Isleham, Cambridgeshire. 26.09.10

posted Sep 27, 2010, 12:17 AM by A Standish   [ updated Oct 3, 2010, 5:19 AM ]
Sunday 26.09.10 was a beautiful day at Isleham, Cambridgeshire, well it would have been had it stopped raining just once throughout the day!!

5 members of the club, had bought advanced tickets, earlier in the year, to support the work of the Rotary club of Cambridgeshire, who, in conjunction with RallyUK had organised the rally event. It was going to be a day to remember for a whole host of reasons. The advance party of 2, had set off the day before and having settled in for a quiet evening, found themselves thrust into the middle of a 'teenage rampage' - well a teenage birthday party in a local pub!! Next morning saw them arrive punctually, 20 minutes late, due to satnav problem - [well thats what they told us!!] at the rally site.

It wasn't long before we were all on the same field together and Marlene, soon got into the hobby and found a lovely 19th century button. Husband Peter, not to be outdone winkled out a superb roman fibula [Garrett 250 does it again]. This find had everyone gasping with admiration, not least the finder. What a way to start their 1st ever rally. Well done to you both.

The gauntlet had been thrown down and it was up to Tony, De & Alan to rise to the occasion. De, still on her high from the previous
week, soon found an interesting dome shaped object and a bent object which later turned out to be a Hanns Krauwinkel jeton. Alan responded with part of a Georgian shoe buckle, Tony meanwhile was actively digging some distance away.

As the rain intensified and the motley crew made their way back off the field for lunch, Alan came up with a cut half long cross hammered of Henry 3rd, Dublin mint. Back at the car, the kettles were soon on and whilst theo other 4 sheltered from the torrential rain, Alan bravely volunteered to hold the umbrella over the stoves, whilst Tony brewed the welcoming warm drinks for us all. Food was passed around, to help restore the energy needed for the 2nd half.

We made our way back to the registration area, where we decided to tackle a different field. By this time we were soaked through, but there was still several hours detecting left. De came up trumps with a lovely lead button in the shape of a tudor rose, Alan got another Henry 3rd hammered, Tony excelled yet again with the Deus, bringing in the nummus and hammered coinage, along with thimbles galore - 4 to be precise!

In the display cabinet back at site, was a beautiful anglo saxon sceat, for all to see. The FLO's were kept very busy indeed, with an ever constant flow of detectorists seeking refuge from the rain, [or was it the burger van that attracted them!], handing in their finds for recording.

The upside of the day was that 2 other local landowners were impresssed with the way the event had been organised and offered up their land for a rally next year.

So, well done the intrepid 5 for sticking it out and coming up with the goodies despite the weather, {it never rains in Wales you know!}