Poppy seeds Bagel
1 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 and 1/2tsp active dry yeast
30ml vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
650g all purpose plain flour
1.5 tsp salt
Poppy seeds for sprinkling
- Cook the potatoes in the boiling water, once done, remove potato from water, reserve water and let it cook till lukewarm.
- Add yeast, oil, eggs and 250ml lukewarm potato water (from no 1, not potato but water), lightly whisk till well combine.
- Add in flour and salt, knead the mixture till well combine and elastic, took about 10mins.
- Placed the dough in oiled bowl and cover with cloth and set aside to proof till doubles in volume, take about 1hour.
- Punch out the air and separate dough into 6 equal portions. Roll round and cover to rest for another 10mins.
- Roll each piece of dough into a rope shape, flatten one end of the rope, overlapping the flat end over the round end, pinch together to seal. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Bring water to boil over high flame. Place few bagels in the water and simmer for 1min for each side.
- Transfer the bagels on a baking tray line with parchment paper.
- Brush egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 200c for 25mins.