Israel receives, in addition to political and moral support, $3 billion annually in foreign aid from the United States. Most of it is military aid and is spent in the USA. Besides having a strong, democratic ally, what does the USA receive in return?The following bibliography is an attempt to put into perspective how Israel aids the USA and its citizens.
This is just a "drop in the bucket". I plan to continue adding to this list
To be placed on my mailing list to receive updates, please send me an
e-mail with IsraelAidUSA in the subject field.
David Elazar email@example.com
“We gave them $3 billion, they have to use 75 percent of it to buy our stuff, and then they give us improvements on all the stuff we sell them, plus all the intelligence network,” he said. “The prepositioning of our supplies in Israeli territory, the safe port for U.S. troops in time of war and peace, and many many other ways. Such a bargain.” (Rep. Steven R. Rothman, a New Jersey Democrat who serves on the appropriation subcommittees that fund foreign aid and defense budgets)
The Hill August 17, 2012
In the long run this monetary “aid” becomes an investment in Israeli technology which in turn benefits the defense of the USA.
Commentary December 2011
JINSA Report #: 1,067 March 3, 2011 A "quick reference guide" to the capabilities Israel brings to U.S.-Israel security cooperation.
This article reviews Israel's value as an American ally since 1967. It highlights the actions taken by Israel on behalf of the United States, including accommodating U.S. national interests at the expense of Israeli interests. The article explores the myth of Holocaust guilt as the primary reason for Israel's creation and contrasts the actions of other regional U.S. allies with those of Israel. The steadily declining tangible support for U.S. policies by American allies in the twenty-first century has served to magnify Israel's importance to the United States. (June 2010)
A statement was signed by 60* of America's most decorated military leaders.
* Israel Aid Pays U.S. Dividends that Exceed Cost: Steve Rothman
The argument that American military aid to Israel is damaging to the U.S. is not only erroneous, it hurts the national security interests of this country and threatens the survival of Israel…..Israel will receive $3 billion, in military aid only. There is no economic aid to Israel, other than loan guarantees that continue to be repaid in full and on time.…. the critically important return the U.S. gets for helping its oldest, most trusted ally in the strategically important Middle East -- the most powerful military force in that region, the pro-U.S., pro-West and democratic Jewish state of Israel.... (April 2010)
* Understanding the U.S.-Israel Alliance: An Israeli Response to the Walt-Mearsheimer Claim by Dore Gold General George F. Keegan, a retired U.S. Air Force intelligence chief, disclosed in 1986 that he could not have obtained the same intelligence that he received from Israel if he had "five CIAs." During his interview, at which time the Cold War was still raging, he added: "The ability of the U.S. Air Force in particular, and the Army in general, to defend whatever position it has in NATO owes more to the Israeli intelligence input than it does to any single source of intelligence. Sept 2007"
* Searching for a vaccine for rheumatoid arthritis By Karin Kloosterman May 10, 2009
In America today, an estimated 1.3 million people suffer from the paralyzing pain of rheumatoid arthritis, and they are badly in need of relief and a cure. Help could be on the way, thanks to ProtAb (pronounced Pro-tab), an Israeli company that is developing a new antibody treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, a debilitating autoimmune disease.
* Two-way independence: In many ways, Israel is the giver and the U.S. is the receiver By Yoram Ettinger "...Israel is the largest American aircraft carrier...saved the U.S. billions of dollars...F-16-responsible for 600 improvements...upgraded Hawkeye spy plane and the MD-500 chopper...bombed the Iraqi nuclear reactor...innovative Israeli technologies effect on civilian and agricultural industries... 05 Dec 2005
* MIGs to Nevada "Area 51 was used to train Navy and Air Force fighter pilots to fight USSR MiGs. Israel captured many MiGs in 1967, and they gave us a bunch of them. led directly to the F-4 'Phantom' turning around it's losses in Vietnam to a 14 to 1 kill ratio. They found the MiG's weaknesses and exploited them.
* Passenger aircraft - anti-missile interception and detection system. Israeli company to complete development of aoperational system, the Passive Approach Warning System (PAWS), for detecting and disabling missiles fired against passenger aircraft.
* Light concrete-piercing bomb two US companies to jointly produce a revolutionary light-weight bomb capable of penetrating several meters of concrete. The bomb was developed in Israel. (14 Nov 2002)
* Super-chip system is global hit Motorola (NYSE:MOT) recently presented its third generation processors of this type, the PowerQUICC III series,developed in Israel. (12 Nov 2002)
* Instant messaging program ICQ developed in Israel, brought about a breakthrough in US military communications, and made US forces inAfghanistan many times more efficient, (03 Nov 2002)
* Aridic Soils of the United States and Israel This website is the result of a demonstration project funded by the International Arid Lands Consortium to design and create a WWW site for information on soils of arid regions of the U.S. and Israel. It was designed to provide information to assist those who would manage their impact on the soils of arid regions for sustainability.
* Bekaa Valley War June 1982, Israeli ground forces pushed into Lebanon in an effort to putan end to cross-border terror attacks. [Israeli developed] RPVs went in first to get the Syrian SAMs to turn on their radars. Then the F-4s destroyed them with high-speed anti-radiation missiles critical turning point in the deadly duel of fighters and SAMs operation threw military men (in Moscow) into a kind of shock" made the Soviets understand that Western technology was superior to theirs, and in this Czech general's view,the blow to the Bekaa Valley SAMs was part of the cascade of events leading to the collapse of the Soviet Union. (June 2002)
* Litening II-pluspods United States has deployed an Israeli-manufactured airborne targeting pod in the war in Afghanistan installed on the F-16 multi-role fighters laser spot capability that an American rival does not possess. (January 2002)
* Israel signs satellite research accord with NASA … The main intention is to expand the exchange of information and provide inspiration for the next generation of researchers, scientists and engineers. …. The Americans are most interested in the technology for producing lightweight satellites that can be launched from planes, as well as hyperspectral sensors and satellite antennas for analyzing photographs via radar. …. The minister and Kaplan also met with Dr. Ralph Cicerone, head of the American Academy of Sciences, and Dr. Cora Marrett, director of the US National Science Foundation, to discuss the expansion of cooperation between Israel and the US on the federal level. (August 2010)
* ARROW ANTI-MISSILE MISSILE. IT IS A JOINT PROJECT -- WHERE THE UNITED STATES
PROVIDES MOST OF THE MONEY, THE ISRAELIS -- MOST OF THE HIGH-TECH EXPERTISE.
ISRAEL IS SHARING RESEARCH LESSONS WITH THE UNITED STATES