January-February 2014 Article

This Month's Article - January/February 2014
Nelson & Albemarle Railway - Roster
    Note:  Most Current Roster Data is found on the MAIN PAGE of the site where updates on Locomotive #8 and Plymouth DLC are included.
Since C. E. Fisher first compiled a two-page document chronicling the motive power of the Nelson & Albemarle Railway in the 1940's, there have been 4 published collections of data that provided detail on the equipment used by the soapstone companies that was leased or provided to the Nelson & Albemarle Railway for it's use.  C. E. Fisher's roster is held in the Youngstown State University (Ohio) Archives Library in the Lester L. Dickson Collection and is a minor part of C. E. Fisher's lifes work.  He was author of such books as The Early Railroads of Kentucky, The McConnell Locomotives, and The United States Military Railroads
 
This is the annual update of information on the Nelson & Albemarle Railway equipment and includes steam, diesel, and motor-car information.  If you have additional information on the roster, or have a previously unknown photograph of any equipment, please write to NelsonAlbemarle@comcast.net and share your data.  Copyright 2014 - Nelson & Albemarle Railway Historical Society.

Nelson & Albemarle Railway Roster
NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
Schuyler RailwayTrolleyN/A---Lewis & Fowler1891Unknown1899-1905

Three (3) Lewis & Fowler single truck, open platform trolley cars purchased secondhand from Lynchburg Street Railway.  Originally built with Eickemeyer trucks (jack shafts and side rods) there were 6 cars purchased from the manufacturer in Brooklyn, New York and received starting 3 March 1891 and ending 5 May 1891 as the Lynchburg Street Railway's first trolleys.  Schuyler Railway purchased and received them in summer/fall 1899 with Maguire #20 trucks and Westinghouse motors that had been retrofitted in May 1892.  A fourth trolley may also have been purchased to use for parts (or as noted in Hill City Trolleys by Harold E. Cox. this may have been used solely as locomotive). Noted in soapstone company memorandums, one car had all seats removed for use as locomotive.  Two remaining trolley had some seats removed to provide mixed train service.  Three non-powered freight cars were also noted as owned.

* Photograph in Hill Street Trolleys by Harold E. Cox in NEARHS colletion of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.  Copyright Protected - Permission requested to use.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
Alberene RailroadC&O         Equipment---------------1897-1903

Leased by the C&O immediately upon completion on 13 July 1897 for five years as their Alberene Branch, the line was subsequently purchased by the C&O on 15 February 1902.  All equipment used on the line was C&O power.  Albemarle Soapstone Company likely had own small locomotive (ST) to manage quarry operations moving soapstone to mill.

* Digital photo of the Roundhouse model 84773 Chesapeake & Ohio steam locomotive 2-6-0 #425 typical of the era (though paint scheme more likely black) and typical type used on branch lines from photograph of model in the NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
1 (1st)0-4-0T7x1228"PorterMay 18878361903-1920

Former Richmond City Railway #1 "Belle" an 0-4-0DY based on Vulcan catalogue style, "Lake Side"; subsequently sold to SI&E in 1920 as #1599; thence to Pierce-Williams (Fruit Basket Company) in Jonesboro, Arkansas on 17 April 1924.  Only known photograph available in Smithsonian Institution, Negative #893603, Frame 42077.

* Photo Print on heavy photo paper from NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
2 (1st)Unknown---------------1903-1920
Likely small 0-4-0T unit serving quarry operations at either Alberene or Schuyler
NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
3 (1st)Unknown---------------1903-1920
Likely small 0-4-0T unit serving quarry operations at either Alberene or Schuyler
NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
42-6-2T14x20---PorterDec 190431071904-1924
1st NEW locomotive for Nelson & Albemarle Railway, subsequently sold to SI&E in 1924 as their #1939; thence to Batesville & Southwestern on 13 September 1924 as an 0-6-0 with 8 wheel tender as B&SW #11 in Batesville, Mississippi.  Sold back to SI&E as #2483 for scrap in 1942.

