Ambulance station unit 8 unit 6 unit 5 Cottage 1 Cottage 3 Cottage 2 Connolly Lodge Cottonwood Lodge Auditorium-Day care Valleyview Pavillion hillside unit Roadside Leeside Brookside North Lawn East Lawn West Lawn Centre Lawn Bakery Transport Services Firehall Hey building Administration Fernwood Lodge Distribution Centre Industrial services Pennington Hall Tuck Shoppe Crease Clinic Lougheed Highway Pitt River road Holly Drive Birch Crescent Holly Drive Holly Drive Oak Crescent Pine Terrace Orchid Drive Lawn Drive Fern Terrace Fern Terrace Holly Drive Clover Street Kerria Drive Kerria Drive Sorrel Street Campion Way Campion Way Campion Way Iris Crescent Rose Way Pine Terrace Thyme Drive Sundew Drive Holly Drive Boxwood Drive Lilac Place Palm Terrace Sage Place Colony Farm Colony Farm Soccer field old orchard maintenance yard Compost pile Nursery Finnie's Garden Cottage 121 Cottage 120 Cottage 119 Cottage 118 Cottage 116 Cottage 115 Cottage 114 Cottage 113 Cottage 112 Cottage 111 Cottage 110 Cottage 109 Cottage 108 Cottage 107 Cottage 106 Cottages 103,104,105 Garage Boilerhouse Central supply Transformer station Receiving station BCMHAS Fraser Health Coast Mental Health foundation New View Society ARES SCD Maps BMN RHCS Home Waterline road Waterline road Baseball field Cemetery Cemetery shed Maintenance garage House of Howard Washroom Serenity Garden Telephone exchange Patient Review Cypress Chilco Niftyniall-dot-blogspot-dot-com

Links to many blogs, and information about the many groups that use the Riverview Hospital site in one way or another.
        Many of the blogs are concerned with the historical aspects of the buildings, eventually the very extensive social history will also be put into them.  Riverview Cemetery

Fraser Health, also operates three buildings on the property:  Connolly Lodge - Cottonwood Lodge - Cypress Lodge



 







 



 
 Artists conception of the West Lawn building  Aerial view, mid 1930's
East Lawn

   

 

Return to Cottages chapter --- Return to the MAP or go to the HOME page

Click on the building names.

BAKERY --- RIVERVIEW BOILERHOUSE - ESSONDALE BOILERHOUSE
BUS STOP-TUCK SHOP --- STATION HOUSE - FIRE HALL
CENTRAL SUPPLY and SERVICES - LAUNDRY and STORES
FORENSIC PSYCHIATRIC INSTITUTE --- GROUNDS MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT BUILDING
RIVERVIEW HOSPITAL ADMINISTRATION - ESSONDALE NURSES' HOME #1
FERNWOOD LODGE - NURSES’ HOME #2
PATIENT SERVICES --- LUMBER STORAGE - BARN
CREDIT UNION BUILDING - TELEPHONE / CREDIT UNION --- TRANSPORT GARAGE
ROADSIDE - NURSES' RESIDENCE --- LEESIDE - NURSES' RESIDENCE --- BROOKSIDE- NURSES' RESIDENCE
INDUSTRIAL SERVICES-INDUSTRIAL THERAPY --- DISTRIBUTION CENTRE - PHARMACY
FORENSIC ACTIVITY BUILDING --- SEWAGE PUMPING STATION
GARAGES
OIL RECEIVING STATION --- ELECTRICAL SUBSTATION
Serenity Garden WASHROOM
DAY CARE - CHAPEL / AUDITORIUM
UNIT 5 (X and Y) 100 BED HOME FOR AGED --- UNIT 6 (X&Y) 100 BED HOME FOR AGED
UNIT 8 (X&Y) 100 BED HOME FOR AGED
ELECTRICITY RECEIVING STATION --- CEMETERY SHED
CEMETERY --- BASEBALL FIELD --- SOCCER FIELD


CENTRE LAWN FEMALE UNIT 1924

Last building to close in 2012. ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Check out the CENTRE LAWN blog, for more information, especially the historical aspects. A set of photographs of Centre Lawn at Flickr

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


WEST LAWN MALE CHRONIC 1913

Shut down in 1986. Was used for a while by the movie industry.   The oldest building on the site at this time.

