When the volunteer members of the Wind Subcommittee were researching the issues in order to write an ordinance to regulate industrial wind turbines in our town, they concurrently prepared a document of their findings, aptly named Findings and Rationale. What follows is the bibliography as it appears in that document. Note: The links are listed; you can access the original document by pasting the address of the link into your web browser.
Part III – Bibliography
This is only a partial listing of the nearly 200 separate documents and references consulted during the Sub-Committee’s research.
From Researchers, Scientists and Physicians:
- Professor Alves-Pereira, Mariana, School of Health Sciences Lusofona University, Portugal; Dept of Environmental Sciences & Engineering, Portugal, and Dr. Branco, Castelo Nuno, MD., Surgical Pathologist and President, Scientific Board, Center for Human Performance “Industrial Wind Turbines, Infrasound and Vibro-Acoustic Disease (VAD)”, May 31, 2007 http://visitwalesnow.org.uk/VAD%20press%20release.pdf
- Vibro-Acoustic Disease” ,2004, Noise & Health: a Quarterly Inter-Disciplinary International Journal, Volume 6, Issue 23, pg 3-20 http://www.wind-watch.org/documents/wp-content/uploads/branco__alvespereira_vibroacoustic_disease.pdf
- American Society of Mammologists, “Unanimous Resolution – Effects of Wind Energy Facilities on Bats and Other Wildlife”, http//www.wind-watch,org/documents/wp-content/uploads/asm-windenergyresolution.pdf
- Dr. Aniel, Albert, MD, Rumford Community Hospital and Dr. Nissenbaum, Michael, MD, Northern Maine Medical Center, ME. Undated letter, but closely following a March 25 2009 presentation to the Maine Medical Association Public Health Committee in MMA headquarters in Manchester. This letter was addressed to Dr. Dora Mills, ME CDC with copies to Governor John Baldacci, Senators P. Bartlett and K. Ray, Representatives J. Piotti and J.A. Tardy, and Dr. C. Danielson, Chair MMA Public Health Committee. The letter circulated on the Internet, but does not appear to be posted. It is available from the Wind Sub-Committee upon request.
- Bajdek, Christopher, J, “Communicating the Noise Effects of Wind Farms to Stakeholders”, October 2007. http://www.hmmh.com/cmsdocuments/Bajdek_NC07.pdf
- Frey, Barbara J. BA, MA and Hadden, Peter J. Bsc, FRICS “Noise Radiation from Wind Turbines Installed Near Homes: Effects on Health”, June 2007. http://www.windturbinenoisehealthhumanrights.com/wtnhhr_june2007.pdf
- Glitzenstein, Eric R., Testimony Before the House Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife and Oceans House Committee on Resources, May 1, 2007. http://www.meyerglitz.com/PDF/Copy%20of%20windtestimony.pdf
- Letter urging DOI Secretary Salazar to suspend work of Wind Turbine/Wildlife Advisory Committee, May 11, 2009, www.windaction.org/?module=uploads&func=download&fileId=1821
- Dr. Hanning, Christopher, Bsc, MB, MRCS, LRCP, FRCA, MD, “Sleep Disturbance and Wind Turbine Noise”, June 2009, http://www.wind-watch.org/documents/wp-content/uploads/Hanning-sleep-disturbance-windturbine-noise.pdf
- Dr. Harry, Amanda, M.B. Ch. B. P.G. DIP. E.N.T., “Wind Turbines, Noise and Health”, February 2007. (UK) http://www.flat-group.co.uk/pdf/wtnoise_health_2007_a_barry.pdf
- Hewson, Thomas, Jr., BSE, Civil Engineering, Princeton University, Pressman, David, “Calculating Wind Power’s Environmental Benefits: Erroneous Assumptions Can Cast Doubt on Wind Power’s Ability to cut Greenhouse Gas Emissions”, July 2009, Power Engineering. http://pepei.pennnet.com/display_article/366600/6/ARTCL/none/none/1/Calculating-Wind-Powerrsquo;s-Environmental-Benefits/
- International Standards Organization, 1996-1971, Recommendations for Community Noise Limits.