* Photo courtesy of David Price collection with permission provided for use.  View as seen at Southern Iron & Equipment before conversion to 0-6-0 with tender.  Print now in NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
50-4-4T12x1642"PittsburghJan 189415101905-1924

Former Manhattan Ry. 2nd #60; Class K-2, engine weight 47000#, weight on drivers 33000#, wheel base 16', 1"; number of tubes=14, heating surface 546sf; boiler diameter 42" with Belpaire firebox; water capacity 512g; built 10 January 1894; (20 total locomotives built in this series). Noted to have vacuum brakes.  To Virginia Alberene Corp. via P. McManus, Cape Charles, Virginia (dealer).  Sold to Virginia Soapstone, 6 March 1905.; reportedly resold to P. McManus around 1920.  

* Photograph is from Collection of New York Transit Museum Archives (see copyright restriction embedded in thumbnail image) from NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia. Courtesy of the New York Transit Museum Archives.  "This image cannot be reproduced without the written permission of the New York Transit Museum Archives."  Please do not copy or infringe on these rights. Copies are available from the New York Transit Museum Archives via their website:  http://www.mta.info/mta/museum/archiveguid.html

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
60-4-4T12x1642"PittsburghDec 189315081905-1924
Former Manhattan Ry. 2nd #56; Class K-2, engine weight 47000#, weight on drivers 33000#, wheel base 16', 1"; number of tubes=14, heating surface 546sf; boiler diameter 42" with Belpaire firebox; water capacity 512g, built 22 December 1893; (20 total locomotives built in this series). Noted to have vacuum brakes. To Virginia Alberene Corp. via P. McManus, Cape Charles, Virginia (dealer); Sold to Virginia Soapstone, 19 May 1905.;  reportedly resold to P. McManus around 1920.  
NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
72-4-2T8x1226"BaldwinNov 188788741905-1920

Ex-Proctor Coal Company #1, "Hutchcraft"; Used as primary locomotive on Schuyler to Rockfish run; sold to SI&E in May 1920 as their #1597.  thence to A. F. Langford Co. #2  Bartey, Florida on 23 September 1920 with cylinders changed to 17x24.  Photo in Smithsonian Institution, Negative #893602 - Frame #42076.

*  Copy of photographic print "Nelson & Albemarle Railway Baldwin 2-4-2 Tank Locomotive", circa 1920, Thomas Norrell Railroad Collection, NMAH.AC.1174, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, box number 80, folder 17, digital file number 893602/42076 from NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
8Unknown---------------1905-1920

Remembered by 'old-timers' as having a tender; however no known photographs or references.  Except, the Virginia Alberene Corporation stock certificate (blank) has a soapstone train depicted with a small locomotive with tender which could have been #8.  Stock certificate noted has preprinted 192_ referencing that the issue would be during that decade and likely after locomotive #8 was scrapped.  Personal Note:  The use of the steam locomotive with tender on stock certificate looks to be a Forney locomotive but with a tender providing water for continual use.  However, this view does not have a smoke stack of the height of the #5 or #6 locomotives.  This could be a third locomotive purchased from former-Manhattan Railway surplus, but there is no record or documentation as to that effect.

* Image taken from Virginia Alberene stock certificate blank in NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
"Maude"4-whl  "Sheffield" Velocipede------Fairbanks-Morse CompanyUnknown---1903~05-Unknown

Unit purchased through Fairbanks-Morse, a Sheffield Velocipede, (though term velocipede had been changed to 'Sheffield Car') was used in early days of N&A for the personal service of the general manager and executives though frequently allowed to be used for other purposes.  Purchased by J. W. Foster of the N&A Railway several years before 1910 (Reference:  Memo to Fairbanks Morse in 1910 where the unit is called 'Maude').  Note:  Sheffield Velocipedes had model names that all started with the letter "M" including "Maude", though no catalog has been found with the specific model mentioned.