View a photo set of West Lawn at Flickr .  Check out the WEST LAWN blog, for more information, especially the historical aspects.

    ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


HEY BUILDING HENRY ESSON YOUNG building - Nurses # 11 1957

Closed in 2012. ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF ).    A set of photographs of the Hey building at Flickr

Check out the HENRY ESSON YOUNG building blog, for more information.

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


PENN HALL PENNINGTON HALL 1951

.

Check out the PENN HALL blog, for more information. ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF ).
A set of old and more recent photographs of Pennington Hall at Flickr

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


CREASE CLINIC CREASE CLINIC FOR PSYCHOLOGICAL MEDICINE 1930-4 1949 addition

Now used extensively by the movie industry.  ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )
                                                    ( Crease Clinic, Dining Block 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Check out the CREASE CLINIC blog, for more information, especially the historical aspects.

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


EAST LAWN FEMALE CHRONIC BUILDING 1930

Shut down in 2006. Now primarily used by the movie industry.  ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )
 The Pharmaceutical Distribution Centre,(PDC) moved into the old pharmacy area in 2007, while there off-site building was being renovated.

Check out the EAST LAWN blog, for more information, especially the historical aspects.   A set of photographs of East Lawn at Flickr

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


NORTH LAWN TUBERCULOSIS UNIT 1955

Shut down in 2007. Now abandoned. In 2013 being used by the movie industry, who painted portions of the front.

Check out the NORTH LAWN blog, for more information, especially the historical aspects. ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


BAKERY 1940, 1946

The Bakery now sits abandoned. The largest part of it is constructed of cinder blocks. These buildings have seen many changes through their years.

You can clearly see at least three alterations in the first image on the right.

 

   


Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


RIVERVIEW BOILERHOUSE - ESSONDALE BOILERHOUSE 1924-1925

The blue panel and glass structure was built in 1971, when the conversion from coal to gas/ oil firing occurred.

The WSI operations people have moved into this building from their previous home in unit 5 (X and Y) building

Apparently,  Ken Varma 604-482-7002  Cell: 604-315-5227   ken.varma@wsi.brookfieldjci.com  is the contact person.

According to this WSI Operations Centre PDF information directory

 

 

 

 


 

 

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


BUS STOP/TUCK SHOP 1955

( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

 


 





 

 

 

 

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


STATION HOUSE - FIRE HALL 1930-1931

( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

 




 

 

 


 



 




 


 
 

 

North Lawn in the background

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


CENTRAL SUPPLY & SERVICES - LAUNDRY & STORES 1951


Dry Cleaning plant
 

 Dry cleaning, spotting bench
 

Stores
 


 

 

Under construction
 



 

 


Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


FORENSIC PSYCHIATRIC INSTITUTE 1961

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


GROUNDS MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT BUILDING 1935

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


RIVERVIEW HOSPITAL ADMINISTRATION - ESSONDALE NURSES' HOME #1 1928-1930

For more information go to the nursesresidences blogspot     ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

 


 

 

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


FERNWOOD LODGE - NURSES’ HOME #2 1937   AKA " Cinder Hill "

Today it is used by numerous community groups, some are listed here;
Society for Community Development and PLEA a group that mentors young people in trouble.

For more information go to the nursesresidences blogspot  ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

 


 



 






Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


PATIENT SERVICES 1961

( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

 



 



 


Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


LUMBER STORAGE - BARN 1944

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


CREDIT UNION BUILDING - TELEPHONE - CREDIT UNION 1960-1961

 


 



 




Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


TRANSPORT GARAGE 1953-1954

This is one of the small complex of buildings associated with the Transport department. Built at various times.

