King Edward Medical University
Brief History and Introduction
In the year 1970, after shifting of Dermatology department to its present premises in the out-patient block of Mayo Hospital, and this was the first time Neurology Department had an independent location in the Madan Gopal Wing of Mayo Hospital, adjacent to present North Medical Ward.
In 1979, a scheme was drawn out for creation of well-designed modern department of Neurology in the out patient block of Mayo Hospital, Lahore. The scheme was ultimately sanctioned in 1981, the construction work was completed in 1982-83 and patients were shifted to the new premises in July 1983. Since then the ancillary as well as nursing and medical staff has been separately provided for the Department.
Prof. Munawar Hayat and Prof. Naeem-ul-Hameed were the first and second Head of Department, respectively. Currently, department is working under the Prof. Muhammad Nasrullah, the Head of Department.
Faculty Members of Neurology Ward
Total beds: 41 (both males & females)
Sr.No. Name Designation Qualification
List of teaching Programs
• FCPS Neurology
Following Lab Services an offered:-
• Neuro-electro-physiology unit (EMG technician, E.E.G. technician
• Weekly meeting of case presentation by the residents and house officers.
• Beta interferer Therapy in patients with multiple sclerosis and out come in 50 patients.
Other contributions to Medical education and Research activities
• Post-graduate training course for doctors and postgraduate nurses held annually.
• The facilities available are short wave & microwave diathermy, ultrasonotherapy, infra-red & ultra-violet rays and nerve stimulator. Apart from the above mentioned staff members also involve in the rehabilitation exercises and other material for rehabilitation of the patients as well as training of the attendants for exercises at home.
Data regarding outputs:
• Patients are admitted through O.P.D. and Emergency. Department is providing O.P.D. and Emergency cover for six days a week (from 08:00 am to 02:3 pm) and twice a week (from 08:00 am to 08:00 pm), respectively.