It's been a while since the last update, so I figured it was time to make a new post to show how things are going for MyKaryotes.
This post will have three sections covering each of the three current projects I have going.
Might as well start with the much-anticipated v1.5 first.
Development on it is still pretty slow, which is mostly attributable to my being a novice still with Python and Pygame, but progress is ongoing. In some ways, it has now gotten further than the original version written in LÖVE
Below is a screenshot of what I have so far:
A lot of the work right now is focused on the buttons, namely making them do stuff when clicked. So far only the Quit button actually does what it's supposed to. The button for pausing/unpausing the game toggles its icon right now, but that's it so far. Visible is the new Options button moved to the top-right and given a new icon that may or may not be replaced with a better one later after I pick up more Inkscape skills.
There is no collision still other than the cells bouncing off the sides of the arena. Walls and cells are both present, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get things like transparency and colorizing working (but size changes are already possible).
Cells already have a tumble-and-run behavior instated, but don't do anything else besides that, so I wouldn't consider them to be alive just yet. I found out that Pygame's Rect objects only move in integer amounts, so slowing down due to friction causes weird direction changes. I'm looking for some way to work again with doubles or floats instead for more precise movement, but haven't settled on anything in particular yet.
Finally, I also managed to add the FPS display back to the lower-right hand corner. It's almost always at 30 FPS while this runs, which is a good sign so far. I haven't tried it on Windows yet (development has been purely Ubuntu so far), but I'm hoping it will have similar performance there.
MyKaryotes Abiogenesis v.1.0.3
The main focus for MyKaryotes Abiogenesis v.1.0.3, the next stable release update, will be focused on speeding things up as much as possible. This is mostly coming from my implementation of surfaces
to reduce drawing time.
The terrain is now drawn to a surface once each time it changes and then the portion of it which is visible in the zoom view is drawn onscreen. This change alone lead to a whopping 5-10 FPS speed gain on my own laptop, which I consider to be pretty impressive. I've also consolidated the highlights drawn on cells into one sprite, and am in the process of drawing the text stuff onto surfaces too to boost speed even further. What this all means is that v.1.0.3 should feel a lot snappier than previous versions did.
There's a couple graphical improvements and bug fixes here and there, as well.
MyKaryotes Standard Cell EditorMan
, this thing needed an update for a long time. I decided to look into it again and do some graphical improvements / code cleanup.
One of the more notable things the new version will have is smarter terminal command autocompletion ("smarter" as in both it behaves more intelligently and I wrote it the way I was supposed to in the first place). The key for autocompletion has changed from Insert to Tab, which is actually consistent with terminal autocompletion on Linux.
A blur effect has been implemented for menu backgrounds that should hopefully make text a bit more legible. In addition, several spacing issues with menus have been taken care of, so it should feel less cramped.
I plan to release whatever improvements I have for the Editor at the same time MyKaryotes v.1.0.3 is released, which hopefully will be sometime around the end of the month (but no promises).
Well, that's all I have for now. Stay tuned for more updates!