 


 


 


Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


ROADSIDE - NURSES' RESIDENCE # 6  1948

Today it is used by the Dentistry department, and as offices for grounds security, which today is contracted out to Paladin Security.
Visit the Brookside-Leeside-Roadside blog, for more information. ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


LEESIDE - NURSES' RESIDENCE #7 1948

Used as a patient residence. Visit the Brookside-Leeside-Roadside blog, for more information.  ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

The B.C. Sheriffs Service has been using Leeside, since their fenced parking compound, was created from the parking lot, between Leeside, and Brookside.

   
Leeside
 

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


BROOKSIDE - NURSES' RESIDENCE #8 1948

Still used as a patient residence. Visit the Brookside-Leeside-Roadside blog, for more information.  ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


INDUSTRIAL SERVICES - INDUSTRIAL THERAPY 1962-1963

This building contained numerous departments, including; the Apparel Shop, Carpentry Shop, Emergency Operations Centre(EOS), Central Sterile Supply Department(CSSD), The Riverview Museum, Hairdressing, Art Therapy, Pharmacy.... A set of pictures of the Industrial therapy building at Flickr

 



 


 


 


 


 


Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


Distribution Centre - Pharmacy 1963

Today this building is was used by the Sheriffs, they moved into North Lawn, then into Leeside, and by the, Society for the Preservation of Antique Radio in Canada SPARC A really interesting radio museum. The bottom portion is used by the British Columbia Buildings Corporation,BCBC. Also the Rotary club uses a portion, of the lower floor.

A separate volunteer organization that is associated with Rotary International, operates from the beasement of this building, known as Rotary World Help  they gather up medical equipment and supplies and ship them in containers around the World to the needy.

B.C. Ambulance Services Station 259 is also based out of this building; they are using the portion on the far right, at the back of the building in the photo.

Entrance to the SPARC museum is to the right, under the covered area.

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


FORENSIC ACTIVITY BUILDING unknown date

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


SEWAGE PUMPING STATION - " House of Howard " 1991

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


GARAGES 1933

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


OIL RECEIVING STATION 1990

This is for the emergency use of the boiler House, in case the natural gas supply is interrupted.

The little cinder block shed-like building on the far right.


ELECTRICAL SUBSTATION 1958

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


WASHROOM 1961

Located in the Serenity Garden. It is usually locked, because of vandalism concerns.

 



 


 


Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


CHAPEL / AUDITORIUM 1955-1959

Now used as a day care centre: Kids Cottage Day Care

 


 


 


 


 


 





Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


UNIT 5 (X and Y) - 100 BED HOME FOR AGED 1945-1946

Was used by WSI, who maintain the Riverview property among others, for the Province; they have now moved into the boiler house
( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Today it is used by the:   Ministry of Children and Family Development
Share Community and Family Services  Children and Family development programs
 




 


 

Visit the Home for the Aged-Valleyview blog, for more information.


Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


UNIT 6 (X and Y) - 100 BED HOME FOR AGED 1945-1946

Tri-Cities Home Health , which is a division of Fraser Health use this building today.

Their mailing address...#6-2601 Lougheed Hwy. Coquitlam, BC V3C 4J2

Phone: 604-777-7300 Fax: 604-777-7302

( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

 


 


 


Visit the Home for the Aged-Valleyview blog, for more information.

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


UNIT 8 (X&Y) - 100 BED HOME FOR AGED 1952

Is not used for Hospital use anymore. But the Police and Fire departments, use it for honing their skills.
( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

 


 



 


Visit the Home for the Aged-Valleyview blog, for more information.

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


ELECTRICITY RECEIVING STATION 1957

One of the main electric feeder stations for the grounds. Most of the wires are underground at Riverview, which noticeably reduces the visual impacts, of overhead wires.

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


CEMETERY SHED 1960

A tiny little building, used to store the equipment used to inter people in the Cemetery.

Cemetery shed

Return to Service buildings chapter or Return to Map


CEMETERY

The Cemetery is divided into different sections for the differing theologies.

Pauline Verral; Hospital Health Records. Stated that the first recorded burial in the Riverview cemetery is dated January 10, 1958.
    Slowly starting to photograph the grave markers and create a database which will enable researchers to find the folks buried there a little easier.

