Just Notes...

g1. Charles Wells ????-1782 (wife of Charles Wells, a Carty)
Stafford Co., VA

g2 Capt. Samuel Wells, Sr. 1734-1781

g2 Haden Wells

g2 Charles Wells (?) 1765 - Surety for marriage of brother Charles to Mary Wells, widow

g2 William Wells 1784 - Jefferson Co., Ky. Samuel's orphan brother, William, carried off by Indians from the home of Nathaniel Pope.

Capt. Samuel Wells, Sr. (Wife of Capt. Samuel Wells, Sr. a Haden. He was killed by an Indian in the 1778 Boonsboro, Ky Massacre)

#1) Elizabeth Tover - VA.
#2) Anne ?

g3 Carty Wells 1750-1812 m. Margaret Peggy Bush

g3 Col. Samuel Wells, Jr. 1754-1830 m: Mary Spears

g3 (? Wells) m: Jonathan Whitaker (?)

g3 Mary Wells 1764- m: Philip Lutes

g3 Capt. Yelverton Peyton Wells 1769-1794 M: Rebecca Prince 8-18-1794

g3 Margaret Wells 1765-1770 m: Jas Hardin

g3 William Wells 1770-1812

g3 Charles Wells

g3 Elizabeth "Betsy" Wells bef. 1779-1826

{The known children of Capt. Samuel Wells were, Carty, Haden, Samuel, Yelverton, Payton, Elizabeth and William} (?)

Col. Samuel Wells, Jr. Jefferson County marriage records reveal that he married December 30, 1781, Mary Spears and that the bondsman was Moses Spears.
The Louisville Courier of October 15, 1812, carried the following item: "Mrs. Mary, consort of Col. Samuel Wells, of the 17th U. S. Army, died in Louisville October 10, 1812." Colonel Wells died November 20, 1835, probably at St. Louis.
Other sources give the date of his date as 1830. [Note: from Orin Wells - his tombstone carries 1830] Col. Samuel Wells, Jr. died in St. Charles County, MO on July 25, 1830.

The latest research shows the following children for Gen. (Col.) Samuel Wells, Jr.

#1) Mary Spears:

g4 Margaret Wells Cir 1783 - 1820 m: Jacob Geiger
g4 Mary Elizabeth "Polly" Wells Cir 1785 - 1834 m: James H. Audrain *see below*
g4 Samuel Wells Cir 1788 - Cir 1863 m: 1813 - Mary Kearney 1788-1833 (Had at least one daughter, Mary Spears Wells)
g4 Rebeckah Wells 1790 - 1857 m: 1811 - Nathan Heald 1755-1832
g4 Levi Wells Cir 1792 - 1813 Ensign, Killed at River Raisin
g4 George W. Wells Cir 1794 - cir 1835 m: Mariah Blackwell
g4 Ann Farrar Wells 1799 - 1845 m: John Ruland

#2) Margaret A. Audrain Hoffman:

g4 James H. A. Wells Cir 1814 - bef. 1834
g4 Peter A. Wells Cir 1816 - 8135
g4 Fanny B. Wells Cir 1820 - Cir 1839 m: Richmond J. Curie
g4 David Barton Wells Cir 1822 - 1888 m: Mary J. Eans
g4 Caroline Z. Wells Cir 1825 - 1835
g4 Charles Harrison H. Wells Cir 1829 - 1851 m: Mary Frances Farmer

** Mary Wells m. Capt. James H. Audrain of Peter Audrain - Ft. Wayne, 1816 to Mo, St. Charles Co.
g5 Audrain Children:
* Samuel W.
* Peter G.
* Margaret.
* Benjamin O.
* Anne A.
* Fra B.
* Thomas B.
* Mary F. 1816
Carty Wells died in Shelby Co., Ky. in 1812. Capt. Samuel Wells, Sr.s' son, Carty, married Peggy (Margaret) Bush, of Culpepper Co., VA. They were the parents of seven children, five daughters and two sons:
Haden, born August 8, 1775 and John born July 11, 1780 in Wells Station, what is now Shelby Co., Ky. Haden married Nancy Ford, (April 5, 1804) daughter of Elicha Ford, Veteran of the American Revolution. Haden Wells; [note says "Carty's son"] children were Yelverton, Elisha F., Joshua, Haden, James, Sarah, Mary, John William and Margaret.
John Wells was, for a time, the Representative of Shelby Co. in the Legislature.

The town of Wellsville was laid out by Hon. Carty Wells in the spring or summer of 1856 ... Judge Wells was the original owner of the site, and, having deeded to the railroad company five acres of land for depot and other purposes, the town was located thereon. The town was named for the founder.

The first buildings were put up in the summer or early fall of 1856. Jesse C. Clarkson built the first dwelling, which stood on lot 8, block 2 ... In the spring or summer of 1857 the first post-office was established, the first postmaster being Ben Sharp, who kept the office in his store.

