Disaster Relief Rapid Response Resource Sheet Version 3.1
*Relates to efforts after the Sunday May 22nd 2011 tornado devastation of North Minneapolis.
On this page you will find helpful links related to receiving assistance or donations. For updates, visit our Facebook page. http://facebook.com/mplstornado
*Disclaimer: This page does not represent or/and is not part of any emergency or law enforcement agency or organization. It is a 100% charitable cause initiative created by a joe nobody ;) and is people driven. Thank you! For immediate attention and emergencies, dial 911 to get to your local law enforcement and emergency responders
PRINTABLE COMPRESSED VERSION: CLICK HERE ....... WHEN IT OPENS, FILE- PRINT
Feel free to click in the map below and toggle around to locate resources :)
TOP PRIORITY: Disaster Recovery Center by city of Minneapolis: A Disaster Recovery Center is opening in north Minneapolis Wednesday, May 25 to provide services and resources to residents affected by Sunday’s tornado. The center will be open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Farview ( not Fairview) Recreation Center at 621 29th Ave. N. ( off N. lyndale btw 26th and 29th avenue ). More info on this is below in the special events section. They will have food, hygiene materials, medical treatment, more. This should be your firstoption in seeking relief. Remember, hrs are only from 9am to 7pm so you would have to seek shelter elsewhere and we have locations listed below. Remember, full details are towards the bottom of this sheet
SHELTER AND OTHER HELP
1. NorthEast Armory1025 Broadway St NE. This shelter is where the city of Minneapolis and Red Cross are sending families while they make plans to set up a family assistance center. They also have extra-curricular activities and entertainment such as tvs, movies, e.t.c. Tel 651 268 8537
2. Salvation Army Per Annete Bauer, PR Director, " The Salvation Army Worship and Service Center will be providing assistance with clothing, food and basic necessities beginning today ( Mon May 23rd) at 9 a.m. at 2024 Lyndale AVE N, Minneapolis.
3. The Prayer Center. 821 1/2 West Broadway Minneapolis, MN 55411. Will have food assistance. Contact Jariland Spence. 612-522-3015 firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Shiloh Temple are offering shelter for women with children ( A partnering church will house men). Shiloh is located on Broadway and N. Fremont. Contact # is 612 302 1463.
QUICK FOOD/HOT MEALS ( update for Fri May 27th)
1. Saturday May 28th only: He Is Risen Church on 16th & Russell will be having a free lunch open to everyone on Saturday at 12pm! begins at noon. 1530 Russell Ave. North, Minneapolis, MN, 55411.
2. Christ English Lutheran Church 3210 Oliver Ave N. Minneapolis, MN 55411, 612-521-3493 (Corner of Oliver and Lowry). Will serve a hot meal every night this week at 6:30
3. The Sanctuary Covenant Church 1201 37th ave N. 612.692.6575 Will be serving meals on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week at the Sanctuary Offices. Lunch (11 am - 2 pm) and dinner (3:30 - 7:00pm).
4. Shiloh Temple (Broadway & Freemont) Serve lunch to ALL daily. They also are having a special BBQ / Tail Gate Party on Memorial Day , Monday May 30th from 11-5pm; free food will be served. Al Franken is going to be making an appearance on Sunday May 29th
5. Calvary Church- 2827 Newton Avenue: Please call to verify. (612) 521-8777. They've been serving Noon-3pm and 5pm to 7pm
6. The Prayer Center- 821½ W Broadway Ave., 612-522-3015, Call First
7. Northpoint Health and Wellness center- 1315 Penn Ave N, 612-543-2500, 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m
8. Salvation Army - 2024 Lyndale Ave N, 612-522-6581, 8 a.m.- Noon and 1pm to 4pm
9. Salvation Army Mobile Truck – 2202 W Broadway Ave
10. River of Life Lutheran Church 2200 Freemont Av N, Monday-Friday 5:30-6:30 612-521-7655
11. Trinity Tabernacle Church- FRIDAY- Greater Lakes Food Bank (Food for Life) and we will be distributing Food at Trinity Tabernacle Church at 2314 Plymouth Avenue N. The food will be distributed to those affected by the N Msp tornado at 11:00 a.m. on Friday 5-27-11.