* Photograph from public domain copy of Fairbanks-Morse catalog circa 1905.  No.2 is Code Word, Minturn while Code Word Maude is another model though similar to this depiction from the NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
1 (2nd)0-4-0T7x1224"VulcanJun 19056751916-1920

Old Dominion Soapstone Company was merged into the Virginia Alberene Corporation in February 1917 and their locomotives became part of the soapstone companies operations though on separate properties. Built for Old Dominion Soapstone of Esmont, Virginia as "Vulcan".  Company headquartered at Damon, Virginia at time of merger. Sold by the Nelson & Albemarle Railway to SI&E in 1920 as their #1600.  No record of resale.  Photo in Smithsonian Institution, Negative #893604 - Frame #42078.

*  Copy of photographic print "Nelson & Albemarle Railway Vulcan 0-4-0 Tank Locomotive", circa 1920, Thomas Norrell Railroad Collection, NMAH.AC.1174, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, box number 80, folder 17, digital file number 893604/42078 from NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
2 (2nd)0-4-0T11x1630"VulcanOct 190914361916-1942

Old Dominion Soapstone Company was merged into the Virginia Alberene Corporation in February 1917 and their locomotives became part of the soapstone companies operations though on separate properties. Built for Old Dominion Soapstone on 4 October 1909, the locomotive had service weight of 41,000#, tank capacity of 750 gallons, Fuel capacity of 500#; a working pressure of 145# and rated tractive effort of 9050# and an oil headlamp.  Company headquartered at Damon, Virginia at time of merger.  Received new boiler in June 1926.  Continued in service until 1 December 1931 noted as out-of-service on the quarry property.  Virginia Alberene merged with Alberene Stone Corporation in April 1935 with no change to numbering or out-of-service status of locomotive except added to the Nelson & Albemarle Railway roster.  Though noted as sold to American Cyanimid in 1942, records at Virginia Blue Ridge Railway confirm that the locomotive was sold to the Virginia Blue Ridge Railway in June 1942 for $600 as their first #4 where it was used for a year and a half hauling ballast trains as the railroad upgraded its roadbed to accommodate  increase of traffic from aplite plants and Southern Mineral Products facility.  VBR sold engine 22 December 1943 to Leas & McVitty, Inc. a tanning extract manufacturer in Buena Vista, Virginia for $2500.  Taken out of service in the late-1950's, the locomotive was sold to Charles Watson in 1962 who displayed locomotive in front of a motel in Marion, Virginia (with the saddle tank removed).  Purchased later by Will Harris of North Fork Lumber Company of Goshen, Virginia where the locomotive remains in static condition on siding (next to a Shay) in private collection and viewable on request.  This is the only remaining Nelson & Albemarle Railway rostered-locomotive not scrapped.

* Photograph part of misc. set of photo prints purchased from dealer at Railroad Memorabilia show with no identified photographer and now part of NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
92-6-2T17x2446"VulcanApr 192030451920-1952

Built for Nelson & Albemarle Railway as 2-6-2ST #9 purchased by Virginia Alberene Corporation and delivered to Schuyler, Virginia.  148,000#.  Primary mainline locomotive from delivery until replaced by GE 44-ton diesel in 1951 30 years later.  Scrapped in 1952.

* Photograph from unknown photographer with negative in the NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
102-6-2T15x2442"VulcanDec 192232781922-1953

Built for Nelson & Albemarle Railway as 2-6-2ST #10 purchased by Virginia Alberene Corporation and delivered to Rockfish, Virginia.  112,000#.  Used in service between Schuyler and Rockfish and secondary locomotive for mainline between Schuyler and Esmont/Warren.  Scrapped in 1953.

