MEO Class 4 Oral Questions
From LIFE AT SEA By Nandkishore Gitte
ORAL QUESTION BANK FOR CLASS IV EXAMINATIONS
FUNCTION 1: Marine Engineering HOME
- Why is Boiler water treatment required?
2. What is the allowed chloride content?
3. Why is the boiler water circulating pump required for EGB?
4. How does a bourbon pressure gauge work?
5. How do you blow through a boiler gauge glass?
6. Why is a ball given in the gauge glass?
7. How do you tighten a gauge glass after assembly?
8. What is the setting of a boiler safety valve?
9. What is the normally allowed chloride content in a water tube boiler?
10. How do you blow down a boiler and inspect it?
11. Why is pre purging necessary before firing boilers?
12. How does flame failure alarm come?
13. Type of boiler burner on last ship
14. What is the voltage used for the ignitor?
15. How will you know EGB is leaking?
16. How will you stop the leak?
17. What is the purpose of soot blowing?
18. When do you start the circulating pump?
19. What is the temperature of steam in the boiler?
20. What is meant by superheated steam?
21. How is a boiler safety valve set?
22. What is the setting?
23. What is the meaning of accumulation of pressure test?
24. How do you blow down a boiler and inspect?
25. How do you repair leaks?
26. How do you blow through gauge glasses?
27. What is the safety mechanism in case the glass breaks?
28. Which part of a ship's boiler has a higher safety valve setting? EGB or auxiliary?
29. When is the pressure testing of boilers done? How is it done?
30. Why is Fridge compressor belt driven?
31. What is meant by 1 ton of refrigeration?
32. Is there any difference in lub oil pressure readings of fridge compressors when compared to air compressors?
33. How do you read the lub oil pressure of fridge compressors?
34. Some times the pressure gauges used in fridge systems also have temperature readings. What is the use of this?
35. How is the temperature of cold room maintained ?
36. What is the role of the TEV?
37. What is mean effective pressure of diesel engine?
38. What is the cooling water treatment
39. What tests are done on L.O.?
40. What is the correct procedure for L.O. sample collection?
41. Exhaust temp of one unit is high; what could be the reason?
42. How is LO for X head lubrication delivered in (B&W/ SULZER Engines)
43. Why is a bursting disc provided in air compressors?
44. Where is it provided?
45. If a bursting disk ruptures, what will be your action?
46. What are the safeties fitted on air compressors?
47. If the interstage relief valve is lifting, what could be the reason?
48. Why is multistage compression used?
49. How will you test the working of a compressor safety valve?
50. How does the Oil mist detector work?
51. How will you test the opening pressure of a crank case relief door?
52. How many tie rods will be there? Function of tie rods?
53. What is a lantern ring?
54. What is the role of the Thrust block ?
55. Where is the thrust bearing in MC series or RTA engines?
56. Why is the thrust bearing at the aft end of the engine and not at the forward end?
57. Why is the thrust bearing close to the engine and not close to the stern tube?
58. What is the allowed O2 content in IG? How is it controlled?
59. M/E stuffing box components?
60. What is the role of the stuffing box?
61. What is the difference between stuffing box drain oil and scavenge space drain oil?
62. Why are piston rings changed?
63. What is the difference between a PV breaker and PV valve? What are the settings?
64. Why is deck seal used in IG systems?
65. What are the COPT trips?
66. What is the starting procedure for COPT?
67. 4 stroke Valve timing diagram
68. What are the strokes in 2 stroke and four stroke engines
69. Difference between purifier and clarifier
70. What is the separation principle used in purifiers?
71. What is the relation between oil density and gravity disc diameter?
72. Why are telescopic pipes used for oil lubrication?
73. Why is Fuel timing important?
74. How is checked and adjusted? (engine type based on candidate's experience)
75. What is the principle of a diesel engine? 76. Why are 2 springs sometimes used in inlet and exhaust valves?
