Monday, Wednesday & Friday
10 am to 5 pm
Take the Next Step was created to provide a reliable list of available resources for our neighbors in need. In 2005, the Next Step began, and was contained, in one huge three-ring notebook.
We chose our name carefully. Though we help meet immediate needs, the heart of our purpose is to form enduring, respectful relationships, and to help our clients take their own next steps.
We promise you will always be welcome.
This year, our drop-in center will host 6,000 visits and we will serve more than 10,000 meals. In 2012, of those coming into the Drop-In Center, 25% were homeless.
COMMUNITY RESOURCE CENTER
Take the Next Step is a place where you will find a listening ear, and a caring and committed staff and volunteers to help you take the next steps in your life.
We'll help you with immediate needs:
We'll help you discover resources:
- an emergency hot meal
- a "care package" of food to go
- sack lunches are available Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on a first come, first served basis
- clothes, blankets, and help connecting with others who may be able to provide what we cannot
- personal hygiene products
- household items
- use of telephone and fax
- setting up a community voice mail account
- apply for a free or low cost cell phone if you qualify
- emergency bus tickets and gas cards to travel to job interviews and medical appoints (subject to available funding)
- depending upon funding, we may be able to help with emergency rent and utility assistance
The Next Step partners with many agencies and organizations...if we can't help you, we'll do our best to refer you to one that can.
- our "housing board" lists affordable and available apartments and homes for rent
- we'll work together with you to complete rental agreements and apply for housing, including Section 8 benefits and other housing programs
- our "job board" keeps up with available opportunities in the "Sky Valley" area
- a job specialist will help you with applications and creating or tuning up a resume'
- we can help you get into, or back into, school
- we'll walk alongside you as you take your next steps
Our computer center is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 10 am to 5 pm
- we provide safe, secure, and appropriately filtered internet access
- we'll help you set up an e-mail account if you don't have one
- we regularly offer introductory computer classes taught by professionals - check our Life Skills CLASS SCHEDULE for dates and time
A GOOD NEWS STORY - THE GIFT OF THANKS
Pauline* visited the Take the Next Step Drop-In Center in deep despair one afternoon. After an injury, her eye doctor prescribed medication to preserve her vision. Pauline didn’t have enough money to buy the medicine. We helped Pauline cover the cost of her prescription.
A couple weeks later, Pauline returned. “You prevented me from going blind by helping buy the medication,” she reported. She brought us gifts of thanks: a beautiful little brass vase with miniature roses, a classic literature volume, and this hand crafted pen and ink card that she made herself. Thank you for helping the Next Step bring health to our neighbors!
There are many ways to get involved in the Drop-In Center's work...
E-MAIL US or call to let us know how you'd like be get involved!
- volunteer to meet, greet, and help guests at the Drop-In Center
- help us with administrative and operational tasks
- donate to our emergency food pantry
- make sack lunches for our hungry clients
- warm coats and blankets are so important to our homeless clients in the winter
- it costs about $600 a day to keep the Drop-in Center open and provide our services - think about giving the gift of a day or an hour. To find out how, visit GIVE-A-DAY
- it takes a lot to keep our 100 year old building maintained...
- have special skills?
- can you help us keep our computer center running?
- teach classes?
- become a mentor for our clients?
- other ideas?
after school program
for teens and youth
teen parent group
for homeless and street involved youth
More than 50 churches, community organizations, and businesses have come alongside to help and partner with The Next Step. Find out how you can become a part of this important work and...
MEET OUR PARTNERS
open10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Tuesdays at 6:00 pm
|DONATE with PayPal
Donate quickly, easily and securely. No account or sign-up is required.