Rooksbridge, Somerset. 10.10.10

posted Oct 11, 2010, 1:33 AM by A Standish   [ updated Oct 11, 2010, 8:50 AM ]
Well, the date 10.10.10 was said to be one of the luckiest dates in history. Needless to say, there were many on the rally who came away with that perception.

The day dawned and after the weathermen had been promising the Indian summer for the previous 2 days, the mist lifted at long last and a perfect sunny day was welcomed. The Venue was Rooksbridge, well into the Somerset levels and the drive up to the site along a single track with ditches filled with water, was reminiscent of the Bolivian high road, which was reputed to be the most dangerous in the world. At least the Bolivian road had places to pass - [or an edge to drop off!].

The fields were a mixture of freshly ploughed, stubble and pasture, so we chose to remain on the freshly ploughed one. Pretty soon reports of 3 hammered coins were spreading about the field like wild fire. Our first walk up the field produced several bits of lead and a lovely military button. The soil conditions and signals were great, and mnay a time we were pulling up small items [mainly rubbish] from below spade depth.

On the return leg, a gorgeous pigeon ring emerged from the ground. Probably dated 1990. More rumours of more hammered coins were heard.

The return leg, produced not a jot, so we adjourned for coffee and cake - whereupon the 4 guys from the car next to us, showed us their 3 hammered coins, the hat pin and several buttons. Well, that fired us up and after the kettle had whistled - which startled a few of the trainspotters around us - we were on our way again, this time much lighter as the day had warmed up immensely.

One of the funniest sights of the day was when one of the organisers beckoned his mates, with some degree of urgency, to come and see what he had found -- a mass rush of  people legged it over to him, whereupon he pointed to a stone shape object and said 'don't you think this looks like a dalek?' He was almost lynched!

One of the most beautiful sights of the day was watching a heron in the water filled ditches, searching for food. Nature at its very best.

By 4pm, we had had enough, a small pewter spoon handle was the only find, so we slowly made our way back to the car, passing 'the chef' who had found a silver ring. We said our goodbyes to the crew and then made our way up the M5, arriving home at 7pm - exhausted, but what a lovely weekend.

A full rally report can be on the detectingwales website. Enjoy it.

Well done to the club members who went to the Essex rally.