NEIGS Meeting Minutes

NEIGS Meeting Minutes


March 17, 2015

Vice-President Duane Akeright started the meeting at 6:20 pm with a Skype hookup with Theresa Liewer, IGS President. Theresa talked about Irish Genealogical Websites. She had provided members with a list of websites.Theresa did some sample searches on various websites. She spent about about 40 minutes with her presentation. 

President Steve Hill called the NEIGS meeting to order at 7:10 pm. The meeting was held at the Allen College of Nursing - Winter Hall, Waterloo, Ia.There were approx. 30 members and 2 guests.

Steve Hill recapped the approval of a Administrative Liaison position at our February meeting. The Board has appointed Allaire George to this position. Allaire George spent about 5 minutes on procedures / rules for getting documents / etc. approved and placed in the Genealogy room at the Waterloo Public Library. The Board will meet to review her procedures /rules she discussed with the Waterloo Public Library. The Board will establish / approve a note book with steps NEIGS members will follow to get items placed in the Genealogy room.

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the treasurer’s report. As of today there is $4,128,99 in checking. $1,592,25 in our special project account, $781.59 in Basic savings with a total in savings of $2,373.84.

Register Lauri Miller introduced two guests.

Vice President Duane Akeright spoke about upcoming meetings.

Old Business: Steve Hill talked about the the 1918 Service League Pledge cards project. Upcoming workshops will be March 21st and March 28th at Veteran’s Memorial Hall, 9am to 4pm.

New Business: None

The meeting was adjourned at 7:30.

                                   ****************************************************************************

President Steve Hill called the February 14, 2015 meeting to order at 9:30 a.m.  The meeting was held at the Cedar Falls Library.  There were 20 members and 2 guests present.

 Marilyn Gerholdt gave the treasurer’s report.   As of today there is $3,891.69 in checking, $1,592.25 in our special projects account, $781 in savings with a total in savings of $2,373.84.

 Corresponding Secretary Dee Winter reported that she had received the newsletter from Lynn County, Iowa.   They now have a website and have done the 1940 census on line.  The newsletter listed the things they offer and also they will be celebrating their 50th anniversary this year.  She mentioned that we may try to do some projects with them.  She will email information to our membership.  The National Genealogical Society sent information that they have listings of sites for doing genealogy research in Iowa.  She also received the newsletter from Madison County, Iowa. 

 Historian Kelly Burdick had nothing new to report at this time.

Newsletter Editor Ruth Tucker informed the group that she had emailed the newsletter to the membership.  She stated that she only had to print 30 copies this time.  Nineteen went members and the others went to other organizations.  She also mentioned she needed volunteers to sign up to record obituaries.  This program is through Microsoft Excel now and should be compatible with most computers.

 Registrar Lauri Miller introduced two guests.  They were our speaker for today Raymond Burfeind and his wife Judy.  They have been doing genealogy for 30 years.  They also discussed the names they  were researching.

 Vice President Duane Akeright spoke about upcoming projects and meetings.  Saturday, February 21st and 28th will be work days at the Veterans Hall in Waterloo.  We will be working on cleaning, scanning and alphabetizing index cards.  Next months meeting will be March 17th at Winter Hall on the Allen College Campus.  The speaker will be Theresa Liewer via skype.  She will be presenting a program on Irish Genealogy.  This will be held at 6:30 p.m.  The April 21st meeting will be at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.  The speaker will be author Linda McCann talking about Prohibition in Eastern Iowa.  Her book will be available for purchase.

 Old Business:  The changes to the bylaws are printed in the newsletter.  Ruth Tucker moved to accept the changes.  This motion was seconded by Doug Marshall.  Motion was passed by the membership.  Dick Hastings brought samples of the index cards to be cleaned, alphabetized and scanned.  There will be a couple additional work days schedule for March.  David Miller a UNI freshman from Muscatine will be helping with this project.

 New Business:  Ruth Tucker mentioned we could check with the ROTC units at East and West High to see if they would be willing to help with the index card project.  There is also a unit at UNI.  Dick Hastings said he had connections with the high school programs. 

 The meeting was adjourned at 9:54 a.m.

Vice President Duane Akeright introduced the speaker Ray Burfeind, a former hospital administrator, who spoke about the History of  Health Care in the Cedar Valley.  This was part one of a two part program.  This portion was the History of  Waterloo-Cedar Falls Hospitals 1900-1940.

 Refreshments were provided by Doug Marshall

                                 **************************************************************

The January 17, 2015, Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society meeting was called to order by President Steve Hill at 9:30 a.m. at the Cedar Falls Public Library with 22 members and 3 visitors present.

 Announcements were made regarding the Call the Courier question recently in the paper asking for genealogy help.  The caller was given information on our volunteers at the library on Friday afternoons. Patrons will be given our website address for individual help.  Free advertising for us!  Information on the change with the Grout Museum.  We are no longer able to use our membership cards for access to the genealogy library.  We will be required to pay admission price or buy a membership to use the library.  However, we will be given a 25% discount on a membership.  The members were informed that the minutes of the meetings will no longer be read at the meetings.  They will be published in the newsletter.

 Treasurer Marilyn Gerholdt gave the treasurer’s report.  As of today the balance in checking is $3,566.69.  Balance in the savings for special projects, including funds from the Pizza Rance night is $1,569.25.  Total savings balance as of today is $2,350.84.  A spread sheet for income and expenses for 2014 along with a proposed budget for 2015 was sent to the membership.

 Corresponding Secretary Dee Winter reported that she had been helping on some projects for people doing family research.  She also reported on a special event at the Burlington Iowa Public Library that is holding their 13th annual genealogy workshop on April 10th and 11th.  This will feature Thomas MacEntee as speaker.  Registration opens on January 19th.  This appears to be a free workshop.  Call 319-753-1647 to be on their list.

 Historian Kelly Burdick reported on her history scrapbook which is always available for members to see at the meetings.  This scrapbook contains numerous articles of interest.

 Librarian Janice Holmes is looking for suggestions of books in hopes that some can be purchased this year for the genealogy room at the Waterloo Library.  It was mentioned that we contact the library for suggestions.

 Registrar Lauri Miller introduced the visitors.

Vice President Duane Akeright reported that continuing next month our meeting will be held at the Cedar Falls Library February 14th at 9:30 am.  The program will be presented by Ray Burfeind on history of health care in Waterloo.  On March 17th our meeting will return to 6:30 pm at Allen College.  The speaker will be Theresa Liewer from IGS via skype.  She will speak on Irish Genealogy.  There could be an upcoming program on our own genealogical journey if there is enough interest.  Information will be sent to the membership.

