Google requires you to verify ownership of your site before you can submit a sitemap.
(n.b I have put in different font colors so that you can easily see when you are moving around from site to site)
This is so that Google can verify that you own the site.
1) Log into your Google Webmaster Tools
2) Click "Add A Site" button to verify a (new) site.
3) enter your site > Continue
4) You are given a few methods to verify your site. For SBI sites, accept the default recommended method: "Upload an HTML file to your server"
5) Download that file. (You can download it to anywhere on your local computer- as long as you can find it. I chose to place it in my local SBI root folder.)
6) LEAVE THE GOOGLE WEBMASTER TOOLS WINDOWS open, as is.
Now we go over to SBI in a separate window ...
7) SBI Site Central > WebFTP > Verify It! > Choose File (and browse to file the google file that you have just downloaded) > Upload It!
8) on successful upload you will see this notice:
Now you can go back to your (still open) Google Webmaster Tools window to complete the verification process ...
9) In your Google Webmaster Tool window, click the Verify button.
10) On successful verification, you will see "Verificaton Successful" (with a big Green tick :)
Unlike Google, Bing does not require that you verify ownership prior to you being able to submit your sitemap. However verifying ownership will enable Bing to provide you with statistics that it collects about your site.
To verify ownership with Bing, you will upload an XML file which Bing visits occasionally.
1) Log into Bing Webmaster Center.
(To sign into Bing, you need a Windows Live ID. If you don't have one, you can sign up for a Windows Live ID)
2) In Bing Webmaster > Add Site
3) add your site URL > Submit
4) Bing offers various methods of ownership verification. For SBI, choose
"Option 1: Place an XML file on your web server"
5) Follow the instructions that drop down: download
6) SBI Site Central > WebFTP > Verify It! > Choose File (and browse to file the Bing file that you have just downloaded) > Upload It!
7) You should get the SBI "Received Verification File" on successful upload.
Return to the open Bing Webmaster Tools window:
8) Click "Verify"
Bing Tips: Submit Sitemap now as well
1) Once your site is verified > Click "Crawl" tab (at top) then
2) Sitemaps (left sidebar) > Add Feeds > (paste in xml file name from SBI) > Submit