JUDSON MEMORIAL CHURCH was designed by Stanford White, and is at the south end of Washington Square
Park. White based the design of the church's tower on the Basilica di Santa Maria in Cosmedin in Rome. The church's hooded doorway was based on those of the Alberti's basilica of Saint Andrea in Mantua. Judson Memorial is a beautiful example of Italian
Renaissance design and was built to honor Adoniran
Judson, the first American foreign missionary (who served in Burma).
John La Farge (1835 - 1910), Tiffany’s
main competitor in stained glass,
designed this church's 17 stained glass windows.
The church’s mission was to aid the immigrants in its neighborhood and
it has often focused on controversial social issues by serving runaway
teenagers, persons with AIDS and those with drug problems. Judson Memorial also played a role in the
artistic development of the community by providing space for art exhibitions, a
dance theatre, the Living Theatre, and political performances.
GREENWICH VILLAGE >