12. Disaster Recovery Center @ Farview Park ( Lyndale and 29th) should have some form of meal served daily
MORE LISTINGS BELOW
FOOD SHELVES, CLOTHES, AND OTHER ITEMS ( please note that these same areas that accept donated foods also provide for the families in need):
1. Salvation Army. Salvation Army. Non-perishable food, hygiene items and diapers will be accepted at 2024 Lyndale Ave N. Minneapolis, MN. Used clothing and furniture donations are being accepted at the Salvation Army Donation Center at 900 N 4th ST in Minneapolis or at other Salvation Army thrift stores. Large quantity donations should first call 651-746-3400 as storage at 2024 Lyndale is limited ( PS we hear that the Lyndale facility needs Mens and women's items)
2. FM 89.9 KMOJ. 89.9 KMOJ Radio, in partnership with The Ackerberg Group and Catlyst Community Partners, will be opening up the Lower Level of our On-Air Studios in the 5 Points Building at the Intersection of W. Broadway Ave and Penn Ave. N. and accepting donations of non-perishable food items, clothing, bottled water, and any other items that you may be able to contribute. 612-377-3456 for more info.
3. The Prayer Center. 821 1/2 West Broadway Minneapolis, MN 55411. Contact Jariland Spence. 612-522-3015 email@example.com
4.North Point Health and Wellness Center inc Donations of Food: Food, hygiene and paper good donations can be dropped off at the food shelf. All
donations are weighed with a receipt issued. Food donations can also be picked up—simply call to make arrangements. 1315 Penn Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Tel 612 767 9175
5. Shiloh Temple- Shiloh is located on Broadway and N. Fremont. Contact # is 612 302 1463. Catering to mainly women with children
1315 Penn Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Tel 612 767 9175 ( Northpoint are also providing food and accessories assistance )North Point Health and Wellness Center inc
FRESHEN UP AND SHOWER FACILITIES
1.YMCA 1711 W. Broadway Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55404 ( North Minneapolis) The North Community YMCA will be open from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm for community members to shower. We will provide towels as well. Dawn Williams with Emerge has coordinated a dedicated staffer and two drivers with vans that can pick persons up at their home or current location and transport people to showers, and back to their pick up locations. The staffer at Emerge coordinating this is Nick who can be reached at 612-363-3993. Callers can call him directly to coordinate rides. Please have them provide the following: Name, requested time of pick up, and pick up address. Dawn can be reached directly at 612-363-5990 with any questions.2.YMCA 3335 Blaisdell Ave. S. Minneapolis, MN 55408. ( South Minneapolis Location). Contact is Josh Heffelfinger . 612 827 5401. The facility hours are m-f 5:30am-10:00pm. Sat-sun 7am-8pm. Towels will be available, but only basic soap is in the locker room. No hair products are available. Please have people check in at the front desk, and state they need t shower because of the tornado. Staff will direct them to the locker rooms. Dawn Williams with Emerge has coordinated a dedicated staffer and two drivers with vans that can pick persons up at their home or current location and transport people to showers, and back to their pick up locations. The staffer at Emerge coordinating this is Nick who can be reached at 612-363-3993. Callers can call him directly to coordinate rides. Please have them provide the following: Name, requested time of pick up, and pick up address. Dawn can be reached directly at 612-363-5990 with any questions.YMCA , 1711 West Broadway
1.Getting to the Disaster Recovery Center
The center will be located inside the Fairview Recreation Center at Lyndale and 29th avenues North. The park is served directly by bus route 22B, and routes 5M and 5L stop within a few blocks. Currently, all three of these routes are operating. For bus information visit www.metrotransit.org or call (612) 673-3333.On Wednesday, free bus transportation will also be provided for folks who want to go to the Disaster Recovery Center from five locations:
-Northeast Armory at 1025 Broadway St. NE
-NorthPoint Health and Wellness at 1315 Penn Ave. N.
-Cub Foods at 701 W. Broadway
-Penn and Lowry avenues
-Drake Hotel in Downtown
2.Getting to The Armory
Free Shuttle Services by Emerge picking up 2123 W. Broadway Ave N & Minneapolis 4th Precinct Police Department and dropping off at NE Armory.Check here for Metro Transit bus detours in North Minneapolis due to the road blocks and debris following the storm. Routes 5F, 7, 14DGL, 19 and 22 in north Minneapolis are being detoured due to tornado damage. Call 612-373-3333 to speak to a Metro Transit representative on detours.
3.Emerge Transport Services
Dawn Williams with Emerge has coordinated a dedicated staffer and two drivers with vans that can pick persons up at their home or current location and transport people to showers, and back to their pick up locations. The staffer at Emerge coordinating this is Nick who can be reached at 612-363-3993. Callers can call him directly to coordinate rides. Please have them provide the following: Name, requested time of pick up, and pick up address. Dawn can be reached directly at 612-363-5990 with any questions.
