NMSU-AAUP Mission Statement:
Recognizing that working conditions for faculty and staff are the
learning conditions for students, and that our strong collective voice
is the crucial mechanism for enhancing that connection, NMSU-AAUP is
- Advancing NMSU’s mission as a public research university that serves
its students and all the people of New Mexico, through the creation and
transfer of knowledge in the liberal arts, the natural and social
sciences, and the professions.
- Protecting and improving the quality of public education, research,
and service at NMSU while promoting access to public higher education, especially for underrepresented groups.
- Ensuring that every faculty member—especially those from underrepresented groups—tenured and non-tenured, librarian, researcher, and department head who also teaches, has a
respected, individual voice in determining our working conditions and in
making the decisions that affect the future of the university.
- Making the promise of shared governance in the academic realm a
reality by demanding institutional transparency regarding information,
decision-making processes, and implementation procedures in the
allocation of resources affecting our working conditions.
- Speaking in a collective voice to preserve the principles of
academic freedom, free speech and inquiry that provide the foundation
for the academic community that constitutes a great university.