The New Hanover County Reading Association is a non-profit, professional organization. Members promote literacy throughout the district. We are a local chapter of the North Carolina Reading Association - a state affiliate of the International Reading Association (IRA). Membership is open to ALL interested in literacy.
We are established…
- To improve the quality of reading instruction at all levels
- To support activities and build leadership in our district
- To recognize writing excellence
- To further the goals of the North Carolina Reading Association and the International Reading Association
NHCRA membership provides the following invaluable benefits:
- Community Involvement: Members of international, state, and local councils promote literacy activities in schools and communities
- Annual Conference: Members attend annual conferences at a discounted rate. Conference features nationally known authors, numerous presenters, institutes, workshops and exhibits
- Grants: Councils are eligible for grants to fund literacy projects
- Scholarships: Members can apply for scholarships to pursue advanced literacy related degrees
- Networking: Members meet and share information with others who are interested in improving literacy
- License Renewal: Members have opportunities to obtain CEU credit - our meeting topics help you to meet the standards for the new Teacher Evaluation process (see Meeting Schedule for details)
- Young Authors’ Project: Members and their students may participate in Young Authors’ Project to recognize outstanding writers at all levels
The mission of the New Hanover County Reading Association is:
to expand and support literacy in the public and private schools of New Hanover county through fostering children's love of books.
Please explore this website for valuable information about our local reading council, state and international reading councils, upcoming events, meeting schedule, and literacy events.