 Old Business:  There was a discussion of the index card project at the Veterans Memorial Hall.  Nothing has been set up as yet but Steve Hill has contacted the UNI professor, Thomas Connors,  in the history department to see if some students would be available to help for credit.  The cards will need to be cleaned and scanned.  The plan at this time is to  share these with the Waterloo Library and the IGS.  This project could last one to two years.

 New Business:  Steve Hill reported on the planned appointment of an Administrative Liaison for means of communication between NEIGS, Waterloo Library, Cedar Falls Library and the Cedar Falls Historical Society.  Also discussed were the clarifications made about our executive board meetings and the rules for having a quorum.  These changes will be emailed to the membership for their consideration and voted on at the next meeting.

 The meeting was adjourned at 10:03.  Vice President Duane Akeright introduced our guest speaker, author Jocelyn Green who presented a program on Woman’s Work : Nursing and the Civil War.

 Submitted by

Julie Kittleson

Recording Secretary.

**************************************************

The November 18th, 2014 meeting was held at the Family HistoryCenter in Cedar Falls. 32 people attended the meeting. We had one new member. 

First item of business was elections. Hazel Hurley had decided not to run again for vice President. We thanked her for her service. The list of candidates were: President Steve Hill, vice President Duane Ackeright, Treasurer Marilyn Gerholdt, Recording Secretary Julie Kittleson, Corresponding Secretary Dee Winter, Librarian Janice Holmes, Historian Kelly Burdick, Newsletter Editor Ruth Tucker, Webmaster Claudia Hovden, Registrar Lauri Miller. No other candidates were presented, The candidates presented were elected for a two year term. 

Steve Hill read the minutes of the last meeting, Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report. Marilyn also presented the 2015 budget plus a monthly breakdown of 2014 income and expenses. Kelly Burdick filled in for Lauri and introduced our new member. 

Old business was the 1918 index card project. Dick Hastings brought some of the boxes of index cards to show the members. It was decided that work days would be scheduled at theVA hall. The board will meet to discuss how we will proceed with the project. The Family History Center has offered to help us.! !

New business was that the board decided to change January and February meetings to the 2nd Saturday of each month. Dates, place and time will be determined later. This was done due to winter conditions.


***********************************************************

The Oct 21, 2014 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:30 pm at the Waterloo Veterans Hall.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Librarian—Janice Holmes, Registrar--Lauri Miller, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Historian, Kelly Burdick, and Web Master—Claudia Hovden.  Officers absent were:  Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—. There were appox. 32 in attendance for the meeting. 

 Steve Hill read the minutes of the Sep 16, 2014 meeting. 

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the treasurer’s report. 

Dee Winter had email news letters etc. that she will email out to all members.

Janice Holmes suggested several books that she thought NEIGS should purchase and place in   the Waterloo Library’s new Genealogy room. The Board will discuss what action will be done.

 ·         Nov 18 meeting will be at the Family History Center.

           Old Business:

Steve Hill spoke about the Waterloo Library Friday afternoon volunteers for the             History/Genealogy room. Currently eight volunteers are scheduled October to January. More       volunteers are welcome, contact Steve Hill or Hazel Hurly if interested

New Business:

                Steve Hill reminded us that the November meeting is the annual meeting in which new officers            are installed.  If you are interested in one of the positions, please contact a board member. 

                Members were asked if a Saturday meeting for Jan-Mar would work better for the winter weather. Most were in favor. 

                Members were asked for ideas for speakers next year.

 The meeting was adjourned at 6:50 pm.

 The speaker was Dick Hastings. He showed some World War I index cards from 13 file boxes. All cards were dirty and need to be cleaned, scanned into a computer, etc. The Board will establish a plan of action for how this project will be done.

                        ******************************************************************************

The September 16, 2014 Meeting Minutes.

Program started at 6:30 pm until 7:30 pm

Speaker was Theresa Liewer, President of IGS (Iowa Genealogical Society Des Moines) with  Allaire George (Region 4 representative) and Claudia Hovden from NEIGS.

        Duane Akeright arranged the Skype connection.

Theresa talked about IGS, what was available, membership cost and how they wanted to be more involved with all the Iowa chapters.

 

The Sep 16, 2014 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 7:30 pm at the Cedar Falls Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Librarian—Janice Holmes, and Registrar--Lauri Miller, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Historian—Kelly Burdick, and Web Master—Claudia Hovden.  Officers absent were:  Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter.  There were appox. 30 in attendance for the meeting. 

 Duane Akeright arranged a Skype connection with a NEIGS member Susan Kuzmak from Canada.             She was able to view, hear and ask questions during the business meeting

 Steve Hill read the minutes of the June meeting. 

 Marilyn Gerholdt gave the treasurer’s report.  We have a balance of $2,991.49 in checking.  There is $781.59 in savings and $1,288.98  in the special funds account.  Grand total of all      savings is $2,070.57.

 Ruth Tucker – September Newsletter’s were sent to all emails. Paper copy would be mailed                       soon to those without email.

 Hazel Hurley announced:

·         Oct 21 meeting will be at the Waterloo Veterans Hall, Waterloo.

·         Nov 18 meeting will be at the Family History Center.

 

Old Business:

Mike Magee had a follow-up on the remains of the infant found in the new University Ave Hy   Vee gas station lot and where it will be re buried. He will give us more detail at a future       meeting.

Mike Magee had follow-up information on 1930 Pension files at LGS. We should be able to          obtain free copies by calling 1-800-240-6124.

 

***************************************************************************************88

The June 17, 2014 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by Vice-President—Hazel Hurley at 6:25 pm at the Cedar Falls Pizza Ranch.  The following officers were present:  Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Librarian—Janice Holmes, Registrar--Lauri Miller, and Web Master—Claudia Hovden.  Officers absent were:  President—Steve Hill and Historian—Kelly Burdick. There were 25 in attendance for the meeting.   

 Marilyn Gerholdt gave the treasurer’s report.  We have a balance of $2,931.24 in checking.  There is $781.09 in savings and $1,153.28 in the special funds account.  Grand total of all savings is $1,934.37.

  Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting. 

 Dee Winter shared that the date for the annual conference in Cedar Rapids in October 11.  More information to come, so watch for her emails.

  Ruth Tucker shared that there is now an excel sheet to enter the obituaries on, so it doesn’t matter what kind of computer you have.  Anyone can do it.

 Claudia Hovden has the website up to date.

 Hazel Hurley announced:

 

·         Sept. 16 will be at the Cedar Falls Public Library.  Teresa from IGS along with Allaire George and Claudia Hovden will be speaking about IGS.

