A vacation in Nahariya can include relaxing days on the beach but there are many other historical and cultural activities to enhance any northern Israel vacation
· The Leiberman House The Leiberman House was converted from an early home into a museum. Estimates are that the house was built in the 1860s, before Jewish settlement began in the area. Its displays the life of the early years of the city as it was settled by German Jews who were fleeing Nazi Germany. The opportunity to create a town with a familiar European character and a strong work ethic appealed to these German Jews and the immigrants began to build small industries, little businesses and a thriving tourist trade. Exhibits include photos and documents that describe the lives of these early pioneers. Irit Street, off Road 4, near Hatzafon Mall; 011-972-4-982-1516; firstname.lastname@example.org
· Nahariya Water Tower -- The Nahariya Water Tower is, today, an art gallery with temporary exhibits and a lovely garden area. It was one of the first buildings constructed in the city limits and its purpose was to provide water to the city. It was also used as a communications station to transmit messages, via Morse Code, to the northern border area and south to Haifa and as an observation station. A hidden hall underneath the tower floor was used in pre-State days to train Haganah soldiers. Today it serves as an art gallery in conjunction with the municipality, the "Inner Wheel" non-profit organization and the Council for the Preservation of Historical Sites. Sculptures are exhibited in the yard and on the terrace and the tower serves as a venue for lectures and cultural and musical performances. North of Haga’aton, on Jabotinski Street.
· Tourist Train -- a vacation in Nahariya can include a trip on the tourist train which runs during summer evenings as the pleasant sea breeze from the ocean comes up. The train is a replica locomotive with two wagons and can carry about fifty passengers. It departs from Sderot HaGa’aton and travels from the city center to the beach.
· Sderot HaGa’aton -- the road that crosses the town from east to west, surrounding the Ga'aton River. There are coffee houses, shops and restaurants along the street, providing a European flavor to the area. Horse-drawn carriages take visitors for drives through the city and along the coast.
· Byzantine Church -- The church was uncovered in 1964. It has an elaborate, mosaic floor which includes 17 colors and depicts peacocks and other birds, hunting and working scenes, and plants. It was part of what archaeologists believe to have been one of the largest and most beautiful Byzantine churches built in the Western Galilee. On Bielefeld Street
· The Botanical and Zoological Garden -- The gardens are open for northern Israel vacation travelers who want to explore the fauna and flora of the area. In addition to indigenous plantlife the gardens display plants from all over the world along with a wide range of animal life including a reptile house, a petting zoo and pelicans, coatis, giant deer, and other animals. Ben-Gaon Street in the Rassco neighborhood
· Municipal museum -- The Municipal Museum is in the Municipal Building. The fifth floor includes an art exhibit. The sixth floor displays an interesting malacology (shell) collection along with artifacts from the area around Nahariya. The seventh floor exhibits a history of the town. Sundays through Fridays from 10a.m. to noon, Sundays and Wednesdays from 4p.m. to 6p.m. Admission is free. Ha-Iriya Square
· Canaanite Temple Ruins -- Discovered in 1947 and believed to be a pagan temple which was dedicated to the Canaanite goddess of the sea, Astarte/Asherath. The temple dates from about 1500 B.C. Arrange with the Municipal Museum to be taken inside the site. No admission fee. Ha-Ma'apilim Street, a few yards up from the Municipal Beach (can be seen from the beach).
· Carriage Rides - there are relaxing horse and buggy rides along the main part of town and along the Nahariya beachfront for tourists to enjoy