The Shrine, the first War Memorial at Southend, Mumbles

     A Village Memorial to the fallen of The Great War, The Shrine was unveiled on Saturday  14th September 1918 in Parade Gardens.

'It is computed that about 120 Mumbles Boys have made the supreme sacrifice'.
Herald Of Wales

The Shrine unveiling ceremony

       'About 400 people gathered in the Mumbles Park on Saturday afternoon, 14th September 1918, when the ceremony of unveiling a war shrine was performed by the Vicar (Rev. Harold S. Williams). Among those present were the Revs, H. W. Green. Latimer Davies (Rector of Oxwich), Councillors John Harris, C. P. Bell, Edmund Bevan and H. Davies.  Prior to the unveiling ceremony the church choir, fully surpliced, marched from the church to the park. A Firing party was in attendance, and the Last Post was sounded.
 
Herald of Wales  

The Shrine, made of wood and painted black is shown here resplendent with wreaths and flowers.
The 'Shrine' was made of wood and painted black and is shown draped with flowers


 2006




 
 
Mumbles British Legion at the dedication
 
 
A comment from a relative, whose fathers
name is inscribed on the memorial
  
  2011 

 
    The two names shown above, have been added to the Southend War Memorial commemorating those who died after 1945 in the service of their country and their details are recorded on the page:
      1918 
 
It is sometimes recorded that Mumbles was the last place to produce its memorial to Honour the Fallen of the Great War.
    But, the 'Bit Badge Boys', local ex-servicemen (pictured above) raised the £40 pounds needed for the construction of the wooden Shrine which was unveiled on 14th September 1918. Sadly, Mumbles Press reported on 10 October 1918 that the Shrine and flowers had been damaged and flowers stolen and so, after discussion the Oystermouth District Council agreed to open the gates to the Shrine only between 10 and 4 each day.

  1939 
 
  However, in July 1939, the UKs final stone memorial to the Great War was unveiled in Mumbles. 

 This ceremony took place 21 years after the end of the First World War and within five weeks of Britain’s entry into the Second.  

The new grey granite monument was dedicated by The Vicar of Oystermouth, the Reverend W.D.G. Wilkinson and the service concluded with the Last Post and Reveille
by the Royal British Legion bugler.

 
The photo shows Mrs. Ann Hixson, of Newton, wearing her sons medals.
    Her youngest son, David John Stanley HIXSON, was killed in the Great War, (not her only son, as reported in the newspaper cutting, shown below) performing the unveiling ceremony of the original memorial at Parade Gardens (as it was then known), 3th July 1939.
    Mrs Hixson's great granddaughter, Yvonne O'Sulivan, has advised us, and Parish records show that Ann and her husband Solomon had six daughters and four sons.
 
 
Cutting from a local newspaper
 
After the Second World War, the inscription on the Mumbles 1914-1918 Memorial was re-carved and ‘1939—1945’ (by W A Morris, stonemason) thereby commemorating the fallen of the to wars on its single plinth.
 
After the Second World War
 

 2006   

 
The New Mumbles Memorial rededicated on 11th November 2006.
Mumbles Community Council rededicated the memorial by adding granite plinths placed either side, inscribed with the names of the Great War and Second World War local casualties.
 
 
 
Mr Bill Baringtom, Verger of All Saints'Church,
is a veteran of the Second World War and
knew many of those named on the
1939-1945 Roll of Honour.


 
George J Isaac & Son Ltd
Monumental Masons, Mumbles
updated the stone on two occasions, first in 2006 when there was the addition of the names and
secondly, in 2011 when the rear of the stone
had an inscription added along with the two post WW2 names.
They also maintain the memorial when requested by Mumbles Community Council.