PhD, Environmental Resources Engineering, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY
MS, Forestry, Auburn University, Auburn, AL
BS, Forestry, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Research Fellow, School of Natural Resources and Environment, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Aug 2015- Sep 2015: Postdoctoral Fellow, Tufts University, Medford, MA
Jan-May 2015: STEM Mentor,
Research Foundation for SUNY,
Sep- Dec 2014: Research Project Assistant,
Research Foundation for SUNY,
Jun-Aug 2014: Field/Research Tech, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
Aug 2011-May 2014: Graduate Assistant, SUNY-ESF
June-Aug 2013: Conservation Science Intern, World Wildlife Fund (WWF)-US, Washington,DC
May-Aug 2012: Research Aide, Research Foundation for SUNY, Syracuse, New York
Aug 2010-Aug 2011: Research Project Assistant,
Research Foundation for SUNY,
Aug 2008-Aug 2010: Biosytems Eng. Graduate Research Assistant, Auburn University, AL
Jun 2007-Dec 2007: International Corps Member, EarthCorps, Seattle, Washington
P. Arima, E., VanWey, L, Cohn, A., and Bhattarai, N. Are Brazil’s Deforesters Avoiding Detection? Conservation
- Bhattarai, N., Shaw, S.B., Quackenbush, L.J., Im, J., and Niraula, R. 2016. Evaluating Five Remote Sensing based Single-source Surface Energy Balance Models for Estimating Daily Evapotranspiration in a Humid Subtropical Climate. International Journal of Applied Earth Observations and Geoinformation 49:75-86. Link
- Bhattarai, N., Quackenbush, L.J., Dougherty, M., and Marzen, L. 2015. A simple Landsat–MODIS fusion approach for monitoring seasonal evapotranspiration at 30 m spatial resolution. International Journal of Remote Sensing 36: 115-143.Link
- Shaw, S.B., Marrs, J., Bhattarai, N., and Quackenbush, L.J. 2014. Longitudinal Study of the Impacts of Land Cover Change on Hydrologic Response in Four Mesoscale Watersheds in New York State, USA. Journal of Hydrology 519: 12-22. Link
- Bhattarai, N., Dougherty, M., Marzen, L., and Kailn, L., 2012. Validation of evaporation estimates from a modified surface energy balance algorithms for land (SEBAL) model in the southeastern US. Remote Sensing Letters 3: 511-519.Link
- Single-source surface energy balance algorithms to estimate evapotranspiration from satellite-based remotely sensed data, PhD Thesis 2015
- Use of Remotely Sensed Data to Quantify Plant Water Use from Irrigated Lands in Wolf Bay Watershed Area, MS Thesis 2010.
- Bhattarai, N. and Quackenbush, L.J. 2013. A data fusion approach for monitoring remotely sensed seasonal evapotranspiration. Abstract H43G-1564, 2013 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Fransisco, CA, December 9-13, 2013.
- Bhattarai, N., Quackenbush, L.J., Calandra, L., Im, J., and Teale, S., 2012. An automated object-based approach to detect Sirex-infestation in pines. In ASPRS 2012 Annual conference, Sacramento, CA, March 19-23, 2012
- Bhattarai, N., Quackenbush, L.J., Calandra, L., Im, J., and Teale, S., 2011. Spectral analysis of scotch pine infested by sirex noctillo. In ASPRS 2011 Annual conference, May 1-5, 2011, Milwaukee, WI, pp 48-57.
- Bhattarai, N. 2010. Use of Remotely Sensed Data to Quantify Plant Water Use from Irrigated Lands in Wolf Bay Watershed Area, MS Thesis, Auburn University.
- Bhattarai, N., Dougherty, M., Marzen, L., and Kailn, L., 2009. Use of Surface Energy Balance Algorithm to Estimate Evapotranspiration from Landsat 5 TM Imagery. Poster presented at Annual Alabama Water Resources Conference, September 9-11, 2009, Orange Beach, AL.
Advanced: Matlab and R
Other: SSH secure Client, Cygwin, ArcGIS, ERDAS IMAGINE, QGIS, ENVI, VBA,C/C++ MS SQL SERVER, MYSQL, WinSCP, MS office packages, MS publisher, AutoCAD, Photoshop, SPSS, SAS, SigmaPlot, HEC-HMS.
- Comparison of four single-source surface energy balance-based models for estimating remotely sensed daily evapotranspiration. ASABE 2014 International Symposium on Evapotranspiration. April 7-11, 2014, Raleigh, NC.
- Introduction of automated calibration approaches to the surface energy balance-based evapotranspiration algorithms, ASPRS annual Conference, Mar 23-27, 2014, Louisville, KY
- A data fusion approach for monitoring remotely sensed seasonal evapotranspiration. 2013 American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall meetings, Dec 9-13, 2013, San Francisco, CA.
- Using remote sensing and geospatial techniques in hydrological applications. NYGeoCon. NYGIS Association, Saratoga Springs, NY Nov 12-13, 2013
- A coupled multi-sensor fusion and surface enegy balance algorithm appraoch to derive spatially-distributed evapotranspiration. 22nd GIS/SIG Annual spatial/Digital Mapping Conference, APril 16, 2013, Pittsford, NY
- Application of remote sensing and surface energy balance algorithms in estimating evapotranspiration in the southeastern US. 24th ASPRS 2013 annual conference, March 24-28, 2013, Baltimore, MD.
- An automated object-based approach to detect Sirex-infestation in pines. 23rd ASPRS 2012 annual conference, March 19-23, 2012, Sacramento, CA.
- Use of surface energy balance algorithm for land (SEBAL) model to estimate daily evapotranspiration from Landsat 5 TM imagery. 23rd Annual AL water resources conference, September 9-11, 2009, Orange Beach, AL.
- AGU Student travel award for 2013 Fall meetings, American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Ta Liang Memorial Award, ASPRS: Photo
- Graduate Student travel grant (2012, 2013, 2014), Graduate school, SUNY-ESF
- 2013 Graduate Student of the year from the Central New York Region, ASPRS : Click for photo
- RvD Idea Awards, Raymond Von Dran Fund, Syracuse University
- Research in Need travel grant, Graduate Student Association (GSA), SUNY-ESF
- Merit scholarship, BS in Forestry, Tribhuvan University (2006)
- ConForM/Danida fellowship for undergraduate research, Tribhuvan University (2005/2006)
- Reviewer: International Journal of Remote Sensing, Hydrological Processes, IEEE-JSTARS, Remote Sensing, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, GIScience & Remote Sensing
- Student Assistant and volunteer during ASPRS conferences (2012-2014 Annual conferences)