THE PINE TREE BANK BRIDGE, one of the most beloved and more famous bridges in New York City's Central Park, was constructed in 1861 and designed by J.B. and W.W. Cornell Ironworks. It is the only remaining one of three cast iron bridges that once covered a bridle path (the two others were destroyed during a renovation in 1930). Constructed of cast iron, wood and steel, the bridge has an ornate cast iron handrail with elegant latticework of a Gothic-inspired style. The pine trees at the bridge were planted when the NYC Parks Department restored the bridge in 1984. The bridge is located near Central Park West Side's entrance at Columbus Circle and 60th Street and close to the Time Warner Cable Center skyscraper.
CENTRAL PARK >