    One of the most recent burials was the "Jane Doe" skeleton that was used a teaching aid,
that resided under the care of the museum until the hospital totally shut down.

Some families took care of funeral arrangements while those that did not have any family or family burial plots were buried by the Provincial Government in unmarked graves in the City of New Westminster's public cemetery; Fraser Cemetery, on 100 Richmond St. from around 1908 to early 1920.

Find a grave in: Fraser Cemetery New Westminster ( 1869- )

St. Peters Cemetery, New Westminster. Catholic ( 1880's- )

Schara Tzedeck, New Westminster. Jewish cemetery (1920's-)

Masonic Cemetery Association of British Columbia, Burnaby Cemetery

Genealogy & Bowell Funeral Home records database for New Westminster

From late 1920 to c.1958  many of Essondale Hospital's (today's Riverview Hospital) patients were interred at the Woodlands Cemetery in New Westminster

      Some history of Woodlands

Ocean View Burial Park, Burnaby (1919 to the present )  Find-a-Grave  (very incomplete)

             Ocean View Burial Park official website ( no online listing of internments though )

Forest Lawn Memorial Park (1936 to the present )  Find-a-Grave  (very incomplete)

     Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Burnaby official website ( no online listing of internments though )

There may be some patients who were buried in the Cemetery on Robinson Ave in Coquitlam.

Vancouver's Mountain View Cemetery.  Search for Names

North Vancouver Cemetery  (since 1907, searchable map)

Port Coquitlam cemetery (searchable names and location, opens in their IMap application)

NAME search for people in Surrey's three municipal cemeteries. Cemetery's in Surrey listing

List of deaths for 1919 A Word document file, created from the BC Archives and the Hospital Annual Report for 1920

B.C. Archives 

Search the genealogy section of the British Columbia Archives

The B.C. Archives recently added a genealogy part to the vital statistics pages, images of the original documents are included in many searches" Here is a search using the term Essondale over 9,000 hits.

A few pictures of the cemetery in Panoramio: ONETWOTHREE

Return to Service buildings chapter --- Return to Map or go to the Home page


GROUNDS MAINTENANCE STORAGE YARD


 

 


 


 


 


 

The block building to the left, along with the container were used to store PCB contaminated materials at one time. The building to the right is used to store painting supplies.


But on May 5,1955 a fire broke out with almost total destruction. The loss was great, and the industrial therapy departments, were distributed around the grounds in any unused space that they could find.

The only one building on this site, still survives from before the fire, and that is a garage, ca. 192?.

The building was eventually replaced when the Industrial Services building was built in 1961.

Return to Service buildings chapter --- Return to Map or go to the Home page



Click on Cottage numbers

103 --- 104 --- 105 --- 106 --- 107 --- 108
109 --- 110 --- 111 --- 112 --- 113 --- 114
115 --- 116 --- 118 --- 119 --- 120 --- 121 --- 122

Return to the MAP or go to the HOME page


Henry Whittaker, Supervising Architect Public Works Department 1914-1930

There are also a number of individual residences on the Riverview site, which were built to house administrative and working staff. The surviving staff residences are mainly clustered in three groupings; there are also some interesting landscape features that exist in conjunction with these houses.
These residences are noteworthy as examples of the ancillary buildings that were necessary to the functioning of Essondale as a self-contained site. It is striking how much their design differs according to the status of the occupant; the Medical Officer's houses are much grander and better-appointed than the simple bungalows provided for the regular employees. Consistency in terms of planning and materials was dictated, however, by the Public Works Department. Those that were evaluated as having heritage significance are:


Mini-Care Unit #103: (B21790) Medical Officer's Residence, 1924

A two storey stucco-faced residence, with a hip roof, central chimney, multi-paned windows, and a projecting front Day. In good condition; currently used by Forensic Services.
( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )    More pictures of Cottage 103 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 


 Left-front corner

 Front

 Left side

 


 

 

 Garage    

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Mini-Care Unit #104: (B21808) Medical Officer's Residence, 1930

