OOW Oral Question
From LIFE AT SEA By Nandkishore Gitte
1. How will you take your personal safety on-board HOME
2. Brief particulars on last ship (Bulk Carrier).
3. How cargo was loaded/discharged (Ships Gear).
4. Types & Nos. of Cranes/Grabs and their SWL.
5. What precautions to take for hatch tank top damages from grabs.
6. Details of bridge equipments on-board, can you rely solely on them, how will you for Errors
7. FWA of last ship, what do you understand by FWA.
8. What is DWA & why it is Important
9. How can you find out RD of dock water.
1 0. Hydrometer — what precautions to take before taking water sample.
11. Take RD of water sample in bucket and calculate DWA.
12. What can be found in Stevenson’s Screen.
13. Hygrometer — uses & precautions, can you take readings if there is no water in
• 14. Why ventilation is required for cargo holds.
15.What precautions to take for Coal Cargo.
16. Can you send people inside holds when carrying coal cargo on a passage.
17. Barograph — what it gives, what is barometric tendency.
18. Aneroid Barometer — what are the errors & corrections
19. You have taken visual compass bearings, what it will be, can you apply this bearing
20.Where will you find variation and deviation.
21. What is passage planning & why it is so important for the vessel.
22.What you will do in appraisal.
23. How can you tell if a chart is corrected up to date.
24. How will you correct the Chart, where you will make entries.
25. How will you do monitoring, which all equipments you will use.
26. How can you make out that person taking over watch is fatique.
27.What does the STCW-95 regulation says about Rest period.
28..Whère can you find out Rest period timings.
29. Preparations prior entering fogbank.
30 What will you do after entering fogbank.
31. How can you give training to crew for on-board emergencies.
32.Which publications to be consulted for their training.
33. Name the various emergency drills carried out on-board.
34. How frequently all those drills to be carried out.
35.When you should carry out inspections of LSA equipments & how.
36. Steering Gear Failure take action (NFU & Emergency steering).
37.What are the markings on Life Raft cannister.
38.Where else you will find Life Raft launching procedures.
39. Forward Life Raft — Capacity & Boarding arrangements.
40. When carrying out a lifeboat muster, what checks do you make.
41 .What you must carry when in UK during winter prior boarding L/B, L/R
42.What personal safety you will take during Aft stations.
43.Man shouting, Fire in the Galley, you are 00W take action.
39) Identify the vessel - Towing vessel more than 50 metres — length of tow 200 metres (day signal and fog signal)
39) Towing vessel with R.A.M — If you see this vessel on your port side — action
40) You see a fishing vessel on your starboard side and her gear extending More than 150 rntrs on her stem — collision does not exist - action
41) Which are all the vessels can use Inshore traffic zone?
42) How you join and leave TSS?
43) In TSS - you see one vessel crossing ahead — what is your action?
44) In Restricted visibility Which are all the give away vessels?
45) How you do look out in R.V?
46) Entering for bank - Action?
47) You see 3 blips on your radar — Port bow, collision exist - Action?
48) 3 blips on you radar - Starboard bow, collision exist — Action?
49) 3 blips on your right astem — collision exist — Tell me action for the both vessels
50) Explain — what do you understand about rule no. 19?
1. HOW MUCH IS THE FWA OF UR LAST 5HIP(ISAID 220mm).
2. HE TOLD ME TO MAKE IT 225 (ROUND FIGURE)& CAN U CALCULATE DWA FOR ME?HYDRO METER IS KEPT NEARBY ONLY .1 TOOK DENSITY 1016 AND I SHOWED HIM ALL THE WORKING ON THE PAPER.
3. HE ASKED ME WHICH IS UR LAST SHIP?(BULK CARREIR)
4. WHAT WAS THE ROUTE(PORTUGAL TO U.S)
5. O.K U R APPROACHING TO THE WEST COAST OF U.S ,WHAT R THE PREP. WILL U TAKE (ARR.CHECKLIST,EMCY.STEERING DRILL )3EFORE 24HRS OF ARR., STEERING GEAR TEST BEFORE 12 HRS ARR.)
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR EMCY. STEERiNG?
7. WHAT CARGO USE TO CARRY ON UR LAST VSL?(COAL&PUMICE STONE)
8’ WHAT PRECAUTIONS WILL U TAKE WHEN LOADING COAL.?( FIRE FIGHT.EQUIP.READY,NO HOT WORK ON DECK,NO SMOKING ,FIRE PATROL ETC.)
