The National Training Centre of Bharat Scouts &
Guides is situated at the heart of Madhya Pradesh, the only hill station in
the central part of the country.
LOCATION AND HISTORY :
Situated at an altitude of 3,500 ft and surrounded by
the profuse greenery of the hills bridal paths and tranquil forest glades,
Pachmarhi - the most verdant jewel of Satpura Range, also called as Queen of
Satpura, situated in Madhya Pradesh State of India has a place of eminence in
the Scouting and Guiding Movement too, as it houses the National Training
Centre-a temple of learning for the trainees.
the year 1933 when Col. J.S. Wilson, the then Camp Chief of International
Training Centre at Gilwell conducted a Wood Badge course at Pachmarhi, Justice
Vivian Bose, Commissioner of the then Central Province (now Madhya Pradesh),
had been a regular visitor to the area.
Soon after merger of various Scout & Guide
Associations in 1950 a need was felt to develop a National Training Centre.
In the second meeting of the Dy.Camp Chiefs at Pachmarhi from December 26-31,
1954, the choice fell on Pachmarhi because of its Central geographic
position, natural surroundings, suitability for camping, hiking, rock
climbing, exploration, and easy accessibility. Due to relentless efforts of
Dr. Hridaynath Kunzru, the then National Commissioner, 56 acres of land was
allotted by the State Govt. through the support of Shri Mangaldas Pakvasa,
the then Governor of Madhya Pradesh and the dream came true in 1956.
THE RARE MONUMENT :
A Monument of a Scout and a Guide has
been erected in the army area which is unique in its character. This is to
commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Wood Badge Training in India.
OF AGE HUT
hut was built to commemorate the completion of Silver Jubilee of National
at National Training Center :
Plan of the National Training Centre was prepared by Mr. Polk, an eminent
American Architect and constructions were made. The training Centre is
divided into various sections-Administrative Block, B.P. Memorial Bhawan,
Kunzru Community Hall, Staff quarters and Camping Areas like Thurman Park,
Queenie Park, Vivian Park, Nagazia Park, Farm Area, Lalit Cub Bulbul Park,
National Adventure Institute, Laxmi Mazumdar Park. The centre occupies 56
Acres of wooded land. It is open to both groups and individuals throughout
the year for camping, sight seeing or for exploring.
Administrative Block (Seth Kriodi Mal
Bhawan) : Administrative Block is named after Seth Kirodi Mal, a
philanthropist. The offices of both the Dy. Directors Training are housed in
this building. The office is equipped with modern facilities like computers,
internet, photocopier, fax etc. The NTC is also put on E-mail service (firstname.lastname@example.org). Ph. No. 07578
252026, Fax. 07578 252541, National Adventure Institute : 07578 252350. E-mail
Memorial Guide Bhawan : Late Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, laid the
foundation stone of this building on 10th Sep. 1956. It is a beautiful two
storied building on a hillock. It was inaugurated by Lady Baden Powell on 22
February 1961. Comforts with modern amenities are available here. Each room
is named after a state which has contributed for furnishing the same. The
Bhawan has 3 rooms on the ground floor and 10 on the first floor. There is a
very big lounge and dining hall furnished by the Railway State Associations.
include accommodation for 68 persons in Building and for approximately 900
campers in seven different sites. During the main winter and summer a variety
of camping activities take place which include Adventure Activities,
Trekking, Rock Climbing, Parasailing, Boating at adjacent Pachmarhi Lake and
Horse Riding etc. The Adventure Institute at BS&G conducts periodical
Trekking & Outings. International Friendship activities take place every
year. Young people visit the Adventure Centre, thus ensuring a unique
Olave Scout Bhawan : An
annexe constructed with BP Bhawan is named as Olave Scout Bhawan. This was
opened by Gen K.P. Candeth, Director General Youth Services. Govt. of India
on 9th November 1975. It has two dormitories-one with 14 beds and the other
with 8 beds with other amenities and toilets. The Bhawan is also used by
Scout/Guide Leaders and their families who like to enjoy holidays on the
Hall : This community hall is named after
Dr. Hridaynath Kunzru, the first National Commissioner. It is used for indoor
activities, Conferences, Seminars, Meetings, Shows etc. and can accommodate
more than 400 Scouts and guides.