 Old Business:

 Hazel Hurley said that there were about 8 people that attended the volunteer meeting at the Waterloo Public Library.  The NEIGS will have a volunteer at the library each Friday from 1-4 pm starting on June 20.  There are still more volunteers needed. 

  New Business:

               Mike Magee told us that the 1930 Pension files had been filmed by the LDS church.  He was going to look into how to purchase them.  He thought perhaps NEIGS should purchase them for the Waterloo Public Library genealogy room.  He will get more information for us.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:40 pm. 

 After the meeting the annual garage sale was held.  Great opportunity for members to donate items they no longer need, pick up a few items that are useful, and all of the proceeds go to the special projects fund.  Win, Win for everyone.

                            ***************************************************************************

     The May 20, 2014 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 8:01 pm at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter Historian—Kelly Burdick, and Web Master—Claudia Hovden.  Officers absent were:  Librarian—Janice Holmes, and Registrar--Lauri Miller.  There were 15 in attendance for the meeting.  There had been about 21 in attendance at the cemetery walk at Fairview Cemetery prior to the meeting.  Rita & Rich Congdon told us the stories of five people from the community that are buried there. 

 Marilyn Gerholdt gave the treasurer’s report.  We have a balance of $3,034.39 in checking.  There is $780.84 in savings and $1,151.28 in the special funds account.  Grand total of all savings is $1,932.12.

  Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting.  They were slightly amended.

 Kelly Burdick had nothing new to report.

 Dee Winter shared some information that a lady had sent that will eventually be added to the collection at the Waterloo Public Library.  She also spoke of a class that the IGS is offering on organizing your genealogy that is much cheaper than the one on line.

  Ruth Tucker shared with us that Janice Holmes is going through some treatments right now and isn’t feeling well.  She also announced that the newsletter and the directory have gone to the printers.

 Hazel Hurley announced:

 

·         June 17 will be our annual banquet and garage sale at the Pizza Ranch


·         Sept. 16 will be Allaire George and Claudia Hovden speaking about IGS

             Claudia Hovden had no new news about the website, but did remind us of the session at the Waterloo Public Library on May 21 from 6:00 to 8:00 on different genealogy software.  Also, a reminder about the different work times that the library has to do research that Dee Winter sends out in her reminders. 

             Old Business:

 Steve Hill spoke about the agreement with the Waterloo Public Library and that we need volunteers to sign up to work 1 pm to 4 pm on Fridays.  So far there have been 8 people sign up to help others do their research in the genealogy room.  There will be a meeting on June 11 from 5:30-6:30 so the library can meet with the volunteers.  There was also brief discussion that the items that were donated to the Grout Museum are the property of the Grout Museum and will remain there for research. 

 The next Pizza Ranch bus night is Monday, November 24 from 5-8.  Mark it on your calendar now.  Dee Winter will be the contact person for the Pizza Ranch. 

              

                New Business:

               Steve Hill reminded us that the November meeting is the annual meeting in which new officers are installed.  If you are interested in one of the positions, please contact a board member.  There will be a few vacancies including the recording secretary. 

             The meeting was adjourned at 8:24 pm. 

     Treat were provided by:  Shirley Ackerman, and Steve & Judy Hill.

      *************************************************************************************************************************

The April 15, 2014 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:30 pm at the Cedar Falls Family History Center.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Web Master—Claudia Hovden and Registrar--Lauri Miller.  Officers absent were:  Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Librarian—Janice Holmes.  There were approx. 30 in attendance.  There were 3 visitors. Sister Farnsworth, Sister Assumptian and Doris Hewitt.

 President—Steve Hill started the meeting off by reading the Secretary’s report since Vivian was               not in attendance.             

Treasurer Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report. We have a balance of $3,128.18 in checking.  Savings $780.48, special Projects $1,146.28 for a total savings of $1,926.76. Old    microfilm account is now called special projects account.

 Kelly Burdick had nothing new to report.

  Ruth Tucker said the cost for printing a new directory would be approx. $1.25. She would prefer to send                    these by email.

 Dee Winter & Allaire George told about a Bus trip IGS was offering. The 2 day trip would be to   the Genealogy Center in Kansas City. The date is June 9 & 10. Dee told about an NEIGS ad that will be in a Courier special section soon about organizations. The cost is $65.

 Hazel Hurley announced:

·         May 20 will be a cemetery walk at the Fairview Cemetery in Cedar Falls and end at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.  If the weather does not permit the cemetery walk then the entire meeting will be at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.  Rita Condon will be presenting.

·         June 17 will be our annual banquet and garage sale at the Pizza Ranch

 Old Business: None

 New Business:

Steve Hill stated that Vivian Pettengill will be moving soon and so we are still in need of a new recording secretary to take her place for the remainder of this year.  If there is anyone interested, please let one of the board members know.

Discussion on the NEIGS checking and savings account. Low interest earned on checking, more interest on savings. Should we keep all the money in savings to earn more interest? Marilyn will check into this.

 Kelly Burdick suggested that perhaps some special project funds could be used to help sponsor a speaker or materials for Genealogy Week/Month at the Waterloo Public Library as well

Steve Hill also explained that with our new contract with the Waterloo Public Library there will be one day a week that we will be volunteering at the library to help others in the genealogy section.  We are using what the Waverly Library and the Bremer County Genealogy Society do as a model to work from.  The board is planning to meet April 25th at the Waterloo Public Library about 10 am. We will get something in writing as to what the expectations are before implementing.

.          The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 pm.  

The speaker for the evening was William Sharpe. He talked about what was available at the Family History Center, how to use Family Search, plus a tour of the building, microfilm and computers.

 Minutes were taken by Hazel Hurly and edited by Steve Hill

********************************************************************

The March 18, 2014 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:31 pm at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Historian—Kelly Burdick, and Librarian—Janice Holmes.  Officers absent were:   Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Registrar--Lauri Miller, and Web Master—Claudia Hovden.  There were 22 in attendance.  There was 1 guest present and 1 new member.

 President—Steve Hill started the meeting off by giving the treasurer’s report since Marilyn was not in attendance.   We have a balance of $779.98 in savings and $3,213.07 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $3,646.28.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $4,426.26.  .

 Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting.

 Kelly Burdick had nothing new to report.

 Janice Holmes is still looking for titles of things to purchase for the new section at the Waterloo Public Library.  Anything about genealogy will do.  We may see about having some pedigree charts at the library as well for our members that are interested.  That way when someone comes to do research they may find that you have a relative or two in common. 

  Ruth Tucker announced that the next newsletter will be coming out in May.  If you have something to contribute, be sure to get it to her.  The new directories are due to come out then as well.  Please make sure that all of your information is correct for that.  She asked if we would all like a printed copy or an email version and perhaps due to the costs of printing and postage that we would need to purchase any printed copies that we wanted.  She is going to get an idea of the cost for each directory and let us know.

