This is an in-class partner project with a partner write-up. The goal of this project is to help experience and reinforce concepts of buoancy and density while continuing to practice the scientific method. In this project, your group will be given materials to build the boat and together you will decide how to utilize the materials for construction. The question we will be attempting to answer is: What boat design will float the most cargo.
- To design and build a boat with the greatest buoyant force.
- To design and conduct an experiment using the scientific method.
- Use our knowledge of mass, volume, density, and buoyant force to build the best boat.
- Use technology to enhance the project.
- Create a digital product (Podcast, PPT, Comic).
Which boat design has the greatest buoyant force?
Which boat design is the most efficient?
- Develop a Project Proposal.
Construction of Boat
Perform the Experiment.
- Testable Question
- Define Variables
Begin Digital Product.
- Complete Class Data Table
Process Data and Create Graphs.
Finish Digital Product.
- Experiment Details
- Materials and Procedures
Create Project Podcast.
- Data Analysis
Digital Product 300 pts
Construction/Performance 50 pts
Total 350 pts
- Measure the mass of the boat with a scale.
- Fill a large container with water.
- Place the boat in the container filled with water.
- Place the pennies (weights) inside the boat until it sinks.
- Measure the mass of the pennies with a scale.
- Add the mass of the boat to the mass of the pennies. This is the Buoyant Force of your boat.
- Calculate the Boat Efficiency using the formula :
Weight the boat held (g)/Weight of the boat (g) = Boat Efficiency