The officers and members of Moses A. Baldwin Camp #544 are pledged to fulfill the Purpose and Objects of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War as stated in Article II of the National Constitution of the Order as follows:
"To perpetuate the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the men who saved the Union 1861 to 1865; to assist in every practicable way in the preservation and making available for research of documents and records pertaining to the Grand Army of the Republic and its members; to cooperate in doing honor to all who have patriotically served our country in any war; to teach patriotism, and the duties of citizenship, the true history of our country, and the love and honor of our Flag; to oppose every tendency or movement that would weaken loyalty to, or make for the destruction or impairment of our constitutional Union; and to inculcate and broadly sustain the American principles of representative government, of equal rights, and of impartial justice for all."
In furtherance of this, the Camp states, in Article III of its Bylaws, that it will carry out the following Activities:
Section 1. Sponsor and participate in ceremonies and programs which educate the public about the Civil War thus perpetuating the memory of the G. A. R.
Section 2. Maintain and preserve monuments and plaques related to the Civil War.
Section 3. Identify graves of Civil War Veterans. Decorate them on Memorial Day.
Section 4. Support and recognize members of the ROTC, the JROTC, and the Boy Scouts of America by awarding Eagle Scout Commendation Certificates or an appropriate award authorized by the SUVCW.
Section 5. Sponsor and attend events and ceremonies which teach patriotism, the duties of citizenship, and the true history of our country or which honor the Flag or those who have served the United States in any war.
Section 6. Conduct an annual holiday party to raise funds for the activities above.
Section 7. Seek funds/grants from outside this order whether public or private to lawfully support the above subsections 1-5 of this Article.
Camp #544 Charter
About Moses A. Baldwin
Moses A. Baldwin enlisted in Co. H, 119th New York Volunteers in August of 1862. He was mustered in as a private, promoted to sergeant and commissioned second lieutenant on June 29, 1863 He was transferred to Company K and promoted to first lieutenant on August 28, 1863.
Baldwin was wounded in action on May 8, 1864 at Rocky Face Ridge, Georgia. He was then transferred to Company A in March of 1865 and was discharged later that month. Moses A. Baldwin died on January 11, 1877 as a result of injuries that he sustained in the discharge of his duties as a supervisor of the night watchmen at Washington Market in New York City. A Grand Army of the Republic post was chartered on March 11, 1885 and was named the Moses A. Baldwin Post as a fitting memorial to this well loved member of the 119th N.Y. Vols. The post was designated New York State post #544.
Moses A. Baldwin is buried in the Town of Hempstead's Greenfield Cemetary in Uniondale, NY in the shadow of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, surrounded by the graves of the many other Civil War Veterans whose names can be found on this site's Graves Page.
The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Department of New York authorized the formation of the Moses A. Baldwin Camp in April of 2001. The camp primarily, but not exclusively, serves the area of Nassau County, NY. The camp has taken the same name as the original GAR post that once met in the same building where the new SUVCW camp now meets.
Commander Don McMahon firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary Dennis Duffy email@example.com
Installation of Officers and Passing of the Charter to the new Commander, December 11, 2005. From left to right:
John Shaud; Kent Howell, PCC; Dale Theetge, Commander, Department of New York; Phillip Schlesier, incoming Commander; George Weinman, Commander, Oliver Tilden Camp #26; Joe Hervan, Secretary-Treasurer; Mike Bennett; Joe Krattinger; Art Findlay, outgoing Commander.
Certificate of Recognition presented to the camp by the Town of Hempstead