ARCHITECTURE PHOTO GALLERY

A History of Styles and Architectural Heritage

Empire State Building lit in holiday colors


Beaux Art design of the James F.D. and Harriet Lanier House at 123 East 35th Street in the Murray Hill section of Manhattan. Built between 1901 and 1903 by architects Hoppin and Klein of the McKim, Mead, and White architect firm. The Beaux Art style was very popular from 1885 through 1920 and known for its ornamentation and grandiose size and frequently used for the design of government buildings and museums. (Other NYC examples are: the Grand Central Terminal and the New York Public Library.)


Old stable-styled house at 149 East 48th Street.  This red brick and stone stable, the George S. Bowdoin Stable, has a beauiful facade and a gable entrance with the bust of a bulldog.  Sculptures of horses are to each side of the building which was constructed in 1902.


The Dorilton, a luxury apartment building at 171 W. 71 Street in the Lincoln Center neighborhood, was developed by Hamilton M. Weed, and designed by Elisha Harris Janes and Richard Leopold Leo in 1902.  Brick and limestone trim highlight the French-inspired Beaux Arts structure.  Three-story copper and slate mansard roofs top off the building with its chateau-style chimneys and pointed roofline accents.  Sculptures of draped maidens and near-nude muscular men accent some of its balconies.  The sculptures are structural elements and are known as caryatids (if they are maidens) and atlantes (if they are male).  Its ornate entrance is of cast-iron fences with globe-topped columns and two putti.  A side-street entrance leads to a courtyard and a “light-well” that bridges the ninth story by an arch.  Initially, architect critics were not praiseworthy and found the building “flamboyant.”  However, the Dorilton remains a favorite of many Upper West Siders today.