9. HOW WILL U CLEAN THE HOLDS AFTER DISH.( TEST ATMOSPHERE,CHK BILGES ETC.)
10. AFTER DISH COAL C/O TOLD U TO CHECK THE HOLDS. WHAT WILL U CHECK (STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND NO CARGO REMAIN ONBOARD)
)1. WHICH PUBLI. WILL U REFER FOR SEARCH AND RESCUE? (IAMSAR VOL.3 ,CONTENTS)
. WHAT IS THE PASSAGE PLANNING? 4 STAGES? APPRIASAL WHICH PUBLI.WILL U USE(12 MAND.PUB+
BPG,OPW,ADM DIST TABLES. HE IS VERY KEEN IN SAFETY AND PUBLICATIONS)
14. RIGGING HRU ,EXP DATE ,APPROVING AUTHORITY SYMBOL?
15. HOW WILL U RECEIVE A PILOT AT NIGHT TIME?(LOOK1NG FOR SAFETY PRECAUTIONS)
16. WHAT WILL U DO IF THE PILOT ACTION IS NOT SAFE?
17. WHO IS THE INCHARGE WHILE IN PILOTAGE?
18. WHAT ALL LSA EQP.OF UR LAST SHIP?
19. HOW OFTEN WILL U CONDUCT DRILLS ONBAORD?(FIRE &BOAT DRILL EVERY MONTH, SOPEPAND EMCY.STEERING DRILL EVERY 3 MONTHS.)
What cargoes you were use to carry,
-I said gasolene,Naphtha,jetAl etc.
,,lf you want to load 2 different grade of cargoes how will you go about it.
-I said about blanking the line by turning the spectacle flange and closing the cross over and locking it.
iWhat you know about I.S.M.
-Is it good for you as an oow. Avhat is ISPS.
-How you keep watch in ports as per ISPS.
-What are the L.S.A. F.F.A.Eqpt.you have onboard.
-Weekly checks on L.S.A.
-Where will you log down.(L.S.A.LOG).
-How will you check F.F.A.
-GMDSS daily,weekly,monthly tests.
-How will you check the navtex.
-Is It important to keep the navtex printer on when you are in port.
-Take reading of aneroid Barometer,Is there any corrections apply to this.
-What is appraisal,what publications you’ll consider when appraising the passage plan.
-How will you enter narrow channel.
-In narrow channel pilot onboard,who is incharge of the navigation.
-If pilot takes your ship very close to another vessel what you’ll do as a duty off.
-Steering failure in narrow channel,action.
-Two vessels are passing very close in narrow channel at full ahead speed what will
-How can interaction be reduced when passing very close to another vessel.
-In narrow channel if the depth is less what will happen if you are going full ahead,how
squat effect can be reduced.
) This is yr ship — u see this right ahead action --- what will she do?? (HEAD ON)
2) This is yr ship — u see this on yr port bow action--- now she is at 2 miles — action — (CROSSING)
3) This is yr ship — u see this on yr stbd bow action (CROSSING / WHICH RULE)
4) This yr ship — u see this ship 2.5 points abaft the port beam — action and why
5) This yr ship — u see this ship 2.5 points abaft the stbd beam — action and why
6) This is yr ship and u see this ship (vsl shown with 2 black cones apex together)
— Fishing vsl— action
7) This is yr ship and u see this vsl(sailing vsl) on port side — action — he then showed the same on stbd side — action
8) What is rule 7? Sir , Risk of collision—how will u determine risk of collision exists or not?
9) Explain rule 8 a and 8 fin yr own words..
10) What does COLREGS say abt rule 6 ??
11) This is yr ship ... and u see that visibility is restricted because of mist n falling snow . .What will u do as a 00W?? (RESTRICTED VIS Actions) gave a few situations on it like
•:• Stbd side 12’ —9’ —6’ action
• Dead astern action (her speed is 12 kts and yrs 10 kts)
+ Fog signal heard on port bow
+ Fog signal heard on stbd quarter
12) Smartie board situations--
> Vsl aground as seen from her port side.(identify/day signal/fog signal/action)
CBD vsl on port side (identify/day signal/size of cylinder /action)
12) An azimuth mirror is used to take compass error.. .how will u check that it is accurate and if it is not accurate how will u correct it then??
13) What is Stevenson screen??
14) How is advection fog caused??