- Kamperman, George W., P.E. INCE Bd. Cert. Member Emeritus Fellow Member Acoustical Society of America, National Council of Acoustical Consultants and Richard R. James, INCE, Full Member, “The How To Guide to Siting Wind Turbines to Prevent Health Risks From Sound”, October 28, 2008. http://www.windturbinesyndrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/kamperman-james-10-28-08.pdf If that site does not work, try this one: http://www.savethebluffs.ca/archives/files/kamperman-james-8-26-08-report.pdf
- Maine Medical Association, “Resolution Concerning Wind Energy and Public Health”, adopted at Annual Meeting, September 11-13, 2009. Vote 44 to 6 in favor. http://www.wind-watch.org/documents/resolution-concerning-wind-energy-and-public-health
- Maine Osteopathic Association, “Resolution: Wind Energy and Public Health”, adopted on September 25, 2009 http://www.windaction.org/documents/23515
- Maine State Planning Office, Dept. Of Environmental Protection, “Technical Assistance Bulletin #4 – Noise”, May 2000. http://www.maine.gov/spo/landuse/docs/techassist/techassistbulletins/noisetabulletin.pdf
- Matilsky T., Professor of Physics, Rutgers University, Analysis of Ice Flows and Rotor Throw from Wind Turbines. June 20, 2008, http://xray.rutgers.edu/~matilsky/windmills/throw.html
- Dr. McMurtry, R.Y., M.D., F.R.C.S.-C, F.A.C.S. “Deputation to the Standing Committee On General Government Regarding Bill C-150", April 22, 2009. Ontario, Canada. http://windconcernsontario.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/deputation-to-standing-committee-mcmurtry.pdf
- Dr. Nissenbaum, Michael A., MD, “Affidavit to State of Maine Board of Environmental Pretection, RE: Record Hill Wind LLC”, September 17, 2009. http://www.wind-watch.org/documents/affidavit-of-michael-a-nissenbaum-m-d-in-re-record-hill-windproject-roxbury-oxford-county-maine/
- Pedersen, Eja, and Persson Waye, Kerstin, “Wind Turbines – Low Level Noise Sources Interfering with Restoration?” Environmental Research Letter, Journal 3, January-March 2008. http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1748-9326/3/1/015002/erl8_1_015002.pdf ?request-id=d8f32919-64f3-483e-b49b-27a73edb9226
- Pedersen, Eja, “Human Response to Wind Turbine Noise – Perception, Annoyance and Moderating Factors”, Göteburg University, 2007 (Sweden), Inst. of Medicine. Dept. of Public Health and Community Medicine. http://gupea.ub.gu.se/dspace/handle/2077/4431
- Pedersen, Eja, and Persson Waye, Kerstin, “Wind Turbine Noise, Annoyance and Self-Reported Health and Wellbeing in Different Living Environments”, Occup Environ Med, May 1, 2007. http://oem.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/64/7/480
- Phipps, Robyn, Ph.D., “Evidence in the Matter of Moturimu Wind Farm Application”, heard before the Joint Commissioners, March 2007, (New Zealand). http://www.wind-watch.org/documents/wpcontent/uploads/phipps-moturimutestimony.pdf
- “Visual and Noise Effects Reported by Residents Living Close to Manawatu Wind Farms: Preliminary Survey Results”, 2007. http://www.wind-watch.org/documents/wp-content/uploads/phipps-visualnoiseeffects.pdf
- Dr. Pierpoint, Nina, M.D., Ph.D., “Wind Turbine Syndrome”, pre-publication peer-reviewed manuscript. 2009. www.windturbinesyndrome.com/?page_id=932
- “Testimony Before the New York State Legislature Energy Committee, March 7, 2006. http://www.windturbinesyndrome.com/?p=84
- Rand, Robert W., Full Member INCE, Rand Acoustics, Brunswick, Maine. Email to Diano Circo, North Woods Policy Advocate and Outreach Coordinator, Natural Resources Council of Maine. April 29, 2009. Letter was forwarded via email, does not appear to be posted on the internet but is available upon request from the Wind Sub-Committee
- Stewart, John, The Noise Association, Location, Location ,Location: An investigation into wind farms and Noise, July 2006. http://www.countryguardian.net/Location.pdf
- Todd, Rosengren and Colebatch, “Tuning and Sensitivity of the Human Vestibular System to Low Frequency Vibration”, 2008, Neuroscience Letters 444, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2008.08.011
- Van den Berg, G.P., “Effects of the Wind Profile at Night on Wind Turbine Sound”, published in Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2003, Volume 277, University of Groningen, The Netherlands. www.nowap.co.uk/docs/windnoise.pdf
- Villey-Migraine, Marjolaine, Ph.D., Wind turbines, noise, and infrasound: effects of industrial wind energy on Human Health, December 2004, Universite Paris II Pantheon-Assas. (France). http://www.windwatch.org/documents/wp-content/uploads/villey-migraine_eoliennesinfrasons.pdf
- White, David, Bsc., C. Eng, F.I. Chem. E. “Reduction in Carbon Dioxide Emissions: Estimating the Potential Contribution from Wind-Power”, December 2004, Renewable Energy Foundation. http://www.nortexwind.org/REF%20-%20Wind%20Power%20and%20CO2%20%20Emissions.pdf Note from the webmaster: the site address has been corrected to: Renewable Energy Foundation.pdf
- World Health Organization, “Technical Meeting on Sleep and Health”, January 2004, Bonn, Germany
- World Health Organization, “Guidelines for Community Noise” Ed: Berglund, Lindvall & Schwela, 1999
- Alexander, Lamar “Alexander Says Developers Should Put up Bonds on Wind, Solar Sites”, The Chattanoogan, June 3, 2009, www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_152497.asp Reports conversation between Senator Lamar Alexander and Secretary Of the Interior Ken Salazar on the need to decommissioning bonds to ensure wind towers are removed from the landscape at the end of their life.
