NAMI Basics is a free, 6-session education program for parents, guardians and other family who provide care for youth (age 22 or younger) who are experiencing mental health symptoms. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people in person.
You'll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they're getting medical care. Last year, 99% of participants told us they would recommend the program to other parents.
The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience—they know what you're going through because they've been there. The 6-session program provides strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
Since the start of the Online Format in October of 2019, over 6000 participants have enrolled in the course, as of 2/25/2020!!
What You’ll Gain
At NAMI Basics, you'll find out that you're not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. Your own experience may help others in the group.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Accepting that mental health conditions are no one's fault
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child's rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about different types of mental health care professionals, available treatment options and therapies
- Preparing for and responding to crisis
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and supporting resources to help you navigate these systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
What People Are Saying
"This is such a great step by step program that walks parents through every step of the way. It is as if you are holding their hand through it all."
"This class was unexpectedly wonderful! I did not expect to learn so very, very much! This program is well written with excellent segues between topics. It covers so much more than BASICS that the title doesn't do it justice."
"I wish this course was available when my child was first experiencing difficulty."
"I find it truly remarkable that this training is free to those who are interested."
NAMI College Guide
Great resources for those new to college and their parents.