15) Limitations of a radar?
16) He gave me a ship model and asked to perform a turning short round??
17) How will u take care of synthetic mooring ropes??
18) What is the relationship btwn breaking strain and SWL?? Can u lift 20 tonnes with a 6t SWL wire?
19) What is 6 x 37 in a wire rope? What is the heart of a wire rope??
20) What are the pyrotechnics carried on yr ship?? How will u dispose them when expired??
21) "What are various distress signals?
22) U have a man overboard on stbd side.. what r ur actions??? U said u will perform a Williamson turn ,fine but still no sign of the man, then what ??? sir the master will refer to IAMSAR manual and perform a sector search...
23) What is a MSN?? -
24) Contents of SOPEP manual
25) Yr ship is at anchor.. what will u do as a 00W??
26) SCBA checks prior donning??
27) He then gave a ship model again and started with ROR--
VSL AGROUND MORE THAN 50M,DAY/FOG SIGNAL
FISHING VSL GEAR EXTD.150M OR MORE ON STBD BOW
PILOT VSL 2 PTS ON PORT BOW
P/D VSL 50 M OR MORE ENGAGED TN TOWING .LENGTH OF TOW MORE
THAN 200M, 3PTS ON UR PORT BOW.
CBD VSL ON PORT BOW STEDY BEARING RANGE REDUCING ON CLEAR
DAY TIME WEATHER ,ACTION
Identify,colour,rhythm of light,which side safe to pass.
-Region A port hand lateral mark.
-Region A preferred channel to port.
-Safe water mark.
-Isolated danger mark.where is the danger.
-South cardinal mark,heading south,action.
-Symbol for general direction of buoyage.
-One way,two way reporting symbols.
-Meaning of flag A,B,G,H,Q.
-Open sea vessel right ahead.action.
-P.d.vessel crossing from stbd to port,steady bearing, action.
-P.d.vessel crossing from port to stbd,steady bmg,action.
-You are overtaking other vessel,action.
-In T.S.S.Tug n tow crossing from port to stbd.steady bearing not taking action,action.
-Can you leave T.S.S.which are vessels you’ll find in inshore traffic zone,How will you
join back T.S.S.
-Can a vessel cross T.S.S.,how.
ON SMARTY BOARD.
Identify,day signal n fog signal, action.(all steady bearing).
-P.d.vessel probably 50 mtrs.or more length engaged in towing crossing from port to
-Normal p.d.vesssel probably 50mtrs or more seen from stbd side.
-Sailing vessel as seen from stbd.
-Sailing vessel as seen from port.
-Fishing vessel seen from stem making way,gear extending 150 mtrs.or more.
-Vessel R A M seen from stem.
-V/L engaged in dredging or U.W.operation seen from her safeside.
-V/L C.B.D.seen from port side,steady bearing.
-A blip on the port bow at 12 miles range.
-I said I’ll start systematic plot.He asked me what is systematic plot means explain.action as per rule 19 d(i). quote the rule for me please.
-Blip on stbd bow,action.
1) What Are The Safety Precautions On A Tanker ( Safety And Pollutin Prevention)?
2) What Do You Find On A I.G Panel?
3) How Do U Do Stripping On A Framo Pump?(I Hal) Framo Pumps)
4) Enclosed Space Entry( Ballast Pump Room, We Didn’t Have A Normal Pump Room)
5) Tell Me Something About Tank Cleaning?
6) Tanker Check List?
7) What Is The Use Of A Deck Seal?
1) Passage Planning And Its Stages?
2) What Is Appraisal?
3) Is Passage Planning Important On Even Short Voyages?
4) How Do U Corrrect Charts?
5) How Will U Find Compass Error On Short Voyages When No Celestial Bodies Are Present ?( Transit Bearings)
6) What Is The Use Of Compass Error?
1) The Only Instrument He Asked Me Was Aneroid Barometer?
2) What Its Use?
3) Does Corrections Apply To This?
4) What Is The Latest Unit For Pressure?
What Were The Lsa -Ffa Equipment On Board Your Ship?
How Will U Carry Out Maintainence Of Lifeboat ?( First Point
Will Be I Will Follow As Per Pms Ant) Then Ur Points Also
Don’t Forget To Log It In The Lsa-Ffa Log)
2) How Will U Launch Fully Enclosed Life Boat?
3) Maintainence Of Ffa Equipments?
