SAINT MONICA'S CATHOLIC CHURCH is located in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan that has been the home to Albanian, Czech, German, Hungarian, Irish, Jewish, Lebanese, Polish, Russia, and Slovak immigrants. A few of its churches and an occasional German deli or Hungarian cafe are about the only clues to its past. Founded in June 1879 the Church of St. Monica is at 79th Street (between First & York Avenues) Construction of the church began in 1881 with the completion of the church’s tower occurring in 1883. The church is six blocks east of Fifth Avenue and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
A number of old mansions built by the very wealthy during the Gilded Age were built on the Upper East Side. Some of them have been turned into museums. The Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum at 91st Street and Fifth Avenue was once the home of Andrew Carnegie (who made his fortune in steel). Carnegie's partner, Henry Clay Frick, built his $17 million-dollar mansion at East 70th Street and Fifth Avenue. It now houses the Frick Museum. A visit there is a trip back to the Gilded Age and a journey through an important and extensive 30-million-dollar collection of art.