Pictures of 2nd grade students building towers with solid materials.
The Solids and Liquids Module provides experiences that
heighten students' awareness of the phy
ical world. Matter with which
we interact exists in three fundamental states: solid, liquid, and gas.
In this module first and second graders have introductory experiences
with two of these states of matter, solid and liquid.
FOSS EXPECTS STUDENTS TO
- Develop a curiosity and interest in the objects that make up their world.
- Investigate materials constructively during free exploration and in a guided discovery mode.
- Recognize differences between solids and liquids.
- Explore a number of liquids.
- Observe and describe the properties of solids and liquids.
- Sort materials according to properties.
- Combine and separate solids of different particle sizes.
- Observe and describe what happens when solids are mixed with water.
- Observe and describe what happens when other liquids are mixed with water.
- Use information gathered to conduct an investigation on an unknown material.
- Acquire the vocabulary associated with the properties of solids and liquids.
- Use written and oral language to describe observations.