A two storey residence, with a central offset entry porch, and a hip roof.   ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )
Unlike many of the other residential buildings, it is clad with wide lapped wooden cedar boards. In good condition; currently used by Forensic Services.
    More pictures of Cottage 104 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 

 


 Front  Left-Front corner  Right-Front corner

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Mini-Care Unit #105: (B21816) Medical Officer's Residence, 1926

A two storey stucco-faced residence, with a side entry porch, a hip roof, multi-paned windows, and a projecting front bay. In good condition; currently used by Forensic Services.   ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )  More pictures of Cottage 105 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 


 Front  Left-Front corner  Right-Front corner
 

 


 

   Garage  

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 106: (B21881) Farm Superintendents Residence - Nurses #4  1918

A one and one-half storey stucco-faced residence, with an inset side entry porch, side jerkhin-headed roof, and a jerkhin-headed dormer.
 The plans were signed by Henry Whittaker as Acting Supervising Architect. In good condition; currently used by Vocational Services.
( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )     More pictures of Cottage 106 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 


     
 

 


 

   Cottage 106, on the right. Cottage 107 on the left, Cottage 109 barely visible far right.  

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 107: (B21899) Residence - Nurses # 3 Circa 1920

A two storey stucco-faced residence, symmetrically massed, with a central entry porch, and a hip roof.
In good condition; currently used by the Patient Empowerment Society.  ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )
  More pictures of Cottage 107 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 



 

     


Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 108: (B21873) Chauffeur's Residence, Circa 1927

A two storey stucco-faced residence, symmetrically massed, with an inset side entry porch, multi-paned windows, central chimney, and a hip roof. In good condition; was used by the Patient Sexuality Program. Now used by Coast Cottages, for forensic patients.   ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )
     More pictures of Cottage 108 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 


     

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 109: (B21907) Residence - Nurses #5 Circa 1914-1915

A one and one-half storey stucco-faced residence, with a full open front verandah, side gable roof, central entry, and paired semi-octagonal front hip dormers.
 The entry leads directly to a central open staircase.
 The original front porch columns have been replaced with new steel columns.
 In good condition; currently was used by Pastoral Services and the Volunteer Department. Today, used by Coast Cottages, for forensic patients.
( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )    More pictures of Cottage 109 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 


     

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 110: (B21915) Chief Steward's Residence, Boys' School, Circa 1922

A two storey stucco-faced residence, symmetrically massed, with an offset entry porch, multi-paned windows, and a hip roof. In good condition; was used by the Personal Independence Program, today Coast Cottages, for forensic patients. Built originally for the head of the Boys Industrial School of Coquitlam, ( BISCO )
  ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )     More pictures of Cottage 110 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 



Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 111: (B21923) Official's Residence, 1922

A one and one-half storey stucco-faced residence, with an offset side entry porch with shed roof over, multi-paned windows, a side gable roof, and front and rear jerkhin-headed projections. In good condition.     ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Was used by the Mental Health Law Program. In 2007 it was being used by Coast Mental Health, for Forensic patients. 
    More pictures of Cottage 111 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 

     

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 112: (B21931) Official's Residence, Circa 1922

A one and one-half storey stucco-faced residence, with a full open front verandah, square columns, side gable roof, offset entry, hip front dormer, and rear hip wall dormer.

In good condition; was used by Occupational Therapy: The Green Door. Today used by Coast cottages, for forensic patients.
( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )        More pictures of Cottage 112 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 

     

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 113: (B21949) Official's Residence, Circa 1922

A one and one-half storey stucco-faced residence, with a hip roof, central chimney, multi-paned windows, and projecting front bay. In good condition; was used by Legal Aid; today used by Coast Cottages, for forensic patients.  ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )     More pictures of Cottage 113 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 

     

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 114: (B22228) residence 1940

( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )    More pictures of Cottage 114 can be seen at Flickr.

 



 


 

     

Cottage 115: (B21964) Employees residence 1919-20

( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )      More pictures of Cottage 115 can be seen at Flickr.

