Chicken & Vegetables stew
*makes 5 servings
8 big pieces of chicken
1 large onion, cut into thick wedges
2 ribs celery, cut into 3cm lengths
1 large carrots, peeled and cut into thick wedges
2 tomatoes, cut into thick wedges
300g pumpkin, cut into thick wedges
1 medium zucchini, cut into 2cm diagonal slices
200g fresh button, halved
1tsp dried thyme (if you have fresh thyme, add 2 sprigs)
1tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4tsp ground black pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate chicken with cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper for 30mins.
- Pan fry chicken with little oil till browned, set aside.
- In a saucepan or casserole, add 2tbsp Olive oil, add onion, celery and carrots, cook till pieces are browned around the edges.
- Add tomatoes and thyme and cook for few minutes till tomatoes soften.
- Return chicken to the pan and add just enough water to barely cover chicken.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to boil, simmer for 15mins or chicken pieces are tender.
- Add pumpkin, cook for 5mins. Add zucchini and fresh button, cook for another 5-7mins or until vegetables are tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings,
- Serve with bread, rice or paste on the side. The stew can be stored in the fridge in a covered container.