United States History
Phone: (310) 898-6340
Welcome to U.S. History. I hope you find this course interesting and relevant. We are living in challenging times, and one of the main goals of this class is to discover how the dilemmas and decisions of the past, and present will help us navigate our future. We will be spending time searching for answers to questions such as these:
Are we indeed learning from history, or just repeating our mistakes?
Are we a nation, or a union of states?
What do we really mean by that phrase in the Declaration of Independence, “all men are created equal”?
What is the role of the U.S. in the world today, and who decides?
What impact do you want to have on our world in your future?
Expected Schoolwide Learning Results
Cesar Chavez/Harriet Tubman High School
Cesar Chavez/Harriet Tubman High Schools will prepare students to be:
Critical thinkers and learners who:
- demonstrate competent, standards-based literacy skills
- use critical and analytical thinking skills effectively in listening, speaking, reading and writing
- use available resources and materials, including various technological and artistic tools, to create a product
- improve grade level reading, writing and math competence through participation in academic intervention programs
Effective communicators who:
- read and write with organization, focus and coherence as demonstrated through class work, assessments and use of technology
- speak with a command of Standard English conventions
- use a variety of methods - written, oral, technological, performance - to express ideas and information
Responsible citizens who:
- demonstrate the skills needed to work in diverse groups and display appropriate conduct
- make positive choices and follow all school rules and guidelines
- cooperate and show respect, empathy and tolerance of individual differences
Self-directed lifelong learners who:
- acquire skills needed to meet personal, academic and vocational goals
- develop necessary skills to pursue and accomplish short- and long-term goals
- contribute to the local and global community through service, work-experience and volunteerism