360 Page 07

A Mitsubishi engineer came over this past weekend to take a look at the car (interestingly enough he showed up in a pristine rotary Mazda Familia, as soon as I get done blanking out his license plates, ie. not lazy, I'll post up pics of that car). He had a book that was a register of old vins and production dates. I managed to snap a picture of the page that had my car on it.

My number is LT23-171517. So I fall right in September, which starts at 170856. Pretty cool book!

DSC02089.jpg

After the engineer took off I pulled out the grinder and got to work. It should be noted my goal was not remove all the paint but rather to remove areas that had surface rust only. However, as you can see, a lot of paint died in the process. It's looking pretty good and most of the surface rust just came right out leaving good clean metal behind.

Only got about half done.

DSC02090.jpg

The metal is lumpy as hell. Forty years of luggage bouncing off that trunk area has put some serious dings in it. I'm not gonna go through the trouble of trying to bring that back to straight. I'm only looking for a clean paint job. Besides, I think it would lose a little of its character if I replace all that history with clean new metal.

DSC02091.jpg

No flash.

DSC02092.jpg

With flash.

DSC02093.jpg

DSC02094.jpg

DSC02095.jpg

If it starts to warm up a bit this week maybe I'll head out after work and get a little more done.
At any rate, thanks for all the inspiration guys! Hopefully she'll have fresh paint on her within a month or two!

Got a little more work done today. Mostly just aiming for rust and cleaning up paint so the new stuff has a clean surface to adhere to.

Go the bulk of the rust off of the other half off the luggage area.

DSC02096.jpg

DSC02097.jpg

Cleaned the paint at the front of the luggage area.

DSC02098.jpg

Busted out the wire wheel for a bit.

DSC02105.jpg

Wow, I'm a circus bear! That seriously is one small car, haha.

DSC02106.jpg

Taking surface rust off the bit below the side glass.

DSC02108.jpg

DSC02109.jpg

DSC02110.jpg

That's all for now! I cannot wait until this thing has a fresh coat of paint on it, so excited.

My parents flew over to visit me so as you can imagine I've been pretty busy running around seeing the sights with them. Yesterday, however, my father decided it might be fun to work on the Mitsubishi a bit, so we got downstairs, turned some "Rodrigo y Gabriela" on and got to work!

Door trim mounted to rocker panel trim stuff (not a clue what the real name for this stuff is, haha).

DSC02166.jpg

Exhaust manifold off.

DSC02153.jpg

Shift linkage pulled out.

DSC02155.jpg

Clutch linkage. This is all there is, no hydraulic clutch, just this adjustable piece between the pedal and the throwout arm that pushes on the the throwout bearing.

DSC02156.jpg

This is where the two oil injection lines come into the motor, just under the exhaust manifold. The line runs from the oil tank to the back of the transmission where the oil pump is mounted and then back to the engine. Pretty crazy!

DSC02157.jpg

And, engine out! Was so light we just lifted it out. I moved it around my garage by just picking it up, haha. Looked in through the exhaust ports at the rings and they looked pretty good, so I don't think I'm going to tear it down.

DSC02158.jpg

DSC02159.jpg

That is one small clutch, haha!

DSC02160.jpg

Empty engine bay and tiny transmission. Think I'm going to leave the transmission in since it's mounted really pretty well and a lot of linkage is connected from it to rotation points on the body.

DSC02161.jpg

Expansion pipe out. On the left is the inlet for the heater air. It passes around the expansion pipe and exists on the right.

DSC02162.jpg

The top pipe in the picture is the exhaust inlet from the exhaust manifold, the middle is the exit for the heater air and the bottom one is the exhaust outlet and bolts up to the exhaust pipe.

DSC02163.jpg

With no engine in it the car is pretty light, haha!

DSC02165.jpg

Got my wiper and choke controls out.

DSC02167.jpg

Got the parcel tray thing, antenna and side vents out.

DSC02168.jpg

Pulled the gauge cluster out. This thing is seriously cool and extremely simple!

DSC02169.jpg

DSC02171.jpg

The bit of the dash that has to be painted with the rest of the interior.

DSC02172.jpg

That's all for now! Will keep the updates rolling in! 

Check out Page 8!


Navigation:

360 Page 01 360 Page 02 360 Page 03 360 Page 04 360 Page 05 360 Page 06 360 Page 07 360 Page 08 360 Page 09 360 Page 10
360 Page 11 360 Page 12 360 Page 13 360 Page 14 360 Page 15 360 Page 16 360 Page 17 360 Page 18 360 Page 19 360 Page 20
360 Page 21 360 Page 22 360 Page 23 360 Page 24 360 Page 25 360 Page 26

Comments