 Hazel Hurley announced:

·         April 15 meeting will be at the Family History Center (Pleasant & Garden, Cedar  Falls) where we will get the tour of what they have available.

·         May 20 will be a cemetery walk at the Fairview Cemetery in Cedar Falls and end at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.  If the weather does not permit the cemetery walk then the entire meeting will be at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.  Rita Condon will be presenting.

·         June 17 will be our annual banquet and garage sale at the Pizza Ranch

 Steve Hill introduced our new member, Tim Vance and Celia Simmer introduced a guest that she had invited.

 New Business:

Steve Hill announced that Vivian Pettengill will be moving and so we are in need of a new recording secretary to take her place.  If there is anyone interested, please let one of the board members know.

 Ruth Tucker suggested that perhaps an option for some of the funds that we have would be to help sponsor one of the genealogy databases like Heritage Quest for the Waterloo Public Library since there is talk of discontinuing some of the services. 

 Kelly Burdick suggested that perhaps some funds could be used to help sponsor a speaker or materials for Genealogy Week/Month at the Waterloo Public Library as well.

             

               Old Business:

                Steve Hill said that he had talked with Sheryl at the Waterloo Public Library about the micro-film reader/printer and it has been ordered and expected to come in April if all goes well.  We will be able to save to a flash drive when using it.  We are hoping to have a presentation of our donation after it arrives.

               

                Steve Hill also explained that with our new contract with the Waterloo Public Library there will be one day a week that we will be volunteering at the library to help others in the genealogy section.  We are using what the Waverly Library and the Bremer County Genealogy Society do as a model to work from.  We will get something in writing as to what the expectations are before implementing.               

             The meeting was adjourned at 6:53 pm. 

       The speaker for the evening was Rita Condon and the exhibit of “Before William Sturgis” at the Cedar Falls Historical Society that Julie Huffman-klinkowitz had put together.  


**********************************************************

The February 18, 2014 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:30 pm at the Waterloo Public Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Registrar--Lauri Miller, and Librarian—Janice Holmes.  Officer absent was:   Web Master—Claudia Hovden.  There were 23 in attendance.  There was 1 guest present.

 President—Steve Hill started the meeting off by announcing that Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society had signed a 10 year contract with the Waterloo Public Library so that we will have a home for items that we purchase and in conjunction with the genealogy room they have put together.  We may need volunteers to help the library in the future in regards to this.  Our mission statement is:  To form a mutually beneficial alliance between the Waterloo Public Library and the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society (NEIGS) that will serve the genealogical community by helping to preserve the past for the future.  Allaire George and the board have been working on this project for a few months.  The next step is to try to reach an agreement with the Grout Museum so that should they decide they no longer need items that NEIGS has donated to them, they will give us first opportunity to acquire it.

 Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $713.08 in savings and $3,012.76 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $3,646.28.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $4,359.36.   Marilyn had some copies of the 2013 income and expense report and the 2014 budget available for those that did not receive it at the last meeting.

  Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting.

 Dee Winter spoke about the handouts that Duane Akeright had provided after the last meeting on how to calculate someone’s birthday.  They were very much appreciated.

 Kelly Burdick had nothing new to report.

 Janice Holmes had nothing new to report

  Ruth Tucker announced that the newsletters had been emailed for those that receive them that way and the others would be mailed out.  Due to the price of postage going up, she reduced it from 12 pages down to 8 pages to save on costs.

 Hazel Hurley announced:

 

·         March 18 meeting will be at the Cedar Falls Historical Society where Ruth Congdon will speak about their newest exhibit.

·         April 15 meeting will be at the Family History Center (Pleasant & Garden, Cedar Falls) where we will get the tour of what they have available.

·         May 20 with be a cemetery walk at the Fairview Cemetery in Cedar Falls

·         June 17 will be our annual banquet and garage sale at the Pizza Ranch

 Louise Shubert donated several 3-ring binders for those that could use them.

 Lauri Miller introduced our guest that came from seeing the article in the Courier.

                               Old Business:

                Steve Hill said that he had talked with Sheryl at the Waterloo Public Library about the micro-film reader/printer and they are working on bids, etc.

 The meeting was adjourned at 6:50 pm. 

 The speaker for the evening was Linda McCann.  She spoke on her book about Bremer County and some other books she is working on.

 

                        **********************************************************************************************

       The January 21, 2104 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order at 6:35 pm by President Steve Hill at the Cedar Falls Public Library. The following officers were present: President – Steve Hill, Vice-president Hazel Hurley, Corresponding Secretary – Dee Winter, Treasurer – Marilyn Gerholdt, Historian – Kelly Burdick, Registrar – Lauri Miller, and Newsletter Editor – Ruth Tucker. Absent was: Recording Secretary – Vivian Pettengill, Webmaster - Claudia Hovden, and Librarian – Janice Holmes. There were 17 in attendance, 3 new members. 

        Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report: We have Checking balance of $2576.84 and a Savings balance of $4313.81, which includes $3601.28 for the microfilm reader/printer. Marilyn also reviewed the budget/expense sheet for the 2014/2013. 

        Dee Winter read the minutes of the last meeting. 

        Dee Winter reminded us about the work times at the library, the cancellation of “Homework time”.  She also reminded us that we could schedule to other times if that would work better. 

        Ruth Tucker passed around the list for obituaries.

Announcements: 

Hazel Hurley updated us on future programs. She has added the Cemetery walk in May, Pizza Ranch/Garage Sale in June. September will be a program on the Iowa Genealogy Society given by Claudia Hovden and Allaire George. 

Lauri Miller introduced our 3 new members.

Old Business: 

 There is no new information about the microfilm/reader. 

New Business: 

Our Canadian member would like to be able to “join” our meetings. We will be looking into Skype for this purpose. 

Meeting was adjourned at 7:05 pm.

Refreshments were served by Marsha Bock. 

Program was a Question and Answer forum.


              ************************************************************************************************************88


The November 19, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:33 pm at the Grout Museum.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Web Master—Claudia Hovden, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Registrar--Lauri Miller and Librarian—Janice Holmes.  Officer absent was:   Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker.  There were 45 in attendance.  There were 3 guests and 5 new members present.

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $711.45 in savings and $2,160.64 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $3,592.28.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $4,303.73.      

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting.

Dee Winter had several brochures to view.  She also announced that the work time at the library for Dec. 10 has been changed to Dec. 11 from 10 to noon.  There will be no more work times at the Waterloo Public Library on Monday and Wednesday from 3-7 pm as of December 31 (homework times).  Please be sure to use the work times scheduled or they may discontinue more them.