77. What will you check in springs during o'haul?
78. How does a roto cap work?
79. How is BHP calculation using indicator diagram done?
80. What is MEP and MIP?
80. What is MEP and MIP?
81. What is the difference between the two?
82. Why is cylinder head fitted in engines
83. Are there engines w/o cylhead?
84. Draw 2s timing diagram
85. Why is an expansion tk provided in jcw system?
86. Why do we Blow through' Engines?
87. How is T/C RPM measured?
88. Is there any difference between A/E and M/E Governors
89. Indicator cards why and how are they taken?
90. What is Hydrodynamic lubrication?
91. What is a rolling contact bearing?
92. What is MCR and CSR?
93. What is PS? What is its relation to kW?
94. What was the specific fuel consumption in your last ship?
95. What was the specific Cyl oil consumption?
96. What is the relation between power and rpm of a main diesel engine?
97. What will be the power developed by a main engine if it runs in DD?
98. What is the relation between the ship's speed and engine power?
99. Will the engine develop any power, if it is run when a ship is aground?
100. What is a CPP? How does it function?
101. What is the difference between fuel valve opening pressure and fuel injection pressure?
102. What is an under slung crankshaft?
103. How many crankshafts are there in Vee type engines?
104. How are connecting rods fitted?
105. Do two stroke engines need tappet clearance adjustment?
106. How will you know, without opening anything, that an engine is 2S or 4S?
107. What are the two strokes in 2S engines called?
108. Why does Sulzer use hydraulic jack bolts for main bearings?
109. What is the meaning of TBN in lub oils?
110. Why is LO of different TBN used for M/E cyl oil and Crankcase oil?
111. What are the values of TBN for A/E crankcase oil?
112. What is the difference between "heat" and "temperature" ?
113. If water is found in crank case lo, what could be the cause?
back to LIFE AT SEA
FUNCTION 3: Marine engineering practice HOME
1. Explain how will you o'haul a fuel injector
2. Explain how you will change gland packing of a pump.
3. What is a SDNR valve?
4. How do you o'haul a globe valve?
5. How does a gate valve work?
6. If a gate valve is stuck, what could be the reason?
7. How is a job centered on a chuck in a lathe
8. What safety precautions will you take if working on a lathe?
9. What is a reamer? Where is it used?
10. How does a Quick closing valve work?
11. How do you reset a QC valve after operation?
12. Is there any difference between relief valve and safety valve?
13. Explain how will you prepare for Bunkering?
14. How do you set tappet clearance?
15. What are the steps to take after a blackout at sea?
16. How do you pressure test a fuel vale?
17. How will you replace an exhaust valve seat?
18. How do you install a bearing on a shaft?
19. How do you specify pipe size?
20. What do the numbers on bearings mean?
21. What is the common size between different schedules of a pipe?
22. If an A/E does not start what will be your action?
23. Your action if T/C is surging?
24. Why is a Steam trap used in condensate return lines?
25. How is gas cutting done?
26. How many valves are there on a gas-cutting torch?
27. How do you light a gas-cutting torch and adjust the flame?
28. How do you set up a new pipe for welding?
29. What is GPR/GPO/LH electrodes?
30. How do you select the correct current setting for welding?
31. Crank pin brg clearance
32. Telescopic feeler gauge
33. Piston removal procedure
34. Welding defects?
35. Bridge gauge main brg clearance
36. How does a Stud extractor work?
37. How does a chain block work?
38. What are the safeties on cargo cranes ?
39. What are the safeties on ER crane?
40. How is the load controlled during lowering?
41. How is the E/R crane load tested?
42. Fuel valve not coming out?
43. Setting exhaust valve timing
44. Pumps o'haul?
45. Type of drill bits?
46. Types of threads?
47. Pipe schedule?
48. Important dimensions of flanges? Types of flanges?
49. Indications of scavenge fire? What action will you take?
50. Where are wear rings used? What is their purpose?
51. Boiler gauge glass? Reflex type? Blow through procedure?
52. .ISSA code book?