Below the BP
Bhawan Hillock, there are quarters for Dy. Directors, Leader Trainers,
Adventure Programme Officer, Estate Manager, Warden-cum-Quartermaster and
other staff members.
Water : Water in Pachmarhi is very good.
The National Training Centre has three alternative arrangements for water
from where water is pumped into a 100,000 gallons pressed Steel Reservoir.
Transport : The National Training Centre and
the National Adventure Institute at the Centre have been equipped with 1 Jeep
& 1 Gypsy.
Canteen : There is a canteen almost in the
midst of the camping site which is being run at the National Training Centre
to cater to the needs of the participants of all events, visitors, guests
etc. Eatables and items of daily use can be procured from the canteen.
Facility for PCO, STD is available in the Canteen.
Shop : The camping site has also an
equipment shop which fulfills the needs of the campers for supplying
necessary equipments and literature.
Medical Store : All important medicines are available at Medical Stores in
Banking : There are branches of 2 Banks.
State Bank of India & Khetriya Grameen Bank.
Post Office with facilities like Speed Post.
service is also available.
situated in the Queenie Park is named after Madam Iris Ferris - the first
Director of the WAGGGS, World Bureau. It contains a treasure of books
pertaining to Guide wing. This is extended to a hall where indoor meetings of
Guide wing are held.
Library : It is added with a documentation
centre. The library is named after Mr. Padolina, a former Regional Executive
Commissioner of Far East Scout Region who had great love for Bharat Scouts
& Guides. This is a treasure house of rare books of the past as well as
present and is equipped with Audio-visual aids.
CAMPING AREAS AND PARKS
A speciality of the National Training Centre is that
different areas have been named after top volunteers and professionals in
honour of their distinguished services and love for the Scout and Guide
Movement. They have been source of inspiration to others. The centre owes a
lot to Smt. Lakshmi Mazumdar, former National Commissioner whose constant
efforts and inexpressible love for Pachmarhi contributed to the progress of
this Centre. The Dhiman Square is the key area consisting of ‘Reception Hut’,
Main Store and Padolina Library, named after Shri R. S. Dhiman former
National Training Commissioner (S) & Lalit Cub Bulbul Park named after
our present National Commissioner Shri Lalit Mohan Jain, I.A.S. (Retd.).
are as many as seven camp areas viz., Queenie Park, Thurman Park, Vivian
Park, Nagazia, New Camping Complex, Sardar Laskhman Singh Park, Lalit Mohan
Cub & Bulbul Park. There is also a big store in the camping area.
New Camping Complex : To encourage more Camps for Scouts / Guides, Adult Leaders, Clubs,
Institutions, Groups, Sports and Youth activity club, another Camping Complex
has been added in the Bhawan area with built-in-bath rooms, toilets, kitchen,
TRAINING PROGRAMMES :
National Training Centre conducts several Training Courses all round the
year. Courses for Leader Trainers, Assistant Leader Trainers, Pre Assistant
Leader Trainers, Himalaya Wood Badge Courses, Re-orientation Courses for
Trainers, Courses for Commissioners, specialised courses and workshops are
conducted. The triennial meets of trainers - Sandhan are also held. The
centre is equipped with competent members of the Training Staff who are
functioning under the leadership of the Deputy Directors of Training of both
connected by road with Bhopal, Itarsi and Pipariya. Pipariya is the rail head
Air Route : The nearest air link for Pachmarhi is Bhopal from where
Pachmarhi is 210 Km away by road. Visitors from abroad can have direct flight
from New Delhi to Bhopal.
Rail Route : The
nearest railway station is Pipariya, located on the Jabalpur-Itarsi section
of the Central Railway. Pipariya is 67 KM from Itarsi, 178 KM from Jabalpur,
813 KM from Mumbai CST, 863 km from Delhi, 1361 KM from Howrah and 1464 KM
from Chennai central. Direct fast and comfortable trains are also available
from New Delhi to Bhopal.
Road Route : Direct bus services are available from Pipariya, Bhopal,
Nagpur, Indore. It is about five hours journey by road from Bhopal to
from M.P.SRTC buses, in season M.P. Tourism Development Corpn. Transport
Service from Bhopal and Jeep/Sumo at regular intervals from Pipariya are
2. The facility of Rail reservation through computerized network is
available at Pipariya and Pachmarhi.