After the stock JBL speaker on the passenger door blew out in 2010, I discovered that the cost of a single JBL replacement would cost the same as two high end replacements, so I decided to do an audio overhaul, even though it ended up costing much more than the single speaker. This procedure was partially done in early 2011, and improved in late 2011 when the RCA wiring between the head unit and amplifier was improved.
This setup involved the installation of:
The usaspec adapter was installed beforehand, and connects where the DVD player for the Toyota RSE system connects to the back of the head unit. Ideally, both should work with the included Y-adapter, but for whatever reason, this caused a huge decrease in audio quality, so I just disconnected the DVD player completely. I could not figure out how to get the TV to turn on in this truck to begin with.
The speaker installation required extensive soldering and fabrication of custom adapters. You can see the installation of some of the equipment here:
Car Projects >