You are receiving this message because you have indicated your support for the New York State Principals' Open Letter Regarding the NYS APPR Legislation (www.newyorkprincipals.org
). We thank you for your support and would like to provide you with an update on all that has happened over this past week. As always, the most recent version of the APPR Position paper (with all signatures) is available at: http://www.newyorkprincipals.org/appr-paper
. Given that the paper with signatures is 100 pages long, we have also created a separate link for the four-page paper alone.
Some numbers to report:
- Over 1058 New York State principals have signed the letter: that's over 23% of all principals in NYS!
- We have nearly 4900 supporters now -- teachers, supervisors, parents, superintendents and board members included!
Events of this Past Week:
- Carol and I were invited to speak in Albany this past Wednesday (14 December). The invitation came from Senator Flanagan, who is the Chair of the Senate Education Committee. Also at the meeting were Commissioner King and other SED representatives, representatives from the Governor’s office, and representatives from many other State-wide organizations (e.g., school boards, superintendents and the like). A separate meeting was to be scheduled with NYSUT. Senator Flanagan ran the meeting well, permitting all parties to have an opportunity to speak about APPR. Carol and I were both able to present our concerns with some back and forth with the Commissioner. Clearly, our paper has caught the attention of some people in Albany. Newsday covered the meeting: http://www.newsday.com/news/principals-back-teachers-appeal-to-nys-1.3392717
- Our letter was featured in a segment on last night’s local Fox 5 affiliate News at 6:00 pm. Although brief, it was a fair look at the issue. The reporter interviewed both of us as well as three teachers from South Side High School.
Some Steps to Take:
We need to continue to build support for our position! It is particularly important that we expand our support upstate. We are looking to surpass 25% before the December break!
- Contact your local Regent! Some of our supporters have been in active contact with their local Regent – even arranging for a meeting next month! They are aware of the issue and may very well respond to your requests. You can identify your Regent through this link:http://www.regents.nysed.gov/members/findrep.html
- Share the letter with your colleagues -- teachers, principals, central office administrators -- and encourage them to support it. The more signatures we get, the more powerful our message will become! Everyone is welcome to support the letter!
- We need more parents! Make your parents aware of the issues related to APPR and encourage them to support the letter.
- Tweet, Share, Facebook or whatever it takes to get the message out! We have a number of signatories from out of state! Remember: www.newyorkprincipals.org
Thank you once again for taking a stand on such an important issue! Please enjoy a wonderful December break. Happy holidays to all!
Sean and Carol
Sean C. Feeney, Ph.D.
The Wheatley School
11 Bacon Road
Old Westbury, NY 11568