* Photograph is W. H. Thayer picture postcard from NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
112-4-2T14x2240"VulcanOct 190913811923-1954

Built for Culver & Port Clinton Railroad, Gypsum, Ohio as their #2; 86,000#; Received new boiler #2929 in July 1916.  Was at Vulcan shops at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania before being sold to Nelson & Albemarle Ry in March 1923 (noted as going to N&A in April 1923).  New boiler installed in 1927 (though shown places as same boiler #2929 from 1916).  Said to have been scrapped in 1954, there is a known photograph from 1951 with #11 in Warren where the locomotive was usually operating in Schuyler.  While not conclusive evidence that #11 was en route to scrapping in Richmond in 1951, the first diesel had arrived and already displaced #9 as the mainline locomotive.

* Photograph is an unknown photographer print from photo taken on 20 August 1941 from NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.  N&A #14 is also shown in photo (and photo from opposite direction is also in the NEARHS collection).

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
120-4-0T12x1833"VulcanFeb 192434261924-1953

Built for Virginia Alberene Corporation as Nelson & Albemarle #12 delivered to Rockfish, Virginia.  60,000#.  Scrapped 1953. 

* Photograph is an H. Reid picture postcard from NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
Not Named or Numbered4 wheel - gas powered------Plymouth (Fate-Root-Heath Company)Oct 192418601924-1963

Puchased by Phoenix Stone Company of New York City for delivery to Standard Soapstone of Arrington, Virginia as 42" gauge locomotive built 13 October 1924 as Model DLC, Type 6.  To Virginia Alberene Corporation on 18 December 1930 and converted to Standard Gauge at some point.  Photo of tracks by quarry show unit at Schuyler.   

* Photo from NEARHS collection of prints.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
140-4-0T12x1833"VulcanFeb 192535071925-1953

Built in February 1925 (though shown some places as built in 1926) for Virginia Alberene Corporation as Nelson & Albemarle #14 delivered to Schuyler, Virginia.  60,000#.  Scrapped 1953.

* Photograph is an unknown photographer's picture postcard from NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
150-4-0T12x1633"VulcanJan 191725901928-1953
Originally built for Chile Exploration Company, 52,000#; diverted to Alberoyd Company, Esmont, Virginia as their #1; thence to Rhodes Construction Company, and Virginia Alberene Corp on 7 March 1928. 
NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
1 (3rd)B-B------GEDec 1950308561951-1963

GE 44-ton B-B Diesel c/n 30856. Built in December 1950 for Nelson & Albemarle Railway #1 (the third #1) requisition #RIC-29947 555/733/D-17000, rated 44-tons and 400hp; date shipped 9 January 1951.  (The D-17000 is technically rated as 2, Caterpillar V-8 diesel engines at-180hp each plus 2-134kw motors though listed as 400hp for this unit).  Replaced 2-6-2T #9 as mainline engine until end of N&A career when line was shutdown in 1963.  Officially transferred to Georgia Marble ownership in 1963 and moved to Tate, Georgia.  After some time, the diesel was sent to Gantt's Quarry in Alabama, then sold to Industrial Maintenance (Service) Co. in 1976 but never on their property before being sold to Hamburg Industries, North Augusta, South Carolina (company was later purchased by TTX).  Unit was painted in Hamburg Industries color scheme and numbered as #2.  Last known photograph taken 30 July 1982 by Mac Connery of Durham, North Carolina.  When TTX planned a re-engine project, 30856 was not selected for upgrades.  Instead, #2 was used as spare parts for the remaining 44-ton units on the property, stored for short time on west side of property until eventually scrapped with Progress Rail (possibly as a trade-in for another 44-ton unit).  Noted as scrapped at Patterson, Georgia, but Progress Rail reports that any unit sent for scrapping would have been forwarded to Mayfield, Kentucky.

