2. In a heavy saucepan, combine the first amount of sugar with water. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar melts. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, until caramel turns amber, 5 to 7 minutes. Carefully pour caramel into 3/4 cup ramekins and tilt to coat insides evenly. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites and second amount of sugar until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, ginger and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Stir in milk. Pour into prepared ramekins. Skim off any air bubbles.
4. Place a folded kitchen towel in a roasting pan. Place ramekins on towel. Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the outsides of the ramekins.
5. Bake flans for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in their centers comes out clean. Remove ramekins from water and let cool on wire rack. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
6. To serve, run a knife around the edge of each flan and invert into shallow dessert bowls.