The railroad came in 1861, and soon after the first depot was built. The first station agent was one Bunnsberry ... There was no telegraph office here until 1861, when it was put up by the military authorities, and a young man named York was the first operator ...

The first resident physician was Dr. S. T. Buck, who came in about 1868. The first resident lawyer was Dick Wells, son of Carty Wells, who came soon after the town was established ...


Wellsville (Cont)

The first public school building in Wellsville was built in 1866. It stood on Lot 1, Block 4, of the original town.

Wellsville was incorporated as a town by the county court, March 22, 1873, on petition of Wm. Bacon and others ... (--Montgomery Co., pp. 906, 907, 908, 909, 910.)

It is twelve miles from Danville and ninety miles from St. Louis. Near the town were coal mines ... It had a number of churches, a bank, two newspapers, the "Record," and the "Optic News," two lumber yards, two hotels, and about 50 other business houses, including well stocked stores and various kinds of shops. Population, 1899 (estimated) 1,600. (--Conard, Vol. 6, p. 439; see, also, Campbell, p. 337.)

It is situated on Secs. 26, 27, 28, 33, 34, 35, Twp. 50 N, R 6 W at the junction of 1, AA, Z & CC.

Missouri State Legislators

Missouri, Warren County. Clerk, Record Book, 1833-1846, (C0888)
1 folder(s)

Certificates of marriage, registration of ear marks, and records of stray animals--horses, mules, hogs, etc. The strays were taken before a justice of the peace and appraised. Clerks were Carty Wells, 1833-1837; Joseph B. Wells, 1837-1841; and Eli Carter, 1842-1846.

Courthouse History

Warren County was organized in 1833, but the site for the county seat remained undesignated for three years. In January 1836 county citizens cast their ballots in favor of Warrenton as the county seat. The court called for proposals for the first courthouse in May 1837 and accepted the plans of Solomon Jenkins in February 1838. Jenkins married Jane Wells, whose brother, Carty Wells, Jr., was circuit and county clerk of Warren County.


The Seventh Generation.

664. THOMAS GOOCH HANSBROUGH: (662 Joel) Born April 2, 1813; died February 26, 1886; buried in the old Evergreen Cemetery, Leesburg, Florida; married Mary Thomas Stone on December 23, 1845, She was born September 18, 1818, and died June 11, 1895. Her father, James Stone, was born December 23, 1780; died February 28, 1865. He was the son of Spilsby and Elizabeth (Bland) Stone. Her mother was Margaret (Peggy Wells, daughter of Carty and Peggy (Bush) Wells. She was born December 29, 1782 and died April 27, 1858. Spilsby Stone was the son of Josiah and Mary (Coleman) Stone. Thomas Gooch Hansbrough and his wife, Mary, had four children.

Killing of the Bright Children

October 30, 1849, occurred a most horrible case of outrage and murder in the northwest part of this county. Two children of Mr. Michael Bright, a farmer living in Union township, four miles from Philadelphia, were the victims. They were named Susannah Margaret and Thomas Henry, and were aged respectively twelve and ten years. On the day named the children mounted a horse and rode to the woods to gather nuts, as they had often done before. As they did not return in the evening, their parents became uneasy and made search for them. In this search the neighbors joined and the hunt was kept up all night.

The next morning at about seven o'clock the horse was found still hitched, and near by the body of little Susie Bright, with the throat cut from ear to ear and with evidences that a more terrible crime than murder had been perpetrated on her innocent person. The body of little Tommy Bright was next discovered near Brower's branch, with the skull crushed in two places, evidently by a stone. Near where the mangled body of the little girl lay was found a bloody "Barlow" pocket knife, and this led to the detection and identification of the demon who had done the horrible deed. The locality where the crime was committed was on section 32-59-8. The body of the little girl lay near the branch, about 200 yards south of the ford where the old road from Philadelphia to Newark crossed the Brower's branch; her brother lay seventy-five yards away.

Suspicion at once fell on "Ben", a young negro man, the slave of Thomas Glascock, as the perpetrator of the double crime. He had been at work in the vicinity hauling rock the day of the tragedy, the knife was identified as his, and blood-stains were found on his clothes. He was at once taken into custody. The citizens of the community were greatly incensed, and perhaps but for the intervention and intercession of Stephen Gupton and Esquire Walker the negro would have been burned to death by a mob. He was taken to Palmyra, however, and confined in the county jail, but for several nights thereafter the jail had to be well guarded to prevent the wretch from being taken out and lynched.

At the November term of the circuit court following, "Ben" was indicted and arraigned for trial. All the while he protested his innocence, and how he pleaded "not guilty". Judge Carty Wells was on the bench, and he assigned as the negro's counsel Samuel T. Glover and Col. R. F. Richmond. The prosecution was conducted by A. W. Lamb and Thomas L. Anderson. On the 4th day of December, after a very fair trial, and upon circumstantial evidence alone, "Ben" was convicted of the crime of murder in the first degree and sentenced to be hung January 11, 1850.