- Blaney Fletcher, Maureen, “Green Backlash: The wind turbine controversy”, BobVilla.com, March 24, 2009 http://www.bobvila.com/Howto_Library/Green_Backlash_The_Wind_Turbine_Controversy-Green_Buildings-A3923.html
- “Changes in Wind Turbine Setbacks”, http://www.wind-watch.org/documents/wp-content/uploads/changes-inwind-turbine-setbacks-pdf
- Delaney, Joan “Wind Turbines Blamed for Adverse Health Effects”, Epoch Times, May 13, 2009. Canada. In the discussion, it includes “stray voltage – electrical pollution from the high-voltage wind turbine lines invading residents’ homes”, http://epoch-archive.com/a1/en/us/bos/2009/06-Jun/04/09.pdf
- “Engineer Talks to Orleans Wind Panel About Noise”, Watertown Daily Times, March 26, 2009 http://www.wdt.net/article/20090326/NEWS03/303269953/-1/NEWS
- Madsen, Nancy, “Turbine Noise Dissected”, Watertown Daily Times, NY, Feb. 27, 2009 http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20090227/NEWS03/302279969/0/NEWS
- Massa, Eric, US Congressman, “US Congressman Overwhelmed by Wind Turbine Noise Complaints”. Interview on WELA (Hormel, NY) Radio Program “Connections”, April 25, 2009. transcript by Helderberg Community Watch. http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/05/15/us-congressman-overwhelmed-by-wind-turbinenoise-complaints
- “Modern Wind Turbines Generate Dangerously “Dirty” Electricity” Canada Free Press, April 28, 2009. www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/10634
- Monson, Mike, “Champaign (Illinois) Panel seeks to increase wind-farm buffer zone”, The News-Gazette, May 9, 2009. http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2009/05/09/champaign_panel_seeks_to_increase_windfarm_buffer_zone
- Dr. Nissenbaum, Michael, M.D., Northern State Medical Center, Ft. Kent, ME “Turbines’ Effect on Health isUnderestimated”, Lewiston Sun Journal, May 10, 2009. www.sunjournal.com/story/316588-3/Columnist/Turbines_effect_on_health_is_underestimated
- “No Compromise on Health” Press release from Wind Concerns Ontario, Toronto, April 27, 2009. www.windconcernsontario.wordpress.com
- Rumford Community Hospital Medical Staff, Letter to Gov Baldacci, Dr Mills of Maine CDC, Rumford FallsTimes and Lewiston Sun Journal, February 11, 2009. www.betterplan.squarespace.com/todays-special/2009/2/11/21109-s-is-also-for-safety-what-doctors-aresaying-about-ind.html
- Servo, John, “Proximity to Turbines Leads to Lower Assessments, then Higher Taxes”, Letter to The Daily News. June 12, 2009. In Prattsburgh and Naples, NY Ssate www.thedailynewsonline.com/articles/2009/06/12/opinion/letters/5579719.txt
- Takeda, Tsuyoshi, “Something in the Wind as Mystery Illnesses Rise”, Asahi Shimbun, (Japan) February 6, 2009. http://www.asahi.cpm/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200902060054.html
- Waldermann, Anselm, “Wind Turbines in Europe Do Nothing for Emissions-Reduction Goals”, Der Spiegel Online, February 10, 2009. www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,606763,00.html
- Wiegand, Jim, “Dangers From Above”, Observer Today, May 10, 2009, http://www.observertoday.com/page/content.detail/id/523341.html?nav=5009
- “Wind Farm Kills Taiwanese Goats”, BBC News, May 21, 2009. www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8060969.stm
- “Wind Turbines Still a Health Concern for Group”, Lucknow Sentinel, May 5, 2009, www.lucknowsentinel.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1555728
- Brown, Amy, host, Vinalhaven residents discuss what it has been like living with the windpower project on the island, December 19, 2009, WERU Radio 89.9 FM Radio, Weekend Voices, http://archives.weru.org/?s=vinalhaven
