Photos of 2006 Leewards Youth Championships held in Nevis
DETAILED SUMMARY OF THE MEET
The Leeward Islands Track & Field Youth Championship, usually an annual event, is being planned for the Elquemedo Willett Park, Charlestown, Nevis on 24/25 May. The park features a 300m grass track with 30m straights, fully light facility with 1 Long Jump pit, 1 High Jump area and 1 Cricket-ball and 1 Shotput area. Participating entities includes Antigua/Barbuda, Montserrat, St. Kitts, British Virgin Islands, United States, Virgin Islands, Anguilla, St. Maarten and hosts Nevis. (Photos of a recent meet to be posted below.)
The Youth meet features the following classes: U-11, U-13, U-15 classes (age as of 31st December 2014) both male & female, with about 200 athletes and 30 team officials expected. The events include the 100m, 200m, 400, 800m, 1200m (Open), 4x100m, 4x400m (Open), High Jump, Long Jump, Throwing the Cricket Ball (U-11. U-13), Shotput (U-15). Two athletes are allowed per team per event. A plan of the facility is available here
Timed finals is proposed for the 200m and 400m with heats/finals for the 100m. The middle distance events will be finals as will the relay events. Four (4) throws is proposed for the Cricket ball and the Shotput and four (4) jumps for the Long Jump. High Jump will follow the usual rules. An officials training workshop will be arranged prior to the meet, and the support of selected meet officials from St. Kitts will be arranged.
Ferry transportation will be arranged between St. Kitts and Nevis to allow spectators to attend the meet and return, upon completion on both days.
A Technical meeting is proposed for Friday evening and a total of 35 athletes and 5 officials will be allowed to be registered for the meet per team.
Various Committees will be established to plan the event including:
- Home Team preparation
- Venue Preparation/Security
- Meet Management/Officials/Equipment
- Functions (Opening, Programs, Intermission, Protocol, Social)
Awards will be presented as follows:
- Medals to the top three performers in each event.
- Trophies to top performers in each class (by points)
- Trophies to the top meet male and top female performers (by points)
- Trophies for the Winner U15 Category, WinnerU13 Category, Winner U11 Category, Overall Champion, Boys & Girls Champions (all by points)
The meet will feature the following highlights with meet information and details available at www.nevisaaa.com (sample photos attached):
- live streaming worldwide with real time results and scores
- live radio broadcast on at least one stations
- 100's of near real time photos and blogs
- live video on a big screen with instant and slow motion replays plus meet information postings
- sponsor promos and ads at appropriate times
- expected thousands of spectators attending
- networked meet management system
- p.a. system for spectators and teams
- tented area for teams and close proximity call room
- teams with wireless access to results and scores plus photo-finish images
- opening ceremony on Saturday 24th May with closing ceremony after the meet on Sunday 25th May.