John Rants, Director of Bands
Mr. Rants is a 21 year music educator veteran, this being his 11th year leading the Marysville-Pilchuck High School Bands. Currently Mr. Rants is the 6-12 Marysville School District Music Coordinator, in addition he is the director MP's concert bands, jazz ensembles, percussion ensemble, choir, guitar and the director of the Marysville Alliance. Prior to Marysville, Mr. Rants taught the band program at Lakewood High School. In 2010, Mr. Rants was named the Seattle Symphony's Music Educator of the Year, an honor which has only been bestowed twice. Mr. Rants is a Past-President of the Mount Pilchuck Music Educators Association, where he has served the on the board for 8 years, 3 years of which he was the President of the region. Mr. Rants holds a Master's in Education Technology from City University, Bachelor's of Music from Western Washington University and an Associates of Arts degree from Whatcom Community College.
During his years in college, Mr. Rants managed Brown's Music in Bellingham and was a professional sound and recording engineer, working with such artists as: Robert Cray, Jackson Browne, The Gatlin Brothers, Dione Warwick, The Kingston Trio, Glenn Yarbourgh, and The Coats. working Mr. Rants is also a verteran of the US armed forces as he had served in the US Navy and Naval Reserves as an aviation electronics technician. His military training enabled him to become a factory authorized repair technician for Marshall Amplifiers, Peavey Electronics, and Yamaha Electronics. The majority of music education training came from his father, Wally Rants, who taught in the Highline School District as a high school music educator for over 31 years and was inducted into the Washington State Music Educators Hall of Fame.
- Show Design, Drill Design, Visual, Colorguard. Kat is an elementary teacher teacher at Tulalip/Quil Ceda Elementary School. In 2013, Kat participated in the Rhapsody Winterguard. She is has her bachelor's degree from Central Washington University, where at the time she was on the marching staff of Yakima high schools and participated in the Crimson Winterguard.
Jordan Alexandar - Music / Visual. Jordan was very active in the Marching Band, Jazz Ensemble and Wind Ensemble when he attended MP. Jordan also served as the Band Council President his senior year. After graduation, Jordan attended Central Washington University where he studied Jazz from Chris Bruya and trumpet from John Harbaugh.
Josh Bingham - Music / Visual. Josh first came to Marysville-Pilchuck from Cascade High School, where he marched under the direction of Jim Johnson. During his time with Cascade and MP, Josh also was part of the Seattle Cascades Drum Corps. After graduation from High School, Josh graduated from MP in 2007, when he enlisted in the US Air Force, which he was recently separated from active duty and is currently in the Air Force Reserves.
Tim Jefferson - Percussion. Tim spent years marching in the Drum Corps, as well as playing with the Seattle Soundwave and was on the staff for both Cascade High School Marching Band and the Northern Sound Drum Corps. Tim is currently a board member of the Washington State Percussive Arts Society.
Krislyn Odviar- Percussion Assistant. Krislynn returns to MPBands. Krislynn was a very active member in the MP Marching band from 2005-2008. She was center snare and drum captain. After graduation she continued to play snare drum and participated in the Western Washington University Pep Band and Drumline. She is currently attending UW Bothell.
Sally Ha - Percussion Assistant. Sally returns to MPBands. Sally was a very active member in the MP Marching band from 2009-2012, playing snare and concert percussion. After graduation she continued her music playing for the Washington State University Marching Band and Drumline. She toured with the Cascades Drum Corp during the 2013 season playing in the front ensemble.
New to the 2015 Marching Alliance Percussion Staff is Justice Napeahi. Justice is a former MP drumline alum and has spent many years touring with August Burn Red, as well as playing percussion in his own band.
2015/2016 Student Leadership
- Logan Plant, President
- Bethany Nelson, Vice President
- Maggie Novy, Treasurer
- Kati Strough, Secretary
- Marshall Smelser IV, Historian
2014/2015 Student Leadership
- Bree Narag, President
- Wyatt Langstraat, Vice President
- Emily Ferguson, Treasurer
- Mackenzi Champman, Secretary
- Jenny Baxter Historian
- Lynette Malavolti, Drum Major
- Cameron Yund, Assistant Drum Major
- Kia Patrick, Drumline Sectionleader
- Nicole Maas , Colorguard Captain
- Mackenzie Chapman, Flute Sectionleader
- Emily Ferguson, Clarinet Sectionleader
- Jacob Bansburg, Alto Sax Sectionleader
- Bethany Nelson, Tenor Sax Sectionleader
- Jenny Baxter, Mello Sectionleader
- Logan Plant, Trumpet Sectionleader
- Wyatt Langstraat, Trombone Sectionleader
- Gavin Shepherd , Low Winds Sectionleader
- Ben Crawford, Woodwind Captain
- Juan Bradford, Brass Captain
- Evan Reese, Battery Captain