4) Fixed Fire Fighting On Board Ijr Last Ship (Foam And C02)
5) Maintainence On Foam System( Foam Lines To Be Drained Ant) Sample Checked For Strength Of Foam And Yearly Sample Sent Ashore For Labortory Analysis)
6) Precautions When Injecting C02 In Engine Room?
7) How Will You Charge Scba Bottles( Scba Generator On Tankers)?
8) Checks You Will Do When Charging Scba Bottles( Do Mention That The Moisture From The Atmosphere Gets Drained)
9) How Were Drills Conducted On Your Last Ship? How Do You Know Which Drills Are Pending?
10) H .R.U Rigging?( Mark Of Confirmity)
1) Action When U Receive Adistress Message? (Don’t Forget Calling The Master And Plotting The Distress And Logging It In The Gmdss Log)
2) Monthly Test For Gmdss?
3) Pilot On Board / Whos In Charge? And Actions?
4) Preparation For Sea?( Bridge Procedure Guide)
5) Pilot Boarding Preparation?
6) M.O.B Action?
7) What Is I.S.M? Is It Good Or Bad?
8) What Is Lamsar? Search Patterns?
9) Isps? And What Did Your Company Do To Implement It?
10) Weather? Where Will You Find Information?
11) Contents Of Weather Routeing Chart?
1) C.B.D On Your Port Side In T.S.S ?( Reduce Speed In Ample Time) Any Other Action ( Alter Course To Stbd And Enter Inshore Traffic Zone)
2) Which All Vessels Can Enter Inshore Traffic Zone?
3) How Will You Join Back Traffic Lane?
4) How Will A Vessel Cross T.S.S?
(Identify,Topmark, Colour, Rhythm)
1) North Cardinal Mark? Heading North You See It Right Ahead, Action?
2) Safe Water Mark?
3) Special Mark?
4) Showed Me Red/Green! Red Spar (When He Shows This Don’t Forget To Ask Him For Which Region Or The Top Mark, He Sad U.K (Preferred Channel To Stbd)
5) Which Is Region —B?
(Identify, Day Signal, Fog Signal And Action)
Most Of The Vessels Will Be On Your Port Side
1) Towing Vessel 50m Or More In Length With Tow More Than
200m On Your Port Bow?
2) Arc Of Visibility Of Towing Light?
3) Fishing Vessel With Nets More Than 150m On Your Port Bow?
4) One White Light Right Ahead?
5) One Green Lght On Your Port Side?
6) Vessel Aground Right Ahead?
7) N.U.C Making Way Seen From Astern! Or Avesel Less Than 50m In Length Aground?
Friends Have Confidence And Faith In Your Own Self .Also
When Answering Don’t Lead Him To Questions For Which You
Don’t Have Answers. He Will Not Fail You Unless You Dig Your Own Grave.
I Am Thani(Full To Mr Ward, Mr Hayes, Mr Hashmi, Mr Finch, Mr
Garrett, Mr Finch, Mr Saeed, Mr Hope And My Seniors Who Made My Stay In Fleetwood Wom)Erfull. See You Soon Friends In Two Years Time.
May Peace Be With You All-So Far So Good
Now He Started Ror .
He Said As U Has Sailed In Big Tankers. Assume That U R 00w
Of This Tanker (He Gave A Model) And Said U R In Tss N U R
Cbd. How Can U Let Other Vessel Know That U R Cbd . He Wanted Day, Night N Fog Signals.
Then He Said — This Is Tss N This Is Land Then What Is In Between?
Which Vessel Can Enter Itz?
Now He Showed Me A Ferry Crossing Stbd To Port And Asked My Act Ion?
So I Started From That I Will Take A Series Of Compass
Bearing At Short Interval N I Will Determine If A Risk Of
He Said Risk Of Collision Exist.
I Said I M Cbd N She Is Pdv So She Shall Avoid Impeding My
Safe Passage So I Will Still )Iltain My Co N Speed With
He Said She Is Still Not Taking Any Action N Now U Will Give
5 Or More Short N Rapid Blast N She Is Still Not Taking Any
Action. Now What?
I Said I Will Slow Down N Ctmufpac.
Ok Now U R Not Cbd.
And A Pdv Crossing From Port To Stbd And Just Tell Me Yr
I Said One Short Blast, Leave Tss N Enter Itz N Ctmufpac N
Thn Decide Next Best Course Of Action.