On the day of his execution Ben weakened and made a full confession. He said: "The devil tempted me. I saw the children and the girl looked so pretty. I got the boy to go away from her by telling him to come with me and I would show him some nice fish I had caught in the branch. He came along, and when I got him a hundred yards away I got a good chance and hit him in the head with a rock. He fell and never made any noise, only moved a little. I then hit him again with a rock and then he was still. I went back to the girl, and when she asked me where her brother was I told her he was down at the branch fishing. Then I caught her and threw her down. She struggled and tried to scream, but I choked her. Then, for fear that she would tell, I took out my knife and cut her throat. Somehow I dropped my knife, and I was so excited I could not find it and I ran away without it."

The hanging of "Glascock's Ben" was the first legal execution in this county -- and to this day the only one that has ever taken place. A crowd of 5,000 people witnessed it. It is remembered that the day was warm and pleasant for the season. The gallows was erected north of town, near Sallee's mill, on North river, and the hanging came off between one and two o'clock in the afternoon. It was on his way to the place of execution when "Ben" made his confession, and under the gallows he directed a clergyman to inform the crowd that he was guilty, that he deserved the punishment, that he had no accomplices, that he warned his fellow-servants against any sort of conduct similar to his, and that he hoped to meet everybody in heaven.
source: Pages 298-299,
"History of Marion County" 1884.

Capt. Samuel Wells - Arrived in U.S. 1635 - died 1716 in VA

WETHERSFIELD COMPANY - Samuel Wells, Captain, commissioned May 12, 1670

The first great war that the English waged with the Indians in New England occurred about seventeen years after the landing of the Pilgrims at Patuxet, now Plymouth, and was with a tribe known as the Pequots, living on the borders of Connecticut River, from its mouth to near what is now the city of Hartford.

Each incorporated town in Connecticut Colony, doubtless, had an organized company of militia. Names of commissioned officers of those companies, so far as reported on the colonial records, are here given:

HARTFORD COMPANY - John Allyn, Captain, commissioned Oct. 9, 1973; Thomas Watts, Lieutenant; Nathaniel Standley, Ensign; both commissioned May 13, 1675.
NEW HAVEN COMPANY - John Nash, Captain; Thomas [112] Mason, Lieutenant; both commissioned May 11, 1665; Thomas Miles, Ensign, commissioned Oct. 9, 1673.
NEW LONDON COMPANY - Waitstill Winthrop, *(III-64) Captain; James Avery, Lieutenant; Gabriel Harris, Ensign; all commissioned May 11, 1665.
MILFORD COMPANY - Robert Treat, Captain, commissioned May 11, 1665; William Fowler, Lieutenant, commissioned May 10, 1666.
NORWICH COMPANY - John Mason, Lieutenant; Thomas Leffingwell, Ensign; both commissioned June 26, 1672.
STRATFORD COMPANY - William Curtis, Captain; Joseph Judson, Lieutenant; Stephen Burrett, Ensign; all commissioned June 26, 1672.
FARMINGTON COMPANY - William Lewis, Captain; Samuel Steele, Lieutenant; John Standley, Ensign; all commissioned Oct. 8, 1674.
NORWALK COMPANY - John Olmstead, Ensign, commissioned May 14, 1674.
WETHERSFIELD COMPANY - Samuel Wells, Captain, commissioned May 12, 1670; John Chester, Lieutenant, commissioned May 9, 1672.
STONINGTON COMPANY - Samuel Mason, Lieutenant, commissioned May 12, 1672.
STAMFORD COMPANY - Jonathan Sellick, Captain, commissioned July 9, 1675.
SAYBROOK COMPANY - William Pratt, Lieutenant; William Waller, Ensign; both commissioned Oct. 3, 1661.
RYE COMPANY - Joseph Horten, Lieutenant, commissioned May 10, 1666.
GUILFORD COMPANY - John Graves, Ensign, commissioned Oct. 10, 1667.
LYME COMPANY - William Waller, Lieutenant, commissioned Oct. 12, 1671.
WALLINGFORD COMPANY - Nathaniel Merriman, Lieutenant, commissioned May 9, 1672.

New England Indians

Children of SAMUEL2 (8) and Mary (Boosey) Steel.

(31) 1. JAMES3 (64) b. Aug. 31, 1644; m. July 19, 1687, Anna, dau. of Capt. Samuel Welles; he d. May 15, 1713; she was b. 1668, and d. at Wethersfield, 1739, aged 71; she m. 2d, James Judson of Stratford, Nov. 20, 1718; he (Judson) d. Feb. 25, 1721, aged 71. "He was for many years a merchant at Wethersfield, and was captain of the train band at that place. Capt. Samuel Wells, father of Mrs. Steel, was made a commissioner, and magistrate; he was son of Governor Thomas Welles."

James Steel, Sr. Notes

G-W-51 Gov. Thomas Wells & His wife Alice Tomes Anc & Desc. & The Steele
Family (Research Notes)