The National Conference will be in Virginia in 2014 and in St. Charles, MO in 2015. 

Kelly Burdick had nothing new to report.

Janice Holmes had nothing new to report

 Claudia Hovden stated that if you have a favorite resource or website that you use to let her know and she would add that information to our NEIGS website.

Lauri Miller passed around the sign-up sheet for treats and to process the obituaries for next year in Ruth Tucker’s absence.  She also introduced our guests and new members.

 Announcements:

Hazel Hurley announced:

·         January 21 meeting will be a Question and Answer session at the Cedar Falls Public Library.

·         February 18 meeting will be at the Waterloo Public Library with Linda McCann speaking about one of her latest books.

·         March 18 meeting will be at the Cedar Falls Public Library with the speaker to be determined as of yet.

·         April 15 meeting will be at the Family History Center to follow up more information from the speaker from tonight.

Hazel Hurley mentioned that perhaps we could do a joint meeting with Cedar Rapids or Waverly at some point and perhaps do it on a Saturday.

               

                Old Business:

                Steve Hill, Marilyn Gerholdt and Hazel Hurley met with Cheryl from the Waterloo Public Library for an update about the micro-film, reader/printer.  They are getting more information about the current models and feedback from the library staff and they are hoping to make a decision and to possibly get it in January 2014. 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 6:51 pm. 

The speaker for the evening was William Sharp, Kacy Novak, and Susan ______.

They spoke about the Family Center website and the Family History Centers in the Cedar Falls and in Cedar Rapids. 

 

                Refreshments were provided by Liz Gott and Charla Kinny.


       ****************************************************************************************************************


The October 15, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:29 pm at Black Hawk Abstract & Title.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Web Master—Claudia Hovden, and Librarian—Janice Holmes.  Officers absent were:  Historian—Kelly Burdick, Registrar--Lauri Miller, and Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker.  There were 27 in attendance.  There were 1 guest and 1 new member present.

Dee Winter reminded us that the Waterloo Public Library is hosting Genealogy month in October and to check their website for several classes that are offered.  Cedar Rapids is hosting their Family History day on October 19.

Janice Holmes and Claudia Hovden had nothing new to report.

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $710.96 in savings and $2,070.55 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $3,146.34.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $3,857.30.      

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting. 

 

                Announcements:

·         Pizza Ranch event is on October 23.  So at least come eat if you can’t help bus tables since we get all of the tips and 7% of the sales from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 6:36 pm so that we could get right to the tour of Black Hawk Abstract & Title by Tim Riley and the rest of the crew.

******************************************************************************************************************  

The September 17, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:31 pm at the Cedar Falls Public Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice-President—Hazel Hurley, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Web Master—Claudia Hovden, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Librarian—Janice Holmes, Registrar--Lauri Miller, and Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker.  There were 26 in attendance.  There were 3 guests and 1 new member present.

Steve Hill spoke about the article in the Courier that Mike McGee had been interviewed for about the pioneer grave at the old Platt’s Nursery. 

Lauri Miller introduced our newest member:  Marilyn Andersen

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $710.52 in savings and $2,107.46 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $2,894.79.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $3,605.31.      

 Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting.  

                Announcements:

·         Dee Winter had been notified that the Grout Museum had some things for us.  Some of it was mail from as far back as 2010.  She has been working to make sure that all of those that would be sending us mail have the post office box instead of the old Grout Museum box.

·         Kelly Burdick has added items in the scrapbook about Mike McGee’s article in the Courier and the classes when Lisa Louise Cook was in the area.

·         Janice Holmes told us that there is a very nice program through the end of October at the Czech Center in Cedar Rapids. 

·         Ruth Tucker said that we should have all gotten the newsletter by email and the others would be in the mail soon.

·         Claudia Hovden announced that there was another Honor Flight coming in later that evening. 

·         Claudia Hovden had also fixed a bad link on our website.


Old Business:

·         Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.

·         Be sure to wear your name tag at the meetings or pay $1.00.  If you need one or don’t have one yet, be sure to note that on the sign in sheet.  To save on printing, we will print new ones when we have a full sheet.

·         Steve Hill received the check from IGS for $246.80.  We had already approved that these funds would be added to the printer project for the Waterloo Public Library. 

New Business:

·         Hazel Hurley announced that the October meeting will be at the Black Hawk Abstract & Title office in Waterloo.  Tim Riley will speak about the records they have.

·         November the meeting will be at the Grout Museum and William Sharp will speak about the Family Search with LDS. 

·         Flyers were available for the Pizza Ranch bus and dine night.  They will also be emailed out.

·         Duane Akeright donated several 3-ring binders and sleeves so that we can organize some of our documents.


 The meeting was adjourned at 6:49 pm. 

The speaker for the evening was Jeff Copeland.  He spoke about his newest book the Shell Games. 

Refreshments were provided by Judy and Steve Hill.

*********************************************************************************************

The June 18, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:40 pm at the Pizza Ranch after we had shared dinner together.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Web Master—Claudia Hovden, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Librarian—Janice Holmes, Registrar--Lauri Miller, Vice President—Hazel Hurley and Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker.  There were 29 in attendance.  There were 2 guests present.

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $708.76 in savings and $2,142.19 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $2,482.18.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $3,190.94.    We will be receiving $349.61 from Famous Dave’s for the fundraiser that we did there. 

 

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting. 

 

                Announcements:

·         Dee Winter has some information about the National Genealogy Society and that the meeting for next year will be in Virginia.

·         Dee Winter had also done some research for someone and they donated $10.00.

·         Kelly Burdick has added pictures of the cemetery walk to the scrap book.

·         Janice Holmes had nothing new to report. 

·         Claudia Hovden announced that there was another Honor Flight coming in later that evening. 

·         Claudia Hovden also advised us that we do not need our library card to go to any of the meetings at the libraries, just to access the computers at the libraries.

 

Old Business:

·         Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.

·         Be sure to wear your name tag at the meetings or pay $1.00.  If you need one or don’t have one yet, be sure to note that on the sign in sheet.  To save on printing, we will print new ones when we have a full sheet.

 


New Business:

·         Hazel Hurley announced that the meeting in September will be at the Cedar Falls Public Library and the speaker will be Jeff Copeland.  He will speak about his book the Shell Games.

·         October the meeting will be at the Black Hawk Abstract & Title office in Waterloo.  Tim Riley will speak about the records they have.

·         November the meeting will be at the Grout Museum and William Sharp will speak about the Family Search with LDS. 

·         Mike MaGee will let us know if we plan to do a cemetery cleaning day again this year.