- Curtis, Abigail, "Islanders Flock to unveiling of wind turbines", Bangor Daily News, November 18, 2009, http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/129959.html
- Evans, Dale, host, panel discussion and call in program on Industrial Wind Turbines, December 4, 2009, WERU 89.9 FM Radio, Renewable Radio, http://archives.weru.org/renewable-radio/renewable-radio-12409
- Wickenheiser, Matt, "Island's Energy is Up", Portland Press Herald, November 16, 2009 http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=296430&ac=PHnws
- Wylie, Sally, “Hard Lessons From the Fox Islands Wind Project”, The Working Waterfront Online, December 8, 2009, http://www.workingwaterfront.com/online-exclusives/Opinion/13571/
• Town of Dixmont Wind Turbine Ordinance, November 19, 2009
• Town of Jackson Draft Wind Turbine Ordinance, July 18, 2009 recommendations
• State of Maine, Draft Maine Model Comprehensive Wind Energy Facility Ordinance, May 18, 2009 version.
• Town of Ridgeville, Wisconsin, Wind Energy Conversion Systems Ordinance, August 2008.
• Town of Union, Rock County, Wisconsin, Ordinance No. 2008-06, Wind Energy Systems Licensing Ordinance, Nov 13, 2008
Personal Video Testimonies/Documentaries
1. From Mars Hill, ME., residents speak about how the wind turbines have affected their lives.
- Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp31TWPC5tc
- Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpFLsNiXE0g&feature=related
- Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBPHKWR-wTM&feature=related
2. From the Meyesdale, PA windplant, nearby residents speak about their lives. Affected residents live as far as 1 plus miles as the crow flies to the windplant.
- Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNxvkrgoPLo
- Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utFV2ukOtU&feature=related
- Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOd5tSZF3A4&feature=related
3. Dairy Farmer Scott Smrynka in Lincoln township, Wisconsin tells how the nearby windfarm has affected his milk production and the health of his herds:
4. In Cohocton, NY, Hal Graham, town Justice, describes how leasing his land to a wind developer has impacted his life:
5. “A Rough Wind: The Impact of Industrial Windmill Facilities on Birds and Other Wildlife” produced by the Allegheny Plateau Audubon Society, Johnstown, Pa., 2006.
- Brown, Rufus E., Esq., Brown and Burke, Portland, Maine, “Appeal of Final Order in the Record Hill Wind Project by the Concerned Citizens to Save Roxbury and Other Aggrieved Parties”, September 21, 2009.
- Part One: http://www.windaction.org/?module=uploads&func=download&fileId=1899
- Part Two: http://www.windaction.org/?module=uploads&func=download&fileId=1898
- Cover Letter: http://www.windaction.org/?module=uploads&func=download&fileId=1900
- Burke, John D., Esq. Member, State of Vermont Public Service Board , “I respectfully dissent”, Docket No. 7250, April 16, 2009, explains why he will not support granting a CPG for a windpark citing the environmental destruction with ensuing black bear displacement and consequent danger to residents. http://www.wind-watch.org/documents/wp-content/uploads/7250finalorder-burkedissent.pdf
- Report of the Governor’s Task Force on Wind Power Development, February 14, 2008. Prepared for Governor Baldacci. www.maine.gov/doc/mfs/windpower/pubs/report/wind_power_task_force_rpt_final_021408.pdf
- Attorney General Andrew Cuomo Announces New Ethics Code Adopted by Wind Industry Companies Across NY, July 29, 2009. Posted on the Attorney General’s webpage: www.oag.state.ny.us/media_center/2009/july/july29a_09.html
Top of Page