- PhD, Environmental Resources Engineering, Expected 2014, College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY (Advisor: Dr. Lindi J. Quackenbush)
- MS Forestry (Forest hydrology), 2010, Auburn University, AL (Advisors: Dr. Mark Dougherty and Dr. Latif Kalin), Thesis: Use of Remotely Sensed Data to Quantify Plant Water Use from Irrigated Lands in Wolf Bay Watershed Area
- BS Forestry, 2006, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
WORK EXPERIENCESince Aug 2013, Graduate Assistant, ESF
Duties: Teaching Assistant for ERE 551 GIS for Engineers
June-Aug 2013: Conservation Science Intern, World Wildlife Fund (WWF)-US, Washington,DC Duties: Populate input GIS and raster data for running InVEST water yield model; calibrate
and validate the model.
August 2012-May 2013 Graduate Assistant, , ESF
Duties: Teaching Assistant for ERE 551 GIS for Engineers and Intro to Engineering design
Duties: Image classification and and land cover change analysis in three NY watersheds
May-Aug 2012, Research Aide, Research Foundation of NY, Syracuse, New York
Aug 2011-May 2012 Graduate Assistant, ESF
Duties: Teaching Assistant for ERE 551 GIS for Engineers; Mechanic of Materials, Intro to
Engineering design, Statics and Dynamics)
Aug 2010-Aug 2011, Research Project Assistant,
Research Foundation of NY,
Duties: Pixel and object based appraoch of monitoring forest health conditions
Aug 2008-Aug 2010: Biosytems Engineering Graduate Research Assistant, Auburn
Duties: Worked on remote sensing of evapotranspiration and plant water use
Jun 2007-Dec 2007: International Corps Member, EarthCorps, Seattle, Washington
Duties: Performed several environmental restoration works and community engagement
activities in the state of Washington.
Two papers are currently under review process.
- Bhattarai, N., Dougherty, M., Marzen, L., and Kailn, L., 2012. Validation of evapotranspiration estimates from a modified surface energy balance algorithms for land (SEBAL) model in the southeastern US.Remote sensing letters, 3 (6): 511-519. (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2011.632655)
OTHER PUBLISHED WORKS
- Bhattarai, N. and Quackenbush, L.J. 2013. A data fusion approach for monitoring remotely sensed seasonal evapotranspiration. Abstract H43G-1564 presented at 2013 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Fransisco, CA, December 9-13, 2013.
- Bhattarai, N., Quackenbush, L.J., Calandra, L., Im, J., and Teale, S., 2012. An automated object-based approach to detect Sirex-infestation in pines. In ASPRS 2012 Annual conference, Sacramento, CA, March 19-23, 2012
- Bhattarai, N., Quackenbush, L.J., Calandra, L., Im, J., and Teale, S., 2011. Spectral analysis of scotch pine infested by sirex noctillo. In ASPRS 2011 Annual conference, May 1-5, 2011, Milwaukee, WI, pp 48-57.
- Bhattarai, N. 2010. Use of Remotely Sensed Data to Quantify Plant Water Use from Irrigated Lands in Wolf Bay Watershed Area, MS Thesis, Auburn University.
- Bhattarai, N., Dougherty, M., Marzen, L., and Kailn, L., 2009. Use of Surface Energy Balance Algorithm to Estimate Evapotranspiration from Landsat 5 TM Imagery. Poster presented at Annual Alabama Water Resources Conference, September 9-11, 2009, Orange Beach, AL.
- A data fusion approach for monitoring remotely sensed seasonal evapotranspiration. 2013 American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall meetings Dec 9-13, 2013, San Francisco, CA.
- Using remote sensing and geospatial techniques in hydrological applications. NYGeoCon. NYGIS Association, Saratoga Springs, NY Nov 12-13, 2013
- A coupled multi-sensor fusion and surface enegy balance algorithm appraoch to derive spatially-distributed evapotranspiration. 22nd GIS/SIG Annual spatial/Digital Mapping Conference, APril 16, 2013, Pittsford, NY
- Application of remote sensing and surface energy balance algorithms in estimating evapotranspiration in the southeastern US. 24th ASPRS 2013 annual conference, March 24-28, 2013, Baltimore, MD.
- An automated object-based approach to detect Sirex-infestation in pines. 23rd ASPRS 2012 annual conference, March 19-23, 2012, Sacramento, CA.
- Use of surface energy balance algorithm for land (SEBAL) model to estimate daily evapotranspiration from Landsat 5 TM imagery. 23rd Annual AL water resources conference, September 9-11, 2009, Orange Beach, AL.
- AGU Student travel award (2013), American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Graduate Student travel grant (2013-2014), Graduate school, SUNY-ESF
- 2013 Graduate Student of the year from the Central New York Region, American Society for Photogrammtery and Remote Sensing (ASPRS)
- 2013 Ta Liang Memorial Award, ASPRS
- Graduate student travel grant, Graduate Student Association (GSA), SUNY-ESF
- RvD Idea Awards, Raymond Von Dran Fund, Syracuse University
- Research in Need travel grant, GSA, SUNY-ESF
- Graduate student travel grant, Graduate School, SUNY-ESF
- Tuition fellowships (2010-2014), SUNY-ESF
- Tuition fellowships (2008-2010), Auburn University
- Merit scholarship, Tribhuvan University
- ConForM/Danida fellowship (BS thesis work), Tribhuvan University
- Research: Matlab, ArcGIS, ERDAS IMAGINE, ENVI, VBA, python, SAS, SigmaPlot, HEC-HMS, Q-GIS
- Other: MS SQL SERVER, MYSQL, MS office packages, MS publisher, AutoCAD, Photoshop, SPSS