Member Code of Ethics As a member of the board of directors, I will not:
Criticize fellow board members for their opinions, in or out of the
• Use the organization for my personal advantage or that of my
friends or relatives.
• Discuss the confidential proceedings of the board outside
• Promise how I will vote on any issue before a meeting.
• Interfere with the duties of the administrator or undermine
his/her authority with staff members.
a member of the board of directors, I will:
• Listen carefully to other board members
• Respect the opinion of my fellow board members.
• Respect and support the majority decision of the board.
• Recognize that all authority is vested in the full board
only when it meets in legal session.
• Keep well-informed about developments relevant to issues
that may come before the board.
• Participate actively in board meetings and actions.
• Bring to the attention of the board any issues that I
believe will have an adverse effect on the organization or those we serve.
• Refer complaints to the proper level of the chain of
• Recognize that my job is to ensure that the organization is
well managed, not to manage the organization.
• Represent all those whom this organization serves and not a
particular special interest group.
• Consider myself a “trustee” of the organization and do my
best to ensure that it is well-maintained, financially secure, and always
operating in the best interest of those we serve.
• Always work to learn how to do my job better.
• Declare conflicts of interest between my personal life and
my position on the board, and abstain from voting when appropriate.
Adopted by the
Newark Public Board of Trustees on July 10, 2014