- 1 cup urad dal
- 2 1/2 cups rice (idli rice )
- 1/4 cup puffed rice or hard beaten rice
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash urad dal 3 to 4 times,till the water runs clear.soak it in water for 5 hrs or overnight.
- Wash idli rice and soak it in water for 5 hrs or overnight.
- Grind the urad dal to fine and thick batter using little water,pour into a big vessel.
- Grind rice and puffed rice into a fine batter using water.Pour onto the urad dal batter and mix well.Whisk the batter with your hand to incorporate air.
- Cover the vessel with a cloth tightly,place a plate on top and keep in a warm place overnight to ferment.
- Next day ,the batter would have risen,mix well add salt and water to adjust consistency.The batter should be thicker that dosa batter.
- Pour water into the idli steamer cover and bring the water to boil.
- Meanwhile oil idli bowls,we also use small steel tumblers (lota).Pour the batter into the steel bowls and place inside the idli steamer.
- Steam on medium low flame for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with sambhar and chutney.