SAINT GEORGE'S UKRAINIAN CATHOLIC CHURCH is in an East Village neighborhood on the Lower East Side (around Houston Street and Third Avenue) which was settled by Ukrainians in the 1870s and became known as “Little Ukraine.” It is designed in classical Ukrainian Byzantine architecture and is located at East Seventh Street (between Second and Third Avenues). The original church was built in 1905 at 20th Street and First Avenue. Today, St. George’s operates an elementary and high school. The church complex includes a rectory, a convent and apartment buildings. Diagonally across the street from the church is McSorley's Old Ale House (1854) one of the oldest and most famous bars in New York City.
EAST VILLAGE >