About Us‎ > ‎

History

HISTORY


New Heights Christian Church was organized in Kent, Washington on May 2, 1990, largely through the efforts, leadership and guidance of Rev. Daniel J. Folden, with the help of a small group of believers. The church filed Articles of Incorporation on May 3, 1990 as a non-profit corporation and was known as Evangelical Christian Fellowship Church of Kent until March 21, 1995, when Articles of Amendment were filed officially changing the name to New Heights Christian Church.

Initially, the congregation met in the home of Bill and Kim Bowser. On March 24, 1991, New Heights rented space at the Carriage Crest Elementary School at 18235 140th Avenue SE in the Kent School District, until November 23, 1997, when the congregation relocated to Sunrise Elementary School at 22300 132nd Avenue in Kent. During this period of time a search was being made to locate a site on which to establish a permanent church home for the congregation. New Heights found property located at the southeast corner of 116th Avenue SE and SE 216th Street in Kent, Washington, and remodeled and improved this property for use as a church. During the remodeling of the buildings the congregation met in rented facilities at nearby Emerald Park Elementary School located at 11800 SE 216th Street in Kent.

The development plan for the property has been outlined in 3 Phases. Phase 1 was officially completed on October 14, 2002, providing the congregation with a Sanctuary building of 3,226 square feet and an Office/Classroom Annex of 2,304 square feet. Phase 2 would add an additional 2360 square feet to the sanctuary and do site work to meet King County’s requirements for landscaping, water retention and sidewalks. Phase 3 would add 1300 square feet to the sanctuary.