 The meeting was adjourned at 6:58 pm. 

 The speaker for the evening was Danny Green.  He spoke about the book he is writing about Hurstville that was started by his ancestors.  

**************************************************************************

The May 21, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 7:50 pm at the Cedar Falls Historical Society after our cemetery walk at Greenwood Cemetery presented by Rita and Rich Congdon.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Web Master—Claudia Hovden, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Librarian—Janice Holmes, and Registrar--Lauri Miller.  Absent was:  Vice President—Hazel Hurley and Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker.  There were 17 in attendance.  There were 4 guests that were at the cemetery, but did not attend the rest of the meeting. 

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $708.09 in savings and $2,255.87 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $2,445.18.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $3,153.27.    

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting. 

 

                Announcements:

·         Dee Winter reminded us all to check on line or call to where you are planning to go do your research to make sure they will be open when you get there.

·         Kelly Burdick had nothing new to report.

·         Janice Holmes had nothing new to report.  She did send a thank you note for the book that was donated to us a couple of months ago.

·         Claudia Hovden believes that she has the website all up to date and reminded us that Lisa Louise Cooke will be here June 21, 22, 23 with 10 sessions between the Cedar Falls Public Library, Waterloo Public Library and the Independence Public Library.  You will need a library card to attend.

·         Claudia also reported that the Waterloo Public Library has started to move some of the things necessary to create the Genealogy room.  This means they are getting closer to needing our funds for the micro-film reader.

·         Allaire George spoke about the Iowa Genealogy Society.  They are recruiting new members.  If you are a member of the NEIGS or another genealogy society you can get a $5.00 discount on your membership for IGS.  This will in turn get you a discount on their fall session which will be October 25 and 26 in Johnston at the Lions Club. 

 

Old Business:

·         Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.

·         Be sure to wear your name tag at the meetings or pay $1.00.  If you need one or don’t have one yet, be sure to note that on the sign in sheet.  To save on printing, we will print new ones when we have a full sheet.

 

 

New Business:

·         We will be having a fundraiser through Famous Dave’s on Tuesday, June 11.  Our group will earn 10% of the proceeds for the day to go toward the micro-film reader.  No special flyers, no clearing tables, just have everyone you know eat at least once at Famous Dave’s on that day. 

·         The June banquet will be on June 18 at the Pizza Ranch with our speaker being Danny Green.  He will speak about a book he is writing.  We will also hold our annual garage sale with the proceeds of that going toward the micro-film reader.

·         We are to receive over $400 from the revenue sharing from IGS.  Janice Holmes made a motion that we allow IGS to keep half of the funds and we take the other half.  Doug Marshall seconded.  Vote was passed.

·         Vivian Pettengill made a motion that the half NEIGS receives should go toward the micro-film reader.  Doug Marshall seconded.  Vote was passed.

         The meeting was adjourned at 8:08 pm. 

   Refreshments were provided by Janice Holmes.

**************************************************************

The April 16, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:31 pm at the Waterloo Public Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Web Master—Claudia Hovden, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, and Registrar--Lauri Miller.  Absent was:  Librarian—Janice Holmes.

There were 30 in attendance.    

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $707.44 in savings and $2,372.77 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $2,445.18.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $3,152.18. 

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting. 

 

                Announcements:

·         Dee Winter will email information about the Iowa Civil War Memorial rededication and it will be posted on the website.

·         Kelly Burdick has her scrap book on the back table for everyone to take a look at.

·         Ruth Tucker noted that the dates for the meetings from Sept. through Nov. are incorrect in the new directory.  Please note that meetings are always on Tuesday.

·         Claudia Hovden told us that Thursday evening at 7:00 pm at the Cedar Falls Public Library Megan Smolenyak will be on Skype.

Also, make sure you check the box when you renew your membership if you want your information posted on the website; otherwise Claudia will not post it.

Claudia also noted that the Honor Flight would be returning tonight at the Waterloo Airport at 10:00 pm for anyone that wanted to welcome the soldiers home from their trip to Washington DC.

·         Hazel Hurley shared with us a few of the items that she had made from the last meeting about Heritage Makers.

May will be a cemetery walk at Greenwood Cemetery.  If raining we will meet at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.

In June our meeting will be held at the Pizza Ranch and the speaker will be Danny Green.  He will speak about a book he is writing about his family.

·         Lauri Miller introduced Joan & Leo Ogden for renewing their membership.

 

Old Business:

·         There has not been a date determined as of yet for the fundraiser at Famous Dave’s.

·         Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.

·         Be sure to wear your name tag at the meetings or pay $1.00.  If you need one or don’t have one yet, be sure to note that on the sign in sheet.  To save on printing, we will print new ones when we have a full sheet.

·         Be sure to sign up to enter obituaries and for treats for 2013 on the sheets. 

 

New Business:

·         We also hold our annual garage sale at the June meeting.

 

 The meeting was adjourned at 6:49 pm.  The program for the evening was Ciuin Ferrin who spoke of the Romani heritage. 

 Refreshments were provided by Lauri Miller and Doug Marshall.


************************************************************************

 

The March 19, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:33 pm at the Waterloo Public Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Librarian—Janice Holmes, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, and Registrar--Lauri Miller.  Absent was:  Web Master—Claudia Hovden.

There were 25 in attendance.  There was 1 new member. 

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $706.10 in savings and $2,406.12 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $2,445.18.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $3,151.28. 

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting. 

 

                Announcements:

·         Dee Winter spoke of upcoming classes at the Waterloo Public Library in April and June and a seminar in Burlington.  She will email more information.

·         Kelly Burdick has her scrap book on the back table for everyone to take a look at.

·         Janice Holmes spoke of about a book that had been donated to our group and she is still asking for titles of items to purchase in the future after the Waterloo Public Library get their genealogy area set up.

·         Ruth Tucker said that the new directory has been emailed out.  If you want a printed copy let Ruth Tucker know.  She will send it to the printer on March 22.

·         Hazel Hurley updated us on the next few meetings. 

April at the Waterloo Public Library will be about Gypsies

May will be a cemetery walk at Greenwood Cemetery.  If raining we will meet at the Cedar Falls Historical Society.

·         Steve Hill spoke of a fundraiser at Famous Dave’s will now most likely be in June.  More information to come.  We will earn a percentage of the sales for the day.

·         Lauri Miller introduced our newest member:  Janice Rather.

 

Old Business:

·         Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.

·         Be sure to wear your name tag at the meetings or pay $1.00.  If you need one or don’t have one yet, be sure to note that on the sign in sheet.  To save on printing, we will print new ones when we have a full sheet.

·         Be sure to sign up to enter obituaries and for treats for 2013 on the sheets. 

