8, 1843.  The congregation consisted of a small group of believers, saved in a revival meeting which was held in the  home of David and Barbara Winebrenner by the Reverend Peter Banta.  For many years they met in homes and in the school house for worship.  The church became affiliated with the Eel River Conference of Christian Churches.  

          On August 29, 1852, one-half acre of land was purchased from Jacob and Sarah Kitt.  On this site a wood frame building was built, dedicated and paid for in the less than three years.  

          In 1880, a larger brick building was constructed under the leadership of the pastor, Reverend Peter Winebrenner.  It was dedicated August 21, 1881.  

          In 1893, the Merriam Christian Chapel became a part of the Congregational Christian Conference as a result of the uniting of two denominations.  In 1947, the congregation broke its ties with the denomination and became an independent church.         

          Due to the necessity for expansion, more land was purchased from Don and Opal Resler in 1951.  In March, 1953, the ground was broken for the new building.  The congregation labored together in the construction and on March 31, 1957, the new Indiana Limestone edifice was dedicated, debt free.  

          Because of God's continued blessing, more room was required.  An educational unit was added and some remodeling done in 1964.  The present edifice was dedicated January 17, 1965.  

          The first parsonage was built in 1895 and Reverend and Mrs. Peter Winebrenner were the first occupants.  In 1958, the parsonage was traded to Don & Opal Resler for more acreage north of the church for the erection of a new parsonage.  It was dedicated, debt free on October 2, 1960.  The Reverend Franklin Orr family were the first occupants.  

          "To God be the glory, -- great things He hath done." 

Comments