1. American Red Cross www.redcrossmn.org text redcross. text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation
Contributions may also be sent to your local Red Cross chapter at American Red Cross - Twin Cities Area Chapter, NW 5597, PO Box 1450, Minneapolis, MN 55485. Any donation, large or small, will help. For example, $3 can provide a comfort kit for someone in a disaster. $6 can cover the cost of a blanket, $10 the cost of a hot meal.
2. Salvation Army. Financial donations can be made online at www.thesalarmy.org or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY or mailing a check to The Salvation Army 2445 Prior AVE, Roseville MN 55113. In addition at $10 donation can be made by texting "blessing" to 85944, the charge will be added to your cell phone bill. Make sure to reply "yes" to confirm your donation.
3. Minneapolis Foundation: The Minneapolis Foundation has established the Minnesota Helps - North Minneapolis Recovery Fund to assist with both short-term and long-term housing and recovery-related needs on the North Side. To make a donation by credit card, visit giveMn or send checks for the recovery effort to The Minneapolis Foundation, 80 S. 8th St., Suite 800, Minneapolis, MN, 55402.
4. Urban Homeworks People can also donate monetarily via the Urban Homeworks website and designate it for “tornado relief”
5. North Point Health and Wellness Center Inc One hundred percent of cash donations are used to purchase food items at cooperative prices from local food banks. Simply mail a check to North Point Food Shelf, 1315 Penn Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Donations by credit card can be made online at www.northpointhealth.org.
6. Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity. Financial donations can be made online at www.tchabitat.org or by calling 612-331-4090 to help restore and rebuild north Minneapolis.
1. The tornado disaster recovery center at Farview Park needs volunteers Fri May 27th thru Tue May31st. Adult volunteers- groups & individuals- are needed as greeters, to assist with supply distribution and more. In addition, they welcome groups of teens (with supervision!) to assist with a community event on Sat. Shifts are available:
Sat, Sun & Mon 8:30am-1 or 12:30pm-5.
Mon 11am-3:30pm and 3pm-9pm.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org & include your phone number so they can connect with you regarding the details. You can also use this form to register your name and hours you'd like to volunteer.
2. Cross Connections, 1823 Emerson Ave N. Shifttel : (612) 529-6542.
3. Northpoint Health and Wellness Center. The food shelf and other areas of NorthPoint are always in need of volunteers. We have opportunities for individuals, families and groups—for one-time events or projects and on a long-term basis. 1315 Penn Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Tel 612 767 9175
4. Salvation Army needs help loading and unloading donated items that have come in for tornado victims. Wednesday, May 25. 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. Normandale Tech Center, 6443 Cecilia Cir, Bloomington.
5. Urban Homeworks/Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity 1823 Emerson Ave
*Individuals: Plz call first Shift tel : (612) 529-6542.
*Northside Residents-If you are northside resident, please go to 1823 Emerson Ave for morning (9 -1), afternoon (1-5pm) or all-day shifts.
*Groups: Registration for your group is required to volunteer. DO NOT have your group members call 311 (or 612-673-3000 if you’re outside Mpls) .
Group Leader call 311
a. Your name
b. Your phone number
c. What group you represent
d. How many volunteers are you expecting
e. What time you would like to bring your group
They will schedule your group in a volunteer slot. Time slots are from 9AM – 1PM and 1PM and 5PM. Your group may also come for the entire timeframe. Urbanworks are only taking 18yrs & up due to harzards at the work sites. For detailed info please visit their site http://urbanhomeworks.org or fb group http://facebook.com/urbanhomeworks http://tchabitat.org
6. Saturday May 26th volunteer opportunity with u of m going door to door giving resource sheets and food
CELL PHONE CHARGING AND INTERNET ACCESS
1. Emerge Community Development 1101 West Broadway Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55411 (Emerson/Broadway- 2nd Floor) 612.529.9267 . Contact is Paul .Hours: 9:00am- 5:00pm. Will have additional computers set up in conference room (with staff/volunteers available to assist) through Fri of this wk (will post updates on avl next week
2. North Minneapolis residents without power, you can charge your cell phones, make phone calls, and use some comps for internet access at the University of Minnesota's Urban Research and Outreach/Engagement Center (UROC ) , 2001 Plymouth Ave North ( On Plymouth and Penn). Contact number is 612-626-UROC (8762). You can use facilities between 8am and 5pm cst. More venues to be posted as we receive info
3. University of Minnesota Physicians :
SPECIAL EVENTS/ONE TIME EVENTS
1. Disaster Recovery Center opens Wednesday May 25th to serve residents affected by tornado
3. Facebook group:
*Click here for Minneapolis Police response plan and checkpoint locations.
For any queries, email email@example.com