Next Question How U Will Leave Or Join Traffic Lane? Tss Finish
He Came To Buoys (All Buoys In Region A Only) N Said Tell Me Whatever U Knw About Buoys And Action If U See Right Ahead.
Preffered Channel To Stbd.
And Ur Last Two Vessels Were Bp Tankers. Is Tht Correct?
So I Believe U Will Be Very Much Familier With British Rules
N Regulations Regard Ing Tankers.
I Didn’t Say Anything Just A Positive Smile.
So How Big Was Yr Tanker?
I Said Arnd 100,000 Tonner.
And What Was The Fwa?
Do U Have A Calculater?
So Can U Just Take The Density From Hydrometer N Calculate
Yes Sir (And In Neat Hand Writing I Showed Him All My
Working On A Plain Paper And I Calculated Dwa ) Density Was
N What Equipment U Had In Yr Bridge?
I Started Sextant, Compass, Barometer Etc
What Is The Use Of Barometer N Any Corrections.
Can U Give Me A Reading?
Why Did U Tap It?
Any Other Way To Predict Weather?
I Said Weather Chart, Weather Fax. N Also By Looking At
Sea State N Clouds.
So U Said Clouds. Can U Tell Me What Type Of Weather Will U
Predict By Looking At These Clouds And He Pointed Towards
That Was A Nice N Sunny Day.
I Said Weather Will Be Good Today.
Where Can U Find The Infornation About Predicting Weather By Looking At Clouds?
The Mariners Hand Book.
Then He Jumped On Tankers...
What Ffa You Had On Yr Last Vessel.
(Don’t Forget To Say Isc, Fire Wallet, Fire Blanket, Fire
Wire, Fire Plan)
Purpose Of Fire Wallet.
How To Test Fixed Foam Fire Fighting System?
How Often U Used To Send Foam Sample Ashore For Checking?
I Said Every 6 Months.
N What Is The Regulation?
I Said Every Year.
What Lifeboat U Had In Last Vessel?
I Said Freefall.
How Do U Launch It N How Often?
How Yr Liferaft Was Secured?
By Means Of Hru?
Can U Show Me How To Rig An Hru?
Now Hru Capt Anam Got Is A Typical One. U Have To Tie Painter
Not To Weak Link But To A Black Ring Which Is Attached To
Weak Link. Just Be Careful.
How U Will Enter Pumproom?
He Wants To Listen Risk Assessment, Entry To Permit, Ventilation, Co1unication And Company Checklist.
Then How Will U Prepare Bridge For Sailing?
The Momont U Will Say Try Out Steering Gear N Main Engine.
His Next Question Is How U Will Conduct A Steering Test?
Tell Him First Of All I Will Hand Over My Deck Watch Or
Cargo Watch To Other Certified Officer N Then Go To Bridge N
Don’t Forget To Put A Lookout In The Aft And On Jetty.
Next Question - What Prevents Fire In Cargo Tanks?
I Said Ig?
Can U Tell Me Something More About Ig?
So It Was Like My Fav Question So I Started From Burning Of
Fuel In Boilers To Ventilation Of Ig Through
He Doesn’t Want Answers In Detail But He Was Quite Happy With This Detailed Answer.
Then He Closed The Topic Of Tankers N Asked Me About Passage Planning?
Then He Asked What Publication U Will Refer For Appraisal Part.
I Said 11 Mandatory Publications N 10 Extra N Also I Will Go
Through My Company Checklist.
What Are The Contents Of Weather Chart?
Isolated Danger Mark (Action In This Case For 2nd Mates Is
Jtjst Alter Co To Stbd N Pass Well Clear)
(Action In Same Case For Chief Mates Is Stop, Take All Way
Off, Put Yr Posn N Put Buoy Posn N Thn Decide Next Best Course Of Action)
Capt Anam Wants 2nd Mates Answer N Not C/Mate Level Answer.
Safe Water Mark
West Cardinal Mark
(U R Heading 090 Action?)
(Now U R Heading 270 Action?)
Now He Started Rv.
If U Guys R Going Without Naras (0) For Yr Orals Like I Went.
Please Prepare Oaw Triangle Very Very Well Specially Oa Line
U R Entering Fog Bank. Action?
He Gave 3 Situations In Rv
3 Blips On Port Bow
3 Blips On Port Quarter
3 Blips On Stbd Bow (I Was Overtaking Her)
Through These Situation He Wanted To Hear Rule 19 D (I) N 19d (Ii)
So Now He Picked His Stamps (For Pass Or Fail) N Smarty Board At The Same Time.