53. SG hunting gear?
54. Axe blade? How fitted?
55. Load test?
56. SCBA pressure testing
57. Welding surface preparation
58. No water in GG ? What action
59. Flaring tool
60. What is an ermato joint?
61. Why is a copper gasket annealed ?
62. How will you supervise a lub oil Filter cleaning?
63. What precautions have to be taken during cleaning of SW line filters?
64. What is a Dead mans alarm
65. What will be your action if your Reliever appears drunk
66. Your oiler appears drunk. What is your action?
67. Compound gauge?
68. Method of blowing through gauge glass
69. Pump shaft broken? Suggest epairs?
70. What is Gear Back lash?
71. What are different types of gears seen in ship?
72. What is hunting tooth
73. Why is gear oil different others?
74. What are the different types of Taps and Dies?
75. Why do you take Ullages? How do you calculate liquid quantity?
76. What is VRF?
77. What do you check up while opening piston?
78. Q closing valve operation? Why do you shut the valve again before opening?
79. Start airline getting hot - what action?
80. Draw a LS of ball bearing fitted on a shaft.
81. What is a lip seal? Sketch
82. Sketch a mechanical seal.
83. Exhaust bellow sketch?
84. What is a dresser coupling
85. What is Bumping Clearance? How do you measure it?
86. Why is a centrifugal pump started with its discharge valve shut?
87. How will you align a pump to its motor?
88. What checks will you make on a bottom end bearing bolt?
89. How do you measure ovality of a crank pin?
90. How does hydraulic tightening work?
91. Why is the jack turned back a little while slackening?
92. What will you check in UP space inspection?
93. How will you do crankcase inspection?
94. Shipside valve is leaking into E/R. What will you do?
back to LIFE AT SEA
FUNCTION : Electro technology and control engineering HOME
1. What is KVA?
2. What is special about Steering gear Overload safety?
3. Explain the condition for Paralleling of Alternators?
4. What does different position of the synchroscope needle mean; what is the difference between 6 o clock and 12 clock?
5. Why do we close the switch at 11 o'clock and not at 12 o' clock?
6. Why is a Megger used for insulation test and not a multi meter?
7. What are the safeties on MSB?
8. When does Reverse power flow?
9. What is the harm if reverse power flows?
10. How is the protection against reverse power given?
11. How do you test reverse power trip?
12. What is the full form of ACB?
13. If you press the ACB Close button on an idle generator what will happen?
14. What is Under-voltage protection?
15. What is the meaning of preferential trip? Why is it provided?
16. What is the purpose of the earth fault indication on the switch board?
17. If you get an earth fault alarm what will you do?
18. What is Direct Current?
19. What is alternating current?
20. What is meant by phase in AC?
21. Is there phase in DC?
22. Why is DC not much in use now?
23. Where are you likely to see it used?
24. What does three-phase current mean?
25. What is rms value?
26. What is the meaning of power factor?
27. What is the usual value you see onboard?
28. What is the best value possible?
29. What is the benefit of improving power factor?
30. How can it be improved?
31. What is the meaning of saying I and V are in phase?
32. What is the difference between KW, KVA and KVAR?
33. Why are motor ratings given in KW and that of alternator and transformer given in KVA?
34. Where does reactive power go?
35. What is a semi conductor?
36. What is doping?
37. What happens to insulation when temperature rises?
38. What happens to resistance of conductors when temperature rises
39. What is an induction motor?
40. What is "slip"?
41. What is a synchronous motor?
42. Where is it used?
43. How do you use a multimeter?
44. What is an AVO meter?
45. How do you check continuity?
46. What limits the electrical load?
47. What is the voltage used in a meggar?
48. How does current flow during welding?
49. What do we use for welding on ships? AC or DC?
50. What is the voltage?
51. What is the voltage used for ignition in boilers/incinerators etc.?
52. Why is it different from that for welding?
53. Does current flow through hull during welding?
54. If so why don't you get a shock?
55. What is safe voltage to prevent shock?
56. What is the meaning of earthing in a ship?
57. What is the meaning of Star winding/ Delta winding?
58. Is the ship's alternator Star wound or Delta wound?
59. What is the meaning of ACB, MCCB, NFB?
60. What is a magnetic contactor? Where is it used?
61. What is a relay? How is it different from a magnetic contactor?
62. Can you draw a DOL starter circuit?
63. What is the meaning of overload?
64. What is meaning of short circuit?
65. How is protection provided for OL and SC?
66. What is the function of a fuse?
67. What is the normal setting of overload relays?
68. How does a thermal overload relay work?
69. What is single phasing?
70. How can it happen?
71. What is the harm caused by this?
72. What protection is provided against this?
73. Why is it necessary that incoming alternator frequency is more than bus bar?
74. What is dark lamp and bright lamp method for synchronizing? How is the connection made?
75. Apart from renewing bearings is there any reason for opening up motors for maintenance?
76. Why is reverse power protection required?
77. Why is this reverse power used instead of reverse current in alternators?
78. What is the meaning of excitation in an alternator?
79. Is the field current in an alternator AC or DC ?
80. Is the field rotating or stationary?
81. How is it supplied?
82. What is a brush less alternator?
83. How is the excitation achieved in this?
84. What is the meaning of residual magnetism?
85. Why is an air compressor started unloaded?
86. How is the speed of a 3-phase induction motor varied?
87. How is the direction of rotation varied?
88. How does this cause a rotation to change?
89. How is the speed of a DC motor varied?
90. How is the direction varied?
91. What is a diode?
92. What is a zener diode?
93. What is a thyristor? What is an SCR?
94. How does an inverter work?
95. How does a tube light work?
96. What is the function of the starter in a tube light?
97. What is the function of the choke?
98. Where is a slip ring used and where is a commutator used?
99. What is capacitance?
100. Does current flow though a capacitor?
101. What is the unit for capacitance ?
102. What is a neutral?
103. What is the difference between neutral and earth?
104. What is a synchronous condenser?
105. Where and why is it used?
106. If a motor is wound star and you want to change to delta what should you do?
100 If the AVR, is defective, when additional loads come on will the generator be able to take it?
How do you test, reverse power trip, high current trip, preferential trip?