 

New Business:

·         There was no new business. 

 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 6:53 pm.  The program for the evening was Lorna Lincoln.  She showed us a DVD on Oral Histories & Storytellers

 

Refreshments were provided by Kelly Burdick.


                            ***************************************************************************************

The February 19, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:35 pm at the Cedar Falls Public Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Librarian—Janice Holmes, Historian—Kelly Burdick, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, and Registrar--Lauri Miller.  Absent was:  Web Master—Claudia Hovden.

There were 30 in attendance.  There was 1 visitor. 

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $704.90 in savings and $2,329.64 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $2,428.18.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $3,133.08. 

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting. 

 

                Announcements:

·         Dee Winter spoke of an upcoming German workshop.  She will email more information.

·         Kelly Burdick has her scrap book on the back table for everyone to take a look at.

·         Janice Holmes spoke of a National Genealogy meeting coming up in Las Vegas.

·         Ruth Tucker said that the next newsletter is out and the new directory will be out in March. 

·         Hazel Hurley gave us information on the speakers for most of the meetings for the rest of the year.  The information will be in the directory and on the website as well.

March at the Waterloo Public Library                      Story Tellers

April at the Waterloo Public Library                          Gypsies

May will be a cemetery walk at Greenwood Cemetery

June at the Pizza Ranch                                 Danny Greene on his family book

September at the Cedar Falls Public Library          Jeff Copeland on Shell Games

October at Black Hawk Abstract & Title                   Tim Reily

November                                                                          TBD

·         Steve Hill spoke of a fundraiser at Famous Dave’s that we will do in April or May.  More information to come.

 

 

Old Business:

·         Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.

·         New name tags have been made for everyone.  Be sure to wear it at the meetings or pay $1.00.  If you need one or don’t have one yet, be sure to note that on the sign in sheet.

·         Be sure to sign up to enter obituaries and for treats for 2013 on the sheets. 

·         Steve Hill brought up the updates to the By-Laws for further discussion.  Doug Marshall proposed that the executive committee vote on the final changes.  Julie Kittleson seconded and the motion was passed. 

 

New Business:

·         Marilyn Gerholdt shared with us the pictures of the USS Iowa that had been sent from California from one of our members.  It was noted that if you show your Iowa driver’s license that you can tour for free in Los Angeles.

 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 7:22 pm.  The program for the evening was Mary Kelly from Heritage Makers.  She gave us several ideas on ways to preserve our stories.

 

Refreshments were provided by Karen Orr, Shirley Ackerman and Anna Armstrong.

                   **********************************************************************************************

The January 15, 2013 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Steve Hill at 6:35 pm at the Cedar Falls Public Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Steve Hill, Vice President—Hazel Hurley, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Librarian—Janice Holmes, Historian—Kelly Burdick, and Registrar--Lauri Miller.  Absent were:  Web Master—Claudia Hovden, and Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter.

There were 36 in attendance.  There was 1 visitor and 2 new members. 

Steve Hill explained our new member form that we will be using.

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $703.63 in savings and $1,914.47 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $2,193.64.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $2,897.27.  We earned $157.24 from the Dine & Donate at Lone Star.  We have not received those funds yet. 

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting. 

 

                Announcements:

·         Kelly Burdick has started a new scrapbook for our group.  Bring her any information that you feel might be a good addition.

·         Janice Holmes wants us to keep giving her titles of any books that we feel would make good purchases for the group.

·         Ruth Tucker said that the next newsletter will be out in February and the new directory will be out in March.  She can always use ideas of things to publish in the newsletter.

Old Business:

·         Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.

·         New name tags have been made for everyone.  Be sure to wear it at the meetings or pay $1.00.  If you need one or don’t have one yet, but sure to note that on the sign in sheet.

·         Be sure to sign up to enter obituaries and for treats for 2013 on the sheets.  Ruth Tucker explained that the obituaries are posted to obituary daily times at rootsweb.com.

·         Marilyn Gerholdt met with Cheryl and Kim at the Waterloo Public Library to let them know that we were donating $2,500 for the microfilm reader.  They suggested that we hold the money until they make the purchase and then we can make the check out to the Foundation.

 

New Business:

·         Hazel Hurley told us that the next speaker is from Heritage Makers and the meeting will be at the Cedar Falls Public Library.

·         March and April meetings will be at the Waterloo Public Library.

·         Marilyn Gerholdt presented everyone of the income and expenses for 2012 and a proposed budget for 2013.

·         Steve Hill brought up another fundraiser to dine at Famous Dave’s.  Duane Akeright had brought the information to our attention.  It was voted to do it.  Steve Hill will find out more information.

·         Lauri Miller asked for the new members to stand and tell what lines they were searching.

·         Steve Hill reminded us that dues are due.  Those that have paid their dues will be in the new directory.

 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 7:15 pm.  The program for the evening was Linda McCann.  She spoke about her latest book “The Cedar Valley Road” and the different trains that were in the area.

 

Refreshments were provided by Julie Kittleson and Marsha Bock.

*****************************************************************************************

The November 20, 2012 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Lauri Miller at 6:38 pm at the Grout Museum.  The following officers were present:  President—Lauri Miller, Vice President—Steve Hill, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Librarian—Janice Holmes, and Web Master—Claudia Hovden, absent was Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter.

There were 15 in attendance.  There were 0 visitors and 0 new members. 

Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting.

Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $701.22 in savings and $1,687.05 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $2,181.64.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $2,886.86.  We earned $157.24 from the Dine & Donate at Lone Star.  We have not received those funds yet.  With these funds it makes a total for the micro film reader of $2,338.88.

 

                Announcements:

·         Ruth Tucker spoke for Dee Winter to let us know that work times at the Waterloo Public Library starting in January will always be the second Tuesday of the month from 10 am to noon and from 7 pm to 9 pm.  There will be another work time on the fourth Wednesday of the month from noon to 2 pm.  The library also has work times on Monday and Wednesday from 3 to 7 pm.  Anyone working on any project may use the computers at that time.  May be limited to time, depending on how many people need computers on those days.  You will need to show your library card for those sessions. 

·         Claudia Hovden mentioned that if you are working on something that you would like some help with you may want to email one of the board members so that we can make sure someone other than library staff is there to help you. 

·         Janice Holmes mentioned to be sure to give her titles of any books that you feel our group should purchase for the library.  Discussion was had about perhaps purchasing not just books, but CD’s & DVD’s, etc.  Perhaps we could even donate some funds to help sponsor a database like Ancestry.

·         Ruth Tucker announced that 1 out of every 34 people is a Mayflower descendent.

·         Claudia Hovden reminded us to be sure to check the box or let her know if you want your information added to the website for others to contact you. 