First He Showed Ram Engaged In Underwater Operation Seen Frm Astern.
Then He Took Out Stern Light And Where It Is Seen From Now? I Said Could Be End On, Could Be Stern.
These Vsls Seen Right Ahead.
Vessel At Anchor.
4 Points On My Port Bow.
Fishing Vsl Length Of Gear Extending More Than 150 Mtrs.
Pilot Vsl Seen From Port Side.
Next Was Tug N Tow Seen Frm Port Side Length Of Tow Exceeding 200 Mtrs On 4 Points On My Stbd Bow.
When U Say Action Say- I Will Pass Very Well Clear Of Stern Of Last Vessel Being Towed N Ofcourse Ctmufpac.
Also The Arc Of Visibility Of Frwd Masthead Light.
His Last Question Was
U Said Tug N Tow Was Underway. Can They Be Making Way?
I Said Yes Sir They Can Be Making Way.
How U Will Find Out She Is Making Way?
By Her Wake During Daytime N By Taking Visual Bearing N By
Ploting Tht Vsl In My Radar.
And He Said Mr Balhara U Are Passed...
And I Was So Happy That I Forgot Even To Say Thanks To Him.
So Friends That’ S How My Orals Was.
Capt Anam Is A Really Good Examiner.As Per My Personal Experience Certain Things He Want For Sure Is-
1) Safety Matters. Key Line Is "Safety Of Navigation,
Safety Of Life And Safety Of Marine Environment"
2) Rule 19 C In And Out)
3) Oaw Triangle.
He begins with a buoyed channel of 9 buoys on the table & told me identify it, light, rhythm & which side
U will pass. (SAFE WATER mrk, PRT hand mrk. STBD hand mrk, SPECIAL mrk a CONE &
ISOLA TA TED danger without top mrk)
2) MAGNETIC COMPASS
Q: what is it & a) wot Isfittecton top & b) y u use It & c) how?
A: magnetic compass. A) Azimuth mirror, b) bearings of terrestrial & celestial objects c) ARROW UP: celestial object explain how
B) ARROW DWN: terrestrial object & explain him how
Q: a) What Is there in magnetic compass, b) errors affecting, c) explain & cause and where you get it?
A: magnetic card. B) VAR & DEV, c) remember C-IJ-M-V-T,
DEV: Diff between compass & magnetic north. Caused due to the ships mag,cl4_2evc
VAR: Difference between magnetic north & true north , qausedçj,ieto the earths magnetic field and is different a t different places given on the chart on compass rose.
Q: what info d we get from the cle’v ca
A: ship name. Call sign, DEV for various heading, ate of installation & last adjusted with the initials of the adjuste.
Q: when dose the compass has to be adjusted?
A: when in dry dock after major (steel) constructional changes, due to heavy hammering & welding, & If any electrical equipment close to the magnetic corn.
4) 3-le gave me a upside clown shp & assuming It as wreck he askeclme to put the cardinal buoys with the heçp of compass also put the topmrks which were lying o th table & teit him the colour of light anccrhythnt
Q: wot is it, andy is It useclon shzp, pick it up only f he tells you to take,pick
Up with left & take It in righthand andwait for his question, puts the shade Out.
Q: types of adjustable errors, and how to correct them?
Q: ‘Wot me non-adjustable errors? J4nd iww ufinlilt
A: it’s given in the calibration card as instrument error by the manufacturer
Q:.how many ways to correct Index error?
A: Horizon, star & sun
Q: lmncite with building as the horizon
A: ON Sub & OFF add.
Q:put it back into the case carefully
A: put the shades inn & clamp the arm at the mid arc & put it back
7) GENERAL SEAMENSHIP:
Q: ou are In ballast condition & çpt. Orcferedyou to do arrangement for pilot boarding arrangement? (he wants to hear ffreebt1more then 9mts use combination luldr)
Q: Tlectronic LN4’V aids on your last sp?
A: RADAR with ARPA, VHF sets, GMDSS eqmpts, GPS, echo sounder (still he was not happy) then I said AIS.
Q: 7?J4DJ4R, wot is the prêcaittion & limitations
A: heading marker aligned with ships head, scanner aligned with the ships head, tuning, gain & sea clutters control. Limitations: small wooden boats, ce or partially submerged objects may not be detected.
