Smita comes from a small town near Mumbai, she has done her B.Sc (Biotechnology) from Jai Hind College, and M.Sc (Biotechnology) from Ramnarain Ruia College, Mumbai. She has worked as Assistant Professor at Ismail Yusuf College, Jogeshwari teaching B.Sc Biotechnology students for a year. After that she worked for 8 months as a JRF on a project at NIRRH, Parel before joining here as a Ph.D student in January 2014. Apart from reading research papers she also likes reading fictions, listening to music, photography and travelling.
Scholarships: UGC-JRF qualified in June 2013, GATE (Biotechnology) in 2011 and 2013.
Research Interest: Stem cell differentiation for tissue engineering.
1. Singh, R*; Patil, S*; Singh, .; Gupta, S, "Dual functionality nanobioconjugates targeting intracellular bacteria in cancer cells with enhanced antimicrobial activity." (*Equal Author)
Scientific Reports 2017, 7 (1), 5792. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-06014-4.
2. Patil S; Singh N. "Spatially controlled functional group grafting of silk films to induce osteogenic and chondreogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells" Material Science and Engineering C, 2018, 91, 796-805
3. Deshpande S, Patil S, and Singh N. “Enhancing gene knockdown efficiency of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) nanogels”. ACS Omega Vol. 3 (7), pp. 8042-8049, 2018
4. Patil S, Singh N. “Antibacterial silk fibroin scaffolds with green synthesized silver nanoparticles for osteoblast proliferation and human mesenchymal stem cell differentiation” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces Vol. 176, 1 April 2019, pp 150-155
5. Kumar S.; Gaur N.; Patil S.; Singh N.; Kumar D. "Bio-evaluation of Al2O3 based ceramic coatings on AZ91 alloy." (Manuscript under Review)
1. Dhyani V, Patil S, Singh N. “Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine” Poster at Open House , at Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, 18th April,2015.
2. Patil S, Singh N. “Effect of Functional Group Grafting of Silk Films on Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation” Poster at International Conference on Biomaterials, Biodiagnostics, Tissue Engineering, Drug Delivery and Regenerative Medicine, IIT Delhi, 15th-17th April 2016.
3. Patil S, Singh N. “Effect of Functional Group Grafting of Silk Films on Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation.” Poster at International Conference on Advances in Biological Systems and Materials Science in Nanoworld, IIT BHU, Banaras, 19th -23rd Feb 2017.
4. Singh R, Patil S, Singh N, Gupta S. "Peptide-functionalized Gold Nanoparticles with Enhanced Antibacterial Activity and Target Specificity for Free Internalised Bacteria". Second Prize for Oral presentation at International Conference on Advances in Biological Systems and Materials Science in Nanoworld, IIT BHU, Banaras, 19th -23rd Feb 2017.
5. Patil S, Dhyani, V, Singh, N. “Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine” Poster at Open House , at Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, 22nd April,2017.
6. Patil S, Singh N. "Differentiation of human Mesenchymal Stem Cells via Functional Group Grafting" Poster at “Stem Cell Biology Meeting of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory” at CSH, New York, USA 25th to 29th September 2017.
7. Patil S, Singh N. “Dual lineage differentiation of stem cells via silk based scaffold for osteochondral tissue engineering.” Poster at 10th International Behr-Symposium on Stem Cells and Cancer at Heidelberg, Germany, 16th September to 19th September 2018.
8. Patil S, Singh N. “Spatially controlled differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells.” Poster at 6th Annual German Stem Cell Network Conference at Heidelberg, Germany, 19th September to 21st September 2018.
9. Patil S, Singh N. “Spatially controlled differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells.” Poster at NANOBIOTECK 2018, 3rd Annual Conference of Indian Society of Nanomedicine at AIIMS, New Delhi, India, 25th to 27th October 2018