102. What is residual magnetism? Where is it important?
103. Sometimes, when you change the running direction of a E/R blower (from supply to exhaust) it trips. Why?
104. What is the function of the friction clutch mechanism used in purifiers?
105. What is the regular maintenance done on batteries?
106. What safety precautions need to be taken during maintenance on batteries?
107. Why is special lighting used in battery rooms?
108. What is the voltage available from each cell in a lead acid battery?
109. What is the full battery voltage ?
110. How is this voltage achieved?
111. What is the meaning of a normally open contact?
112. How does a Salinometer function?
113. How does the air compressor start and stop automatically?
114. How is the cold room temperature maintained?
115. What is a self-monitoring alarm circuit?
116. Out at sea, if there is a black out during your watch, what action will you take?
117. After a black out the emergency generator comes on; On restoring the main supply we are closing the circuit breaker of the main generator with out bothering about synchronizing. How is this possible?
118. How does the emergency generator start automatically?
119. If all your air bottles are at low pressure and there is a blackout how do you start the generators?
120. What is a shaft generator?
121. Even though the main engine runs at varying speeds, how does the alternator maintain constant frequency?
122. Is the alternator connected star or delta
123. Why is 440 V used for motors and 110/220 V used for lighting?
back to LIFE AT SEA
FUNCTION: OPERATION OF THE VESSEL AND SAFETY OF PERSONNEL ONBOARD HOME
1. Fire main line fittings
2. Purifier room fire
3. Paint locker fire
4. CO2 flooding procedure
5. Uptake fires
6. O2 and C2H2 storage and operation safety
7. EPIRB and SART
9. LB brake/ lowering procedure
10. 103.Deck foam system?
11. 104.Where isolation valves given in fire main?
12. What is hydrogen fire?
13. What are the indications of EGB fire?
14. 2.DCP fire extinguisher?
15. Routine checks on FFA
16. Flammability diagram
17. In your kitchen what fuel is used
18. Why is the flame not traveling to the cylinder
19. LEL, UEL
20. Flammability range?
21. Between a log and a small stick which burns faster
22. When you blow on a matchstick the fire goes out. In a stove/or a black smith's hearth blowing air increases the fire.Why?
23. Why is a Relief Valve fitted on fire main?
24. International shore connection; Size? Where fitted? Which part is standard?
25. Enclosed entry procedure
26. ELSA, EEBD
27. 33 Fire main line isolating valves
28. How does a flame screen work? What is the difference between a flame screen and a flame arrestor?
29. What is a flashback arrestor?
30. Why should Acetylene bottles be used in the upright position?
31. What is the correct position for using a portable foam extinguisher?
32. Why is a sand box provided on the boiler flat?
33. What are gas-free conditions for man entry?
34. Should the ventilation blower be running in supply mode or exhaust mode, when the Oxygen check is made?
35. In a tanker, why are bonding straps used on cargo pipelines?
36. What is the rating of the electrical hand glove?
37. What is the important first aid for an electrical shock victim?
38. Is there any protection for a CO2 cylinder in case of a fire in the CO2 room itself?
39. Is the CO2 in the bottle in liquid condition or gas?
40. How does the CO2 alarm ring when the panel door is opened?
41. Can engine room bilges be pumped out in special areas?
42. What will be your action when you discover smoke coming out of
43. During your watch, if you get a under piston temperature high alarm, what will you do?
44. During your night duty on a UMS vessel, there is a fire alarm from E/R. What will be your action in case of
a. Purifier room fire
b. Running generator exh manifold on fire
c. Boiler front on fire
d. Bilges on fire
45. 102.CO2 and DCP difference?
46. Man overboard drill
47. Oil spill drill
48. Life raft floatation
49. Ship's Whistle? How does it work? Where is it fitted?
50. L boat tricing pendant / Bowsing in tackles; Purpose.
51. What is HRU? How does it work? Where is if fitted?
52. What is a Life buoy? Where is it fitted?
53. What is flash point, firepoint and auto ignition temp.
54. What are the tests done before enclosed space entry?
55. What spaces are defined as such?
56. What is the acceptable HC level for man entry?
57. What is TLV? How many types are there?
back to LIFE AT SEA
FUNCTION: SHIP CONSTRUCTION AND STABILITY HOME
1. Deep tank construction
2. Garboard strake, sheer strake
3. Stability and buoyancy
4. Collision bulkhead
5. Camber, margin plate, intercoastal?
6. Free surface effect?
7. Static and dynamic stability?
8. LOLL, GZ,righting lever
9. Pounding effect on rudder
10. What are Skates?
11. Types of floor
12. How ship turns? Rudder function?
13. Why is rudder angle not more than 36 deg?
14. How does the ship move? Propeller function?
15. Why is the thrust bearing fitted aft?
16. What action will you take if there is a thrust bearing high tr alarm?
17. What is a "Torsion Box" in a container ship?
18. Protection/safeties on a generator
19. What is metacentric height? What is its importance?
20. What is dynamic stability? What is its importance?
21. What is a chain stopper?
22. What is a dead man brake?
23. How many brakes are there on a life boat winch?