BATTERY PARK‎ > ‎

BATTERY PARK PIER A


BATTERY PARK PIER A was once a place where heads of states and distinguished celebrities were greeted.  The Victorian structure was built in 1886 and once housed the Department of Docks and is the last standing pier at Battery Park (other piers were demolished in the late 70s/early 80s to build Battery Park City, an apartment complex). 

This pier is constructed 300 feet out into the water, overlooks New York harbor and is the closest site in Manhattan to the Statue of Liberty.  Battery Park is at the southern tip of Manhattan where the Hudson and East Rivers converge.  The first pier to be built along the East River was constructed in 1648. 
Currently the Pier is being redeveloped by the Poulakakos family and the Dermot Company, and is expected to reopen some time in 2013.  A public plaza around the pier is scheduled to open at the same time.


The Beaux Art-styled BATTERY PARK MARITIME BUILDING- Slip 7 built in 1906-1909, is the last of the many ferry terminals that once lined New York Harbor at South Ferry.The back of the building juts out into the East River and ferries to Governors Island and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn run from here.  It is adjacent to the newer and more modern Staten Island Ferry Terminal which operates daily ferries to and from Staten Island. A ride on the Staten Island Ferry is one of the best and cheapest things to do in the City (it's free). The 5.2 mile journey takes 25 minutes each way. Currently, there are nine steamed-powered boats among its fleet bearing such names of "Spirit of America." Around 65,000 passengers per day and over 20 million each year take the Staten Island Ferry ride.

Comments