Q: J4IS, what info, which frequency, range anccclangers?
A: ships name. Call sign, port of regst. Last & nxt prt of call, Nay status, cargo, no. Of crew, position & range. Wrks on VHF frqcy. Limitations may be switched off in an event of piracy attaks, not updated & all ships dons’t carry AIS.
Q: Restricted Visibility encountered take actions? (notes from John miller or btç)
B4 goin ahead remember that no surveyor gives k e in ROR, so don’t take a chance be firm in rules from 5 to 19. And the best way is to first identify the vessel and say "I will tk series of comp brgs and find if risk of colisn exist and wait him to tell you to take action if exist, and give ans by quoting only the rule no.
And the take action if you this he wont ask you to quote the whole rule. . - .
I) FLAGS A,B.F,T.Z,G,H,Q & D (he rsked me only 3bt these were with him)
SITUATIONS: Quote rule 7.
Q) T.D. vslon S7BV bow & wot you expect the other vslto do
A: say the first lines. Tke a series of brgs a per rule 15, 1 shrt blst alter Co to stbd. Other vsl maintain Co & spd
Q: T.D. vslright aheacl& wot u expect the other vslto db?
A: no need to say series of comp.brg.jus say as pei Rule 14,1 wil give lshrt blst alter Co to Stbd. Other vsl will do the same.
Q: ‘P.V. slonprt bow?
A: tk series of comp brg If not taking any action give 5 shrt rapid bist if still nt tkin any action I as per Rule 17 action by stnd on vsl I shrt blst alter to stbd & pass by stern.
JUST identil and don’t say making or underway, and side seen from tk a series of brg determine risk of
Colsn exist, and wait for him to ask you wot action.
Q: S.’V seen on fine port, I couldsee both her side lights & more then 20 mtrs
A: as per Rule 18 (resp. Bten vsl) I shall give 2 shrt hist wide alteration to port which is apparent to the vsl.
Q: S."V. Right ahead your action & wot J expect from the other vsl
A: in accordance with rule 14, give I shrt bist alter Co to Stbd, other vsl also do the same.
Q: CBV vsl onprt bow,
A: series of comp brg as per rule 18 (resp btwn vsl) 1 shrt bist alter Co to stbd & pass by stern, he
Asked me any other action? I said reduce speed or take all way off,
Q: CBV vslp miles on port bow?
A: I was confused I gave him the same answers as above still he was insisting on one more, finally I said
2 shrt bist and broad alteration to port apparent to her. He said right action and explained me went she is
Far enough its better to go to port then to go round the stern.
Q: seen from stern & action & expect ation from the other vsl?
NUC vsl as seen astern (identify 2 poss/action /fog signal in case she is NUC)
Small towing with yellow and white light as seen fm astern (only identify)
> Fishing vsl with gear more than l5Om 4 pts on port side (only action, when I said the action he then I have a shoal on my stbd side , now what is yr action??)
> Sailing vsl (identify / day signal / when can she be a PD vsl)
> Pilot vsl on 2 pts on port side (action and fog signal)
> Simple RAM vsl on stbd side(all topics—identify/day sig/fog sig/action)
Towing vsl 4 pts on port bow (action! What is the arc of visibility of white lights)
Vsls not to impede passage in a TSS.
> What is the effect that wud take place in a narrow channel??
> Fog signal of a vessel at anchor..??
What does rule 9 say abt narrow channels? 13)Buoys---
• What does IALA stand for??
• Name 2 places where u have region B buoyage system?
• Safe water mark ( all — identify/top mark/light colour and characteristic/action when seen right ahead)
• Port hand special mark (top mark only)
• West cardinal mark/south cardinal mark (light colour and characteristic)
• Preferred channel to port region A (identify/action when against buoyage)
• East cardinal mark (only action on steering 090)
• What is isolated danger mark? What is the top mark? Why balls on an isolated Danger?
Lastly he said , Mr. Barretto , u have done quite well. . .1 don’t see any signs or reasons that I should fail u ... Ii have passed . .Congraulations.Wish u a very happy and safe career ahead!!
I would like to thank all my class tutors / friends whose names are mentioned below
For their strong support and help in times that I really needed them.
Lecturers — Capt.John Finch, Mr.Johnathan Ward.
Ch.mates -- Cheiston Pinto, Alex d’souza and Clive pinherio.
