Get the powerful immune-boosting properties of astragalus, garlic and medicinal mushrooms with this delicious herbal tonic soup.
• 1 oz dried astragalus root slices
• 1 inch pc fresh ginger root, minced
• 1 long pc burdock root (Gobo), chopped
• 1⁄4 cup brown basmati rice
• 8 cups bone broth, vegetable or chicken stock
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 cups winter squash, chopped
• 1 cup shiitake or maitake mushrooms, sliced
• 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
• 1 TBS Celtic sea salt
• 10 medium cloves garlic, minced
• 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
~ In a heavy stock pot, simmer astragalus, ginger, burdock,rice and stock over medium heat for about an hour.
~ Heat olive oil and sauté onion, squash and mushrooms for 3-5 minutes, or until onions are transparent. Add salt.
~ Add sautéed vegetable mixture to the soup pot, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add corn; simmer an additional 10 minutes. Remove astragalus.
~ Add garlic and parsley, let stand for 5 minutes and serve. (note: adding the garlic at the end helps retain the powerful immune-boosting properties of fresh garlic.)