Tomatoless Marinara Sauce
This recipe was cooked up in myhappyhomestead kitchen as a solution to our son's nightshade intolerance. We needed a staple sauce ready to go at all times for all of those family favorites-everything from tacos, chili, to sloppy joes this sauce can be used as a great base to help get you started.
Yields:6 Cups Sauce
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 3 Carrots (diced)
- 2 Stalks Celery (diced)
- 1 Small-Medium Onion (loosely diced)
- 4 C Beef or Chicken Broth
- 1 C Water
- 1 C Pumpkin or 1 C Sweet Potato Puree’
- 4 Cooked Beets (peeled and sliced)
- 2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 T Lemon Juice
- 2 T Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Pour just enough EVOO
in a Dutch oven or large stock pot to lightly coat the bottom of the pot.
2. Sautee’ carrots, celery and onions over medium heat until onions are
translucent and carrots are slightly softened.
3. Add broth, water and pumpkin puree (or sweet potato puree) and simmer 2-3
4. Add sliced beets, vinegar, lemon juice and seasonings and continue to cook
5-6 minutes or just
until hot (DO NOT over cook the sauce or it will turn brown from over
cooking the beets.)
5. Using an immersion blender, puree’ and serve immediately or freeze in
containers. I use a silicone muffin tin like this one, freeze individual
portion sizes, pop the frozen sauce cups out, and then freeze in a gallon
zip-lock for later use.