00W — Azeem Juvale, Neilkanth Bhide, Prakash Shetty , Ranjit Manjunath,
Suraj , Shrinivasa Rao, Kittu and many many thanks to the 2 lovely ladies — Mrs.Mittal Bhide and Reena Manjunath for making this day happen!!!!!
Wish u all a very good luck for yr future and exams ... And yes what ever u prepare for ur orals do not forget MGN69.Remember 1 thing the fluency in yr answer can cut short and put u thru another question as in my case in most of the questions.
Q: wot it give.syou? J4: atmospheric pressure over aperiocc of time Q how you hnow that bacfl’vx is expected?
A: by the falling pressure i.e. Barometric tendency over a period of 3hrs. Read MARINERS I-land BOOK about the TRS.
Q: how to change the paper, precaution &purpose of Damping oit
A: Damping oil & Damping cap have the same purpose of restricting the instrument form responding to the sudden changes in pressure.
Q: some questions on synoptic charts as how tofindthe wind speedz2 nd where to expect bad whether.
A: spacing between isobars & bad Wx in low presuie areas
Iii) PAB: /
Q: wot it gives? A: atmospheric pressure at give time
Q: I’e 11 him how much is the pressure & can you apply this directly?
A: carefully check the press and tell him you’re required to apply index error (from the calibration card) & height of eye corrections.
Q: what It is andy ii use It & wot you do with the data?
A: relative density of liquid. To calculate DWA, so hat the ship may be loaded to the appropriate load line.
Q: which type of ships it is important to calculate d’wjk?
A: ships loading timber on deck & ships loading heavy cargo like iron ore.
Q: wot it is & wot it gives & how tofincit?
A: relative humidity & dew point also to check temp and know when to ventilate the cargo spaces when moving from warm ports to colder ports,
Q: ,f both are equal level?
A: 100% humidity and fog can be expected ormushn cloth may be dry.
(Also remember to learn about care & maintenance of the entire instruments)
(be prepared ith the chart abbreviations) 1’ ,L ‘,o
Q: ‘What 2 things in this chart tel u cdi,i’t use the chart for navigation?’
A: not corrected upto date & the addition no.
Q: where will yo’ufintlthis info, how often publishetl& content of.N7M?
A: weekly notices to mariners (wklv NTM) & cumuiative ntm, published weekly & twice a year, content of ntm all 6 points.
Q: what are the green shadedareas, blue regions, blue contour lines & white areas?
Q: tulalcliamonclwot info we get from i, how often Sp & N)J tides are caused?
A: tidal info at that place with respect to standard port, Sp: twice a month at F.moon & N.moon. Np: twice a month wen moon at 1 st quarter & 3rd quarter.
(Tide rips, wrecks, tide streams)
Q: where will you get the Info about the hght house & wot info dbes It gives it?
A: Admiralty list of light & fog signals, gives approx position, characteristics, pictorial view, also table to calculate geographical & luminous ranges.
Q: remember the 4LKS vol’s and basic content of it (6 vols).
1) Have u seen this instrument on board??? Yes sir??? what is it and what is it used for ?? Sextant used for he then set the sextant to a certain altitude nd cisked to read it.. it-was 56 22.2’ on the-arc ... he then_also, asked all the errors on it ??? adjustable and non-adjustable errors , how they are caused , methods to check it and also how to correct it... he then said that if I had an index error of 2.2’ off the arc what will I do .... Twill add it to the sext alt and get the corrected sext alt which is .... After u have corrected for index error and now ready to take yr readings what will check??? Sir, if side error has developed during this process.
2) U are a 3 mate and ur watch is from 8-12 , prior to yr watch is the chief officer who keeps his watch from 4-8 , how will u take over from him???
3) What do u know about ISM??
4) Next to the sextant , u see another instrument?? What is it?? What is it used for?? Sir, Hydrometer used for take a reading( he had a bucket filled with water) sir 1.016 ,what will u do with this reading, sir give it to the Ch.off who then will calculate the DWA.What will he do with it ??he said the FWA of yr ship is 10 cm, can u calculate it for me, yes sir
5) What preparations will u do to receive a pilot??
6) What are the GMDSS daily and monthly test??
7) How will u distinguish between a SART n EPIRB , w/out looking at it??
8) What do u know about COSWP?
9) What does a flag state do?
10) Contents of Solas training manual
11) What do u know abt annex 6 of marpol?? Something peculiar recently??