* Photograph is from Photographer, Charles Wales (slide) taken on 30 October 1953 near Esmont, Virginia and is original slide from the NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
2 (3rd)B------GENov 1952317681952-1963

GE 35-ton B Diesel c/n 31768 (rare unit). Built in November 1952 for Alberene Stone Corp. as Nelson & Albemarle #2 (third #2), requisition #RIC-49116-2 558/733/NHBIS, rated 35-tons, 234hp; date shipped 5 December 1952.  Replaced multiple steam locomotives used in quarry operations and in service until end of N&A career when line was shutdown in 1963.  Officially transferred to Georgia Marble ownership in 1963, but sent to Alabama Marble Division, Gantt's Quarry, as Alabama Marble #2 in Sylacauga, Alabama (repainted into Georgia Marble colors at some point) and now serves the Imerys Pigment Plant (merger activity of Georgia Marble).  Last know photographed in 2005, but considered still active and in-service in Sylacauga, Alabama in 2014.

* Photograph by Tom Lawson, Jr. captured on 8 June 1963 at Gantt's Quarry Alabama.  Tom is the author of "Locomotives of the Southern Iron & Equipment Company" available from Cabbage Stack Publishing in Birmingham, Alabama 35219 (P.O. Box 19912) for $49.95. Go to this webpage to complete form and forward for purchase:  http://www.cabbagestkpub.ns2.atspace.com/sieform.html 

The book is an invaluable resource to anyone working to find locomotive history such as that of the N&A Railway. Our photo used here is from a picture postcard from Tom's photograph held in the NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.

NumberTypeCylindersDriversBuilderBuiltC/N or S/NYear Range
3 (2nd)B------GEJan 1953317781953-1963

GE 25-ton B Diesel c/n31778. Built in January 1953 for Alberene Stone Corp. as Nelson & Albemarle #3 (second #3) requisition #RIC-49116-3 1503/747/HBI, rated 25-tons, 150hp; date shipped 6 February 1953.  Replaced  steam locomotives used in quarry operations and in service until end of N&A career when line was shutdown in 1963.  Officially transferred to Georgia Marble ownership in 1963 and sent to Nelson, Georgia where it remained stored out-of-service for quite some time.  Lewis Rhodes of Railrhodes, Inc. of Monroe, Georgia acquired the diesel and in 2002 made the sale of it to Great Lakes Calcium company in Woodville, Ohio.  In 2004, GLC Woodville site was sold to National Lime & Stone which immediately closed the Woodville Plant.  Conversation with NL&S found that no 25-ton unit was involved in the takeover of the location or movement of materials to NL&S's main site in Carey, OH.  While thought to be scrapped prior to 2004, there was a comment mentioned that #3 may have been involved in a wreck at the Woodville Plant property and might have been shipped to Green Bay, Wisconsin with no additional sightings since 2003 until mid-2008 with unconfirmed photos of a GE 25-ton unit taken by Michael Ostertag (and posted on rrpicturesarchive.net) on 14 June 2008 that appeared to be c/n31778.  Then in late-2013 photographs were taken describing the location as Great Lakes Calcium in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  Great Lakes Calcium in Green Bay was contacted by phone and they advised on 14 February 2014, that the unit is in use daily to move cars and is indeed GE c/n 31778.  There are at least 2 photographs on Flickr from photographer Kim Kafura of the Green Bay engine taken in late-2013 and he has granted permission to use his image(s) here.

* Photograph provided by Kim Kafura to the NEARHS collection of Nelson & Albemarle Railway memorabilia.  Thanks go to Tom Lawson, Jr. for additional historical and personal detail on 31778 that was previously unknown and fills a large gap of the missing story.  Tom knew Lewis Rhodes of Railrhodes, Inc. when they were both with Republic Locomotive Works in the early 1980's.  Tom tried to purchase 31778 (d/b/a Locomotive Marketing, Inc.), but Railrhodes, Inc. won out.

Remember:  31778 started life in Erie, PENNSYLVANIA; then went to Schuyler, VIRGINIA; from there to Nelson, GEORGIA; and on to Woodville, OHIO before now appearing in Green Bay, WISCONSIN.  61 years old and lived in 5 different states!




Reference:  Photographs are available from sources as noted next to each picture used in the article.

Send email to NelsonAlbemarle@comcast.net if you have any comments or questions or wish to contribute to future articles. Copyright 2014 - Nelson & Albemarle Railway Historical Society.
Comments