 



 


 


 

       

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 116: (B21972) Employee's Residence, 1919-1920

    A one storey Craftsman Bungalow, with a side gable roof and a projecting front gable. There is an inset entry porch with a shallow arched opening, lapped wooden siding, triangular eave brackets, and half-timbering in the gable end. The plans were signed by Henry Whittaker as Acting Supervising Architect, but drawn and traced by "HJRC", assumed to be H.J. Rous Cullin, a prominent Victoria architect who maintained his own practice before the First World War. This is one of four identical bungalows built to this plan that still exist; one of the four was built in reverse, as a mirror-image building. In good condition; was used by West Coast Clinical Research. Empty in 2014.

       ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )       More pictures of Cottage 116 can be seen at Flickr.

 



 

 


Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 118: (B21998) Employees Residence, 1919-1920

A bungalow identical to Cottage #116. In good condition; was used as the Chairperson P.E.S. residence. Empty, used by movie industry.
      ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )    More pictures of Cottage 118 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 


Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 119: (B22004) Employees Residence, 1919-1920

A bungalow identical to Cottage 116, but in reverse. In good condition; was used as Hawthorne Lodge, a residence for out-of-town family members.
     ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )   More pictures of Cottage 119 can be seen at Flickr.

 


 


 



Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 120: (B22012) Employees Residence, 1919-1920

A one storey Craftsman Bungalow, with a side gable roof and a projecting front gable. There is a shed-roofed entry porch with square columns, lapped wooden siding, and half-timbering in the gable end. The plans were signed by Henry Whittaker as Acting Supervising Architect. In good condition; currently used by the Duty Doctor.
      ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )     More pictures of Cottage 120 can be seen at Flickr.

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 121: (B22020) Employees Residence, 1919-1920

A bungalow identical to Cottage 116. In good condition. Individual Residence. ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )

Was used by the, New View Society as a drop in centre. In 2014 empty.    More pictures of Cottage 121 can be seen at Flickr.

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Cottage 122: Ambulance Station (B22343) Residence, 1923

A one storey Craftsman Bungalow, located at the extreme northern edge of the site, close by the cemetery. It features a side gable roof with front gable projections, an inset porch, and triangular eave brackets. In good condition; currently used by Ambulance Services.
       ( 2013 building condition assessment report, PDF )      More pictures of Cottage 122 can be seen at Flickr

 


 

 

 Front of Cottage 122  Rear of Cottage 122  

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Soccer-Baseball field:

Soccer field, built for BISCO possibly mid 1920s.

It had a bandstand in one corner at one time, and the upland area above was setup as a picnic area.

 



 



 
Silver Maples in winter
Sometimes, Coyotes visit
 
 


 
 
     

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Serenity Garden:

The Serenity Garden was built as part of the short-lived Horticultural Therapy program. Previously it was run from Finnie's Garden. It has two greenhouses, Storage shed and a washroom.

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


PLANT NURSERY

The Nursery was abandoned in 1977. Many of the larger trees and shrubs, were just left to grow wild.

Located in the area above the upper road, in this image.

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


ORCHARD

The orchards were once quite extensive on the grounds, this one was apparently cut down when they decided to get out of farming, but a few survived and are relished by the wildlife, including the residents.

 


 


 


 One of the orchards, circa-1930-40  June,1977  North Orchard
 


 


 

 Looking northerly from road, south orchard in foreground. Gully in the middle  South Orchard  


Return to Cottages chapter or Return to MAP


Male Nurses quarters:

Today a compost pile. At one time the Male Nurses #10-building was here.
For more information go to  the Nursesresidences blogspot

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to the MAP


Finnie's Garden

Started in 1951 as a garden project. Went into some neglect in later years, until concerned citizens decided to rehabilitate the garden, to bring back some of its former glory. A true sanctuary on the grounds for everybody.

Click-able MAP of Finnies Garden.

Finnie's Garden also has a: BLOG check it out.

Return to Cottages chapter or Return to the MAP


The Baseball field

Not used for games anymore.

Riverview Creek, borders the Baseball field, and it has had some rehabilitation done to it.

Chum and Coho salmon do spawn in here.

Return to Cottages chapter or the Service buildings chapter

Return to the MAP or go to the HOME page