This imposing Neoclassical Greek Revival house was built in 1905, in the early years of the booming development of Capitol Hill. It was designed by architects Kingsley and Anderson (permit #28034) for Andrew Weber, president of Seattle Net & Twine Manufacturing Company—an important industry in a seaport city like Seattle. Weber also owned his own firm, an export and import brokerage. It is not known how long Weber lived here.
But - shortly after the Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart opened its doors in Seattle on September 3, 1907 and the house became a birth place for this now famous Catholic private School for the girls, the Religious welcomed their first 29 pupils.
Later it was purchased in 1965 by Harry Majors, a professor at Seattle University, and the Majors family owned it until 2001.
This is one of the original Capitol Hill plots of James A. Moore, who gave the area its name. In 1900 Moore, who had already developed other Seattle neighborhoods, purchased and began plotting 160 acres, roughly between 11th and 20th avenues, from Roy Street north to Galer Street.
Before selling lots for construction, he graded and paved the streets (eliminating the dust that plagued many sections), installed sidewalks, water mains and sewer lines, and planned for street lights and telephone poles. Lots went on sale in 1901, heavily promoted to attract local business leaders as residents. This was the first part of Seattle developed in this way. Moore did not build houses for sale, but sold improved lots to builders or to people who then hired a builder to construct a home to their own taste. Covenants required that homes cost at least $3,000 to build and be at least 24 feet from the sidewalk. The 800 lots sold quickly to company owners, managers, executives, bankers, doctors, and attorneys. The lots grew in value by 300% over the next 12 years.
This large house has a side-gabled roof and clapboard cladding. The primary feature is the two-story flat-roofed portico with a pair of Corinthian columns. Two single-story columns flank the entry, which has a wood-and-glass door with sidelights. Both the house and the portico have wide flat eaves with carved brackets. Three pedimented dormers are in the roof on the main facade.The house has been altered with newer windows and wrought iron balustrades replacing the original turned balustrades.