·         She also talked about the new member form we will be using.  This way we can get to know our members (potential members) better.  Their needs, talents, etc.  It was also discussed that we would use this form with our current members and spend a few minutes with it at our next meeting. 

·         Vivian Pettengill suggested that since we have close to $2,500 in our micro/reader fund that we donate that much to the library.  Claudia Hovden made a motion to do that and Hazel Hurley seconded.  The motion passed.  We want to make sure that we donate the funds so that the group gets the credit and it works best for the library.  Philip Miller suggested that we pay by invoice.  Marilyn Gerholdt will check with the library as to the proper way to handle our donation.

·         Thanks to everyone that has donated, worked at the Pizza Ranch, sold punch cards, etc.

 

Old Business:

·         Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.

·         New name tags have been made for everyone.  Be sure to wear it at the meetings or pay $1.00.  If you need one or don’t have one yet, but sure to note that on the sign in sheet.

·         Be sure to sign up to enter obituaries and for treats for 2013 on the sheets.

·         Be sure to get your dues paid so that you will be in the next directory. 

 

New Business:

·         Steve Hill reminded us that there is no December meeting.

·         January and February meetings will be at the Cedar Falls Public Library.

·         March and April meetings will be at the Waterloo Public Library.

·         Nominations were made for officers for the next two year term.

President—Steve Hill

Vice President—Hazel Hurley

Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter

Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill

Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt

Historian—Kelly Burdick

Librarian—Janice Holmes

Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker

Webmaster—Claudia Hovden

Registrar—Lauri Miller

                Philip Miller made a motion to elect all by acclamation.  Ruth Tucker seconded.

Motion was passed. 

·         Steve Hill spoke of having a program committee to help come up with topics for speakers, etc.  There could be 2 or 3 people on the committee.  Lauri Miller said she would be on that.  If you have any ideas of topics you would like to know more about, but sure to submit them. 

·         Ruth Tucker said that she and Allaire George will be hosting some genealogy classes at the Cedar Falls Public Library in January 2013.  Be sure to check out their website for dates and times.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 7:38 pm.  There was not a program, due to the election of officers.

 

Refreshments were provided by Diane Hoffman.


**********************************************************************************************************

 

The October 16, 2012 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Lauri Miller at 6:31 pm at the Waterloo Public Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Lauri Miller, Vice President—Steve Hill, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, Librarian—Janice Holmes, and Web Master—Claudia Hovden. 
There were 26 in attendance.  There were 0 visitors and 3 new members. 
Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting.
Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $700.24 in savings and $1,511.92 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $1,564.39.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $2,264.63. 
 Announcements:
• Dee Winter reminded us that we had a work time at the Waterloo Public Library yet after the meeting tonight. 
• Janice Holmes mentioned that the Waterloo Public Library may be doing some rearranging and then we can purchase some new books.
• Ruth Tucker announced that the obituary list for next year was on the back table.  The next newsletter will be out in November.
• Claudia Hovden said to send her an email if you wanted your contact information to be added to the website so that others could contact you about your ancestors. 
Old Business:
• Be sure to sign up to help bus tables at the Pizza Ranch on Mon. Oct. 29.  If you haven’t used up all of the Pizza Ranch punch card, it expires Oct. 31. 
• We will have Dine & Donate at Lone Star on November 15.  This is an all day event.  Be sure to grab some flyers and pass them out and make copies.  The flyer must be presented for us to get 15% of the proceeds from the meal. 
• Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.
• President Lauri Miller asked for anyone that was interested in being on the Nominating Committee and if anyone was interested in filling any of the positions.
• Kelly Burdick spoke about the cemetery cleaning that was on Sunday, Sept. 30 at 1 pm at Pioneer Cemetery.  There were a few people that turned out.  They had a good time and got some cleaning done.
New Business:
• Steve Hill reminded us that the next meeting is at the Grout Museum.  Park at the top of the hill on the east side of the building. 
• There is no December meeting.
• January and February meetings will be at the Cedar Falls Public Library.
• March and April meetings will be at the Waterloo Public Library.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:54 pm.  Ruth Tucker spoke on different genealogy numbering systems to help keep your family tree organized.
 
Refreshments were provided by Marilyn Gerholdt.
***************************************************************************************************************************
 
The Sept. 18, 2012 meeting of the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society was called to order by President—Lauri Miller at 6:40 pm at the Waterloo Public Library.  The following officers were present:  President—Lauri Miller, Vice President—Steve Hill, Recording Secretary—Vivian Pettengill, Treasurer—Marilyn Gerholdt, Corresponding Secretary—Dee Winter, Newsletter Editor—Ruth Tucker, and Librarian—Janice Holmes.  Web Master—Claudia Hovden was not present.
There were 26 in attendance.  There was 1 visitor and 1 new member. 
Vivian Pettengill read the minutes of the last meeting.
Marilyn Gerholdt gave the Treasurer’s report:  We have a balance of $699.34 in savings and $1,414.23 in checking.  Funds collected for the reader are $1,499.08.  Total in savings including the funds for the microfilm reader is $2,198.42. 

 Announcements:
• Dee Winter reminded us to be sure to check out all of the genealogy classes that the Waterloo Public Library has in October and the work times.
• Ruth Tucker announced that the newsletters were done.  The emailed copies have been sent and the printed copies are on the table. 
• Ruth also had the left over garage sale items.  Any items left over from the meeting tonight will be donated to Friends of the Library. 
• Janice Holmes announced the Cedar Rapids Family History Center day will be October 20 from 9:00 to 4:00.

Old Business:
• Be sure to sign in on the sheet and make any corrections to your information that is needed.
• We are continuing to donate for the micro/film reader/printer for the Waterloo Public Library. 
• Cemetery cleaning will be Sunday, Sept. 30 at 1 pm at Pioneer Cemetery.
• There was a small group of 5 that attended the pot luck at Ruth Tucker’s house on Aug. 21. 
• There were several flyers passed out at Sturgis Falls and we got at least one new member from our time there.

New Business:
• Steve Hill reminded us that the October meeting is at the Waterloo Public Library and the November meeting will be at the Grout Museum. 
• Sign up to help bus tables on Monday, October 29 to help add funds to the micro/film reader/printer.
• It was decided that the Lone Star dine and donate to earn 15% to help benefit the micro/film reader would be on Nov. 8. 
• President Lauri Miller asked for anyone that was interested in being on the Nominating Committee and if anyone was interested in filling any of the positions.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:20 pm.  Marilyn Gerholdt presented the stories that went along with some of the wedding dresses of her family.
 
Refreshments were provided by Steve & Judy Hill.

 


 

Comments