Nam Kyu Kim
I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science and Diplomacy at Sungkyunkwan University. In 2012, I graduated with a Ph.D. from the Department of Political Science at the University of Michigan. I study comparative politics, international relations and political economy. My research interests include the politics of authoritarian regimes, the interaction between domestic politics and international relations/the global economy, and the relationship between economic forces and political outcomes.
On this site you will find information on my research and teaching. You can contact me at namkkim1 at gmail.com.
15. How Do External Territorial Threats Affect Mass Killing (with Mi Hwa Hong)
- Conditionally accepted for publication at Journal of Peace Research.
14. Conquering and Coercing: Nonviolent Anti-Regime Protests and the Pathways to Democracy (with Alex Kroeger)
- Accepted for publication at Journal of Peace Research.
13. External Territorial Threats and Military Regimes.
- Accepted for publication at Political Research Quarterly.
12. Politics of Pursuing Justice in the Aftermath of Civil Conflict (with Mi Hwa Hong)
11. Government Mass Killing and Post-Conflict Domestic Trials (with Gary Uzonyi)
- Studies in Conflict & Terrorism, forthcoming. (manuscript)
10. Transparency and Currency Crises
- Economics and Politics, 2018. (manuscript)
9. International Conflict, International Security Environment and Military Coups.
8. Are Military Regimes Really Belligerent?
7. Revolutionary Leaders and Mass Killing.
6. Regime and Leader Instability under Two Forms of Military Rule (with Alex Kroeger)
5. Do Multiparty Elections Improve Human Development in Autocracies? (with Alex Kroeger).
4. Rewarding the Introduction of Multiparty Elections (with Alex Kroeger).
3. Anti-regime Uprisings and the Emergence of Electoral Authoritarianism.
2. Revisiting Economic Shocks and Coups.
1. Testing the Liberal Peace: the Opportunity cost vs. Signaling arguments.
Selected Working papers
Revisiting Democratization by Elections.
- Revise and resubmit at International Political Science Review.
External Security Threats and Women's Political Representation (with Alice Kang)
- Under Review.
The Role of Democracy in Improving Women's Political Representation (with Alice Kang)
- In Progress.
Previous Military Rule and Democratic Survival
- In Progress.
Political Regimes and Exchange Rate Regimes
- In Progress.
International Political Economy (U, G)
Domestic politics and International Relations (U, G)
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
International Political Economy (U)
International Relations (U)
Causes of War and Peace (U)
Strategic Models of Politics (U)
Authoritarian Politics (G)
Seminar in Methods: Game theory (G)
Quantitative Approach to Political Violence (G)
Comparative Core Seminar (G